ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Friday car, a Subaru.

172, Tiguan
The 197 had out-stayed it's welcome somewhat, so after I got it MOT'd I stuck it up for sale. All was quiet for a week or so and then a guy showed some interest. We agreed a price and he drove up for somewhere and took it away. Wasn't even fussed about driving it. I then got another two guys wanting to see it, and another offering me £250 over the price i had it advertised for if he could have it. He didn't seem to grasp it had already sold. Must be a Pistonheads member.

I sat on the money for a week or so and then bugged the crap out of everybody looking for a £6500 car to use on a Friday, the only day of the week we need a second car. I really wanted an E61, but I couldn't find a Sport spec car in my budget that hadn't been to the moon and back. There were plenty of SE spec cars, but i'm not about to retire just yet.

I then started looking at new Skoda's, especially the Fabia Monte Carlo Tech thing and the new Octavia VRS estate. Lovely, but I realised my money would be zero in 3 years time.

I then agreed a price on this:

null_zps1dd1de72.png

But the guy had a private plate on it and sent the V5 off. I couldn't wait for it really.

Last weekend we set off to see this:

null_zps5f3de7f0.png

But predictably there was something wrong with it. It even smelt the same as my old Fiat Coupe, the worlds biggest money pit. I regretably walked away, but it's an amazingly beautiful car. We were already 90 mins from home, but a further 90 mins south was this:

null_zps7ae7e58b.png

I'd agreed a price on this as well. Described as immaculate, it had leather and xenons (but over 94k). I was well set on it. We drove into the Yorkshire dales and along cobbled roads (crazy) to see it. It looked good but it was rusty. Complete wasted journey. 6hrs on the road by the time we got home and the wife was nagging.

I then lost my mind and started looking at these:

null_zps54d76aa2.png

Idiot.

Then I stumbled across this. Miles away again, and SE spec, but it had Msport suspension and seats:

null_zps447fb616.jpg

Talked myself into it, then out.

I began to get a bit fed up, so I decided to search within 15 miles and lower my budget a bit. Straight away I discovered this just down the road from my work:

legacy1_zps81267bb8.png

legacy2_zps3cd8fe6f.png

I left a deposit and collected it the next day. It's since been valeted and later it's having a decent wheel alignment. Being a Friday I've finally driven it.

legacy3_zpsf8f061df.png

null_zps07c32cce.jpg

Well chuffed.

I've never looked at a Subaru before, but it's a Legacy R Spec B. 3.0l, 245bhp, 4wd with lsd's. Heated leather, sat nav, panoramic roof, etc etc etc.

It tows a lot as well, so I might get a towbar put on the back and take the test.

I'm looking forward to the snow and ice already, but only on a Friday.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Spec B, they're Biturbo aren't they.. I imagine with a few mods that'll fly!

The older JDM model was.

These shat money when they came out, but a cracking 2nd hand buy.

They're an NA flat 6 iirc, with a decent exhaust they almost sound porker-esque. For a 'barge' they can hustle themselves around nicely.

172, Tiguan
No it's a 6 cylinder n/a engine. It's plenty quick enough already though tbh.

I've already got a filter on the way and trying to find a Prodrive exhaust for it.

172, Tiguan
That's the thought Mark. As i'm such a young pup though ;) I need to do the test first. We are moving next March so it needs to get from one garage to the other! lol.

Yeah, the ph1 hasn't moved, or started. Currently full up with golf clubs and boxes. I let Andy borrow the ecu out of it ages ago and it's still sat on the roof of the car weeks later. I must do something about that!

Mark, you'd have kittens if you saw what this did to the gallon!!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
They caught my eye a year or so back. Ive actually driven one. They're not quick but they're quick enough day to day I guess.

What they are though is a generally lovely car. Great purchase.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Other than the fuel economy (which I cant see being an issue on a friday only, lol) those are an epic all round car, certainly make a good tow bus and plenty of room in the back for wheels and tyres etc.

172, Tiguan
They caught my eye a year or so back. Ive actually driven one. They're not quick but they're quick enough day to day I guess.

What they are though is a generally lovely car. Great purchase.

This thing will eat a standard 172/182 alive - especially in the mid-range.

172, Tiguan
The Subaru looks smart Jon, are those tints really that dark or is it the pics ?

they are pretty dark tbh.

Other than the fuel economy (which I cant see being an issue on a friday only, lol) those are an epic all round car, certainly make a good tow bus and plenty of room in the back for wheels and tyres etc.

Yep. I managed 25mpg into work this morning and 28 on the short motorway journey bringing it home the other night. After the 197 it's not actually too much of a shock.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah considering how much more car it is than a 197 the economy is ok relative to what you are used to from that I guess!
Would be more a shock compared to a 172

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Great little story at the start, especially the mini part, you were clearly having a meltdown at that point!

Love it though! Proper winter bus!

172, Tiguan
The Tiguan has mud and snow tyres on it this year, so between the cars we shouldn't get stuck!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I've been considering one, there is a high milage 05 plate not far from me, and my Subaru mate tells me they are damn good.
It's just the fuel economy I'm a bit dubious of but an amazing spec car for the money.

172, Tiguan
I'm lucky in that i've come from a 197, so it's not too much to take!

I can't workout how to reset the trip computer on it yet, but today i've driven to work (8 miles mixed roads and traffic) and then gone out for lunch (3 miles stop start) and it's averaging 22mpg.

S4 Avant
22mpg sounds pretty bad, but in reality if you aren't using the car much, it's quite manageable.

it costs me maybe a pound extra in fuel to do the journey to the girlfriends as opposed to doing it in the Clio.

Estates really are the way forwards, not sure I could live with a hatchback these days.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
22mpg sounds bad? Jeez, half the 197s on this forum are doing that!

172, Tiguan
Yeah, it wouldn't be my first choice of car if I needed one everyday, but when i get home from work it'll be parked up and left until next week in all likelyhood. I bought the 197 under the same premise which is why the terrible fuel economy didn't worry me.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
How can a golf get you excited? Probably the most boring car ever made. lol

i had a golf for a bit. Struggled to stay awake in it.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Lovely car. Great sleeper. Hampshire police ran an unmarked legacy for a while looked stunning.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cry me a river with all the 197 MPG bashing in here. I swear some guys drive round town on the limiter or something?

With the two Ive owned, the lowermost I've seen it is 29mpg. Hardly the end of the world.

Cool story.

172, Tiguan
Cosworth filter fitted. Prodrive boxes bought and Hayward & Scott centre section provisionally booked in for fitting (though i may have wimped out on the unsilenced option...)

Averaging 20mpg. lol!

Great car though.

172, Tiguan
Thought i'd update this in a spare 10 mins. I've still got this and, to be honest, I'm quite enjoying it.

The big downside is that it's quite thirsty if you just use it locally. It's too be expected, but an average of about 22mpg on my commute to work (ish) is a pain. I did do a long run in it a month or so back and managed 30 though, so not too bad for a big 4wd 6 cylinder 250bhp estate.

I've had no end of problems with punctures. It's had a dodgy valve, a bit of metal through one tyre and I've then had 3 of the rims refurbed as they corrode where the bead of the tyre sits, allowing air to escape. 2 new tyres later and it appears fine.

Apart from that it's had a new caliper, which, once i'd found one available new wasn't actually too bad price wise. The real issue i'm finding is that nobody sells parts for this spec of legacy and stuff thats listed for it invariably turns out to be wrong.

The car also got it's new exhaust last week. I booked it into AAS in Newcastle who got recommended to me. I had to wait about 9 weeks for the appointment but the work they've done is first class. They had some lovely cars in the unot being worked on. He said most of their work was race cars these days.

I'll probably hold on to it for the rest of the year and then sell before winter. Demand for these is actually surprisingly strong and there appears to be some sort of waiting list on the Legacy forum which is strange. By all accounts they only made 50 spec B manual tourers.

CEE700FF-9EB9-4A65-A875-9A914D68C329_zps96xahyws.jpg

0DA250D3-E225-46CB-803F-1CF389C1BFB6_zpso0m1j39y.jpg

808F1781-D3D1-4391-A2AE-062532353785_zpsxpbuiaen.jpg

7F1222A2-03ED-4D61-9923-211212B0CCBE_zpsl2bd0d2i.jpg

58B279A1-D7E6-4EF0-8FD2-67DED5E431B6_zpszofbhnem.jpg