ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mk2 172 won't turn over, I can't figure what it is

Black 172
Hi, I'm not going to pretend like I know what I'm talking about so I will share all I know about my problem. I own a mk2 172 2002 which has just reached 67000 miles? Basically I drove for about 50 miles yesterday and pulled up for some chips as you do and when I pulled off I got about 2 meters until the engine cut out like a super smooth stall, I managed to roll it back to where I was parked and now the engine won't turn over. All of the electrics are working fine, new battery in the key and all of the usual lights go out when I turn the key. However when I go to switch the engine on the only noise I hear is what I'm guessing is the aux belt turning (which it is) The engine doesn't try turning what so ever. Also I don't know if it's related but the other day I topped my oil up and I have noticed today that it is dripping from the oil tray, I don't know if this is relevant. Any help and ideas would be very much appreciated

Black 172
I've just spoken to the previous owner and apparently it hasn't been done. I would have thought I'd atleast hear something if the belt had gone? I've been assuming it would be more electrical so more along the lines of the sensor like naith said ? Or the plugs?

It doesn't sound good I'm afraid. Once they've bent valves, they won't make any noise. Just spin really quickly.

Open the oil cap and try to start it. Look at the cam and see if you can see it turning.

Black 172
Dan@sjm, you were correct, sorry for doubting you. I thought I'd check it out and it had broke. Problem discovered atleast Thankyou both for replying

Westfield, 182, 200
I don't what to steal the thread, but did the belt snap or did a tensioner fail?

Cheers, Ian.

Black 172
Thanks dan, I will probably be in contact with you at some point. I am considering rebuilding the engine. Ian the belt had snapped, I took the cover off and was able to pull one end out