ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Ipod and my 182

182FF c/w Recaros
I'd like to move away from CD's in my car and was ust wondering what's possible with my 182 and my Ipod (Nano).

Can anyone give a summary of what's possible? Can I hook it up and control it through my steering wheel controls for example?

Also any rough idea on costs, say from the most basic (just connecting my Ipod to the Aux of my stereo) to a sophisticated/elaborate setup?

TIA

106 GTi
Denison Ice Link is the best route, do a search on Dension will bring up a few threads.

I-pod plugs into the cd changer port on and can be controlled by ther h/unit and steering wheel controls. Dont get the fm tuner based ones they sound sh*te.

106 GTi
Thats the thing - Make sure you get the correct one for Update or Tuner list (says which on the headunit).

Then choose if you want to cradle mount or dock cable and hide in the glove box. I went for the later and was up and running in a few mins.

better watch mate, some of the ipod interfaces dont work with the nano.. my one doesnt, but it works fine with my 30gb

182FF c/w Recaros
Can you elaborate on that a bit.

I don't raely know anything about ICE and IPODs:eek: (besides that fact that I have one lol)

I should add that all i'm interested in is playing my tunes through my car from my Ipod. Don't want/need any radio stuff as i'll just use the standard radio for that for the odd time that i use the radio.

Will probably want to hide it int he glveo box rather than have a Cradle either so that'll be the Dock Cable I guess.

Also, my Ipod Nano is the 2GB version purchased in Feb 06.

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Rich said:
Denison Ice Link is the best route, do a search on Dension will bring up a few threads.

I-pod plugs into the cd changer port on and can be controlled by ther h/unit and steering wheel controls. Dont get the fm tuner based ones they sound sh*te.

shows how much you know, they are really good with good sound quality

106 GTi
But not ever as good as going through the Cd or Aux port, you will only ever get FM quality as opposed to CD quality.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
that link is also only a ipod connection where as the fm transmitters use 3.5 jack so works with anything that takes headphones

1.2 16v
Seriously dont bother with an fm transmitter, the sound quality is seriously poor in comparison to some other stuff out there and its a right fiddle.

Ive got this installed in my car and its brilliant http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4679&cadid=fb51720247a88de907a568e2bdfb9b68

The lead to connect your ipod to is supplied with it and your ipod can sit nicely in your glove box, its fantastic.

Then all you have to do is buy the steering control adaptor (about £35) for it and your sorted. In total it cost me about £250 including having everything professionally fitted.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
edwardmifflin said:
Seriously dont bother with an fm transmitter, the sound quality is seriously poor in comparison to some other stuff out there and its a right fiddle.

Ive got this installed in my car and its brilliant http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4679&cadid=fb51720247a88de907a568e2bdfb9b68

The lead to connect your ipod to is supplied with it and your ipod can sit nicely in your glove box, its fantastic.

Then all you have to do is buy the steering control adaptor (about £35) for it and your sorted. In total it cost me about £250 including having everything professionally fitted.

haha but this is what im saying, what if you dont have an ipod ive got an n91 and that done use an ipod connect. it uses a 3.5 jack and i get good quality off my fm transmitter

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
edwardmifflin said:
The fact that your flogging them in the 'for sale' section has nothing to do with your opinion of course :)

well the only reason i know they are good is cos i use one everyday.

yes im selling them, but only cos i think they are good

1.2 16v
andy_con said:
haha but this is what im saying, what if you dont have an ipod ive got an n91 and that done use an ipod connect. it uses a 3.5 jack and i get good quality off my fm transmitter

Thats fair enough im sure it is the best (and only) option for hooking up a phone, however this guy does have an ipod - therefore the best option is not an fm transmitter, its got to be a stereo with ipod interface!

182FF c/w Recaros
edwardmifflin said:

That does look nice but in all honesty I don't wnt to spend thaat kind of dosh.

I've no desire to change the head unit either. All i'll probably do is have my Ipod in the Glove box (guess i'll have to get someone to drill a hole to feed the wire to the back of the Unit?) and go from there.

As long as I have limited controls from my wheel (and possibly the display showing some info(?)) then that'll do fine.

£100 sounds a bit much just for that but if I can get my ipod working in my car with little fuss then it'll be worth it.:D

Thanks for the replies.

106 GTi
domtheone said:
All i'll probably do is have my Ipod in the Glove box (guess i'll have to get someone to drill a hole to feed the wire to the back of the Unit?) and go from there.

No need to drill dock cable can run through the hole for the catch or next to the glove box light.

domtheone said:
As long as I have limited controls from my wheel (and possibly the display showing some info(?)) then that'll do fine.

With the Denison, Stalk will allow you to skip track in the playing paly list, allow you to turn volume up and down and flip between sources.

Display will show track number of the given tune in the playlist.

Clio 200 FF Cupped
I posted this on cliotrophy recently, only works for the Update list HU though, not the tuner list:

I know a lot of people want to keep their cars standard, audio included but would still like some sort of ipod functionality without spending £100+ on a Denison etc...

After much oohing and aahing I decided to take a bit of a risk and buy a cable from ebay, for £20 you get a lengthy cable (bout 1.5m I think) and one end has a connecter which plugs into the rear of the update list head unit, whilst the other end has a normal headphone-style plug that you can plug straight into your ipod (or generic mp3 player bla bla) The sound quality is good, well as good as it can be through the standard trophy unit and speaker set up and it's far superior to an itrip or other fm transmitter job.

I'm pretty happy with the result anyway, cheap at £20, fast delivery and whilst it won't charge your ipod or give you any control functionality, at least you're getting good sound through the system, and i've found with a decent cradle you can control the ipod quite safely. The cable itself can easily thread out of the back of the dash without any need to remove anything so it's basically a 2 minute job!

Anyway just a heads up, have no connection with the seller etc etc, but thought it would interest a few people on here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230025101522

Andy,

ps. Apparently it only works with the 'update list' HU, so not for older 182's with the 'tuner list'

BMW 330d :)
edwardmifflin said:

I've bought exactly the same unit and fitted it myself. However I've heard that for the steering wheel remote its a dash off job. Im not really wanting this, if im going to sell the car in a while...