ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new 172 seems to lack power. Induction problem?

Clio 172, Saxo VTS
Hi, Im new on here and just (finally) bought a 51 plate 172. It has covered 76k and I feel I got it for a bargain price. It has a few problems which I have now sorted but the main one is that it seems to lack power. It has an induction kit fitted which looks like a cheap one, and I feel that it could be down to this. It feels as though it is being starved of air as the more I put my foot down the slower it seems to go.

Could this be the problem? I am on the look out for a standard air box but until then is there anyway I can check if it is the air filter? I have had it plugged into the diagnostics and all the sensors etc are doing there job and the MAF sensor is giving out the correct readings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

S'trollin on size 7s
could well be that its sucking in too much warm air and choking the engine. only way to know for sure though is to rule it out ..
swap it for a standard airbox ,even ifg it doesnt change it you havent wasted your money because open air inductions kits are shite on 1*2s anyway.lol

Clio 172, Saxo VTS
Cheers bud. Im on the look out for one but the only one I can find is on Ebay and the guy wanted £50 for it. Find that a bit steep to be honest like. haha.

No MAF sensor on your engine for starters.

First step is to get a standard airbox back in there asap. Don't bother linking up the acoustic valve.

Ph 1 172
Like said already induction kits are a waste of time on rs clios best bet is to get a phase 1 airbox and fit that.

Ph1
Might be worth sticking it on the rollers to see whats going on. Open IK's are bad but what your describing sounds more than sucking in a bit of hot air

Clio 172, Saxo VTS
was thinking possibly timing. The guy I got it from said it was done in 2006 but he just took it in part ex and was simply written in the service book so no proof really. Thats one of the first things on my agenda, just if the engine is goosed I dont really want to pay £500+ for a cambelt change. And regarding the sensor, the one that goes into the induction kit?maybe air temp sensor then? :)

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
was thinking possibly timing. The guy I got it from said it was done in 2006 but he just took it in part ex and was simply written in the service book so no proof really. Thats one of the first things on my agenda, just if the engine is goosed I dont really want to pay £500+ for a cambelt change. And regarding the sensor, the one that goes into the induction kit?maybe air temp sensor then? :)

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Its not a sensor, its an oil breather pipe IIRC