ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Gay Little Track Toy...

ph1 track weapon
mid way through giving mine a huge overhaul, and should be on track mid summer. Cracking fun little cars. Mines the lowly 1.6, but have a Torsen to go on along with a load of other toys. Senn a few with a supercharger conversion thats good for 180 brake, and cost of that is sub £1k, so will probably be my project for the winter

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Such a good looking little car, especially with the hardtop. Need to convince my mum that her mk2.5 needs lowering as it looks like a 4x4 in comparison to yours and rather shat.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Looks quality and a very nice spec too! Plan to get it on track soon? The lack of power might frustrate you a bit at first but once you get used to how quick they are in the bends there won't be much you can't stick with on a nice twisty track :)

Edit: Do you know if it's had the geo done recently? If not I very strongly recommend it, totally transforms the car. Tweaked my rear toe by less than 5 mins the other day (1/12th of a degree) and you can really feel the difference. If you're near someone who knows the cars well that would be best, alternatively let me know the intended use and I'll list a geo to use.

Last edited:
  Swift Sport
Looks quality and a very nice spec too! Plan to get it on track soon? The lack of power might frustrate you a bit at first but once you get used to how quick they are in the bends there won't be much you can't stick with on a nice twisty track :)

Yes mate, might try somewhere safe like Bedford first as this is my first proper RWD car. Feels very different to my previous cars which will give me a new challenge :)

Swift Sport
Edit: Do you know if it's had the geo done recently? If not I very strongly recommend it, totally transforms the car. Tweaked my rear toe by less than 5 mins the other day (1/12th of a degree) and you can really feel the difference. If you're near someone who knows the cars well that would be best, alternatively let me know the intended use and I'll list a geo to use.

Yeah the previous owner claims the geometry has been done, I've no reason to doubt him as he was a decent bloke with a Motorsport background.

Sold the EP3?

Yep, I wanted something cheaper and more fun.

Swift Sport
Tried it with the roof off today, the exhaust sounded great!

8606866523_f533870f97.jpg

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Looks awesome ste, I want one but cant bring myself to actually buy one.

Swift Sport
Looks awesome ste, I want one but cant bring myself to actually buy one.

It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it's so much fun... It's one of those cars that's fun to just cruise around in on a nice day, I couldn't really say that about the Civic.

It looks mint with the top down! Pretty much how I would want an mx to look if I owned one.

I am so F**king jealous.

This doesn't work with Torsen or Viscous Diffs. The only thing you'd find out is if you have a welder or not. Only real way to tell is to do a 4K launch and see if you have one or two black lines behind you...

Pwned. Just what I was told when I got my RSturbo.

Pwned. Just what I was told when I got my RSturbo.

It's just the way Torsens work, they need some sort of resistance for them to lock. That's why you've got to apply the handbrake in the snow slightly for them to lock up. Same on my MR2.
And a viscous isn't worth having; better off just running a welder!

Swift Sport
Well I've had the Mazda a few weeks now I can honestly say I love it. It seems to put a smile on my face no matter how I'm driving or where I'm going, it's just cool. Last weekend I drove with the roof down from a trackday to a wedding reception only stopping off for a suit jacket along the way.

I've got Bedford Autodrome booked for the 4th May with Warren in his MR2 which should be interesting, especially as we've both gone from FWD to RWD at about the same time and drove like clowns in our Clio's. Also going to be at the Donington Historic Festival on the MX5Nutz club stand providing my car is in one piece!

8681999368_d5c1fca495_z.jpg

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
I really wan't one all of a sudden, a Mk1, preferably.

Not that I could afford the insurance, and I'd rather not sell the Mini.

Swift Sport
First proper trackday in the MX-5 today at Bedford, along with Warren (Brown Bear/Force India) in his MR2. Easily the most fun trackday I've done, with several spins and lots of drifting... Couldn't believe neither of us got black flagged (this time!).

942768_10152766772320321_1774776471_n.jpg

Ph2 172 MB 77/468
must keep my eye out for this ste, went out in mine today, although im still waiting for the superpro kit to get some handling back, managed to bust my wheelarch with my lowness and fat tyres. so new tyres on the way.

ps. white is the best colour....

Swift Sport
Quick clip from the trackday last weekend...

​Apologies for the awful wind noise!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 172
I have a couple of friends on MX5Nutz that I do trackdays with and they are very capable cars. Both of theirs have been set up by Rodderson and Rich's Orange MX5 handles very well and is a good match for the Clio.

Listerine & Poledo
when looking to buy one of these, what spec is the one to get? i keep hearing things like eunos / LSD / etc and i have no idea!

Mark 2.5 sport / SV-T

The ones with fixed headlights.

You get the diff, 6-speed box, bilsteins, 150hp without any fettling, a better interior, chassis bracing and lights that project actual light. And fog lights.

It makes sense

Clio 172
Mark 2.5 sport / SV-T

You get the diff, 6-speed box, bilsteins, 150hp without any fettling, a better interior, chassis bracing and lights that project actual light. And fog lights.

It makes sense

What sort of price are they?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
1.8 Eunos spec 'V' (Is that right???)

- Bilstein shocks and springs
- Jasma 4.2.1 manifold with full system
- 4-point Carbing cage
- 4.3 Torsen LSD
- Excedy clutch
- Apexi induction kit
- Momo alcantara steering wheel
- TRS harness' and tow strap
- GV splitter
- Pro Race 1.2's with Federal RS-R's

Having a lot of fun getting used to it, very different to the cars I've owned in the past.

1.8 + LSD = Win

Swift Sport
Mark 2.5 sport / SV-T

It makes sense

I've got most of that and paid £1800. It's not particularly 'fast' but I don't suppose any are without forced induction, but I'm happy anyway... I'd have bought something faster if that was what I wanted.

Swift Sport
I really do like how low and wide this looks. Are you doing anything to it other than driving it to within an inch of its life?

Thanks dude... It's just a track/weekend toy, it handles nicely and it's quick enough for me so for now I'll keep it as it is until I get bored... I've got people trying to talk me into supercharging or turbo'ing it but I can't really justify the extra outlay at the moment.

947385_10152797004620321_599692429_n.jpg

970671_10152797004760321_1627108871_n.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
I've got most of that and paid £1800. It's not particularly 'fast' but I don't suppose any are without forced induction, but I'm happy anyway... I'd have bought something faster if that was what I wanted.

Cool, there aren't many "bad" 5s anyway....until people start to destroy them with sik stance, dildo gear shifter etc.

None are fast, at all, until a V8 or blower gets shoved in the nose.

I could have spent less for my SV-T but I didn't want to travel to all ends of the country, did want a warranty and wasn't having one without air-con again...and leather.

Oh, have a check to see if you've got chassis bracing, some late mk1s had it from factory and it makes more difference than anything you could do with suspension settings. If not, get some.
:)