ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Golf Mk2 Gti championship qualifying lap

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Nice! Whats the spec of the car? Any pictures of it? (I'll keep my eye out for you!)

Clio 172
562724_344915795561709_231277293592227_865062_288391491_n.jpg
imagejpeg

Clio 172
They're essentially std, with the safety stuff, rollcage etc. allowed mods are suspension, rebuild on engine, std head, intake and down pipe etc. essentially all cars are similar and it's mainly in the chassis setup and driver...

306 GTI-6
Nice clean lap mate, looks like you can pedal pretty well - whats the spec on the car?

Was going to say exactly the same, always try and watch the pedal/foot action on these type of vids if possible. Nice mix of left foot braking, and heel-toe.

Were the other cars on out/in laps, or is that the speed difference between front of grid and the back?

Clio 172
Some of them are in a different class for 8 valve engines rather than 16v..

90% of the left foot is actually a pressure tap, using kerbs can knock the pads off the disc a bit so a slight dab before your actual braking makes sure you feel the same pedal every lap. Also good if you've got a split line cause you'll feel the soggy pedal before the corner rather than when you go to brake.. My race video is funny, oversteer everywhere! It was like a monsoon on Sunday!

306 GTI-6
I did notice you doing it on the straights, but didnt know the reason. Thanks for explaining, and you learn something new every day!

Clio 172
That's Lewis, he raced with us last year in a sister car. He's done caterams, Porsche scholarship etc. knows how to pedal a car, no mechanical sympathy tho :-D

He missed out on the championship at the end of last year by shearing the flywheel off the crank half a lap before the end, somehow managed to hobble it over the line though! Needed a new engine and gearbox after that lol

Clio 172
Here's my race video from Silverstone this weekend...
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JndNeAfZr4[/video]

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Much damage from the contact? Not watched all of it yet but good driving.

Not bad actually, the chap in the red car that hit me on the first lap is actually run by the company i work/drive for, it bent his track rod but didn't do anything to mine at all.

The only damage was a few scuffs and a bit of plastic trim really. As it's not my car i didn't want to make a mad lunge on the car ahead so just waited for him to make a mistake.. Good clean(ish) racing with a good friend so it's all good!

Great bit of in-car there and some great skills! the 16valves look quick, I used to sprint against a lad called Lee Franklin years ago he had an 8 valve car and he was quick in that, he used the sprints to prep it I think, can't think which championship he raced in, well done and look foreward to any further updates.

Regards Russ......

Was that Franklin motorsport? I think a woman drove it for a bit last year..

I could'nt be sure to be honest as it was a while back when CCC ran their own Sprint championship early 90's, he may have set up his own team up I don't know, he originaly raced motor bikes from what I can re-call.

Regards Russ.......

I don't remember my mk2 Golf being that quick! It was an 8v but it had a 286 cam in it. Some good driving from yourself, can't help but think that nutters driving style is slowing him down.

Clio 172
Oversteer on the turn in is fine, but he was then going into massive understeer mid-corner. I had so much better mid corner and entry speed in comparison which gave me a much better run down the straights..