ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new 172FF brakes

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all, picked up my new car. First off WOW, amazing car for the money and loving it:) . Question though, I notice if I slam my brakes as hard as poss the pedel hits the metal as it were. It still seems to stop well but I am not sure if it should hit the metal? Should note that when I got the car a week ago it came with new rear disks (so should be new pads aswell) and also has the ESP option.

Any help/advise would be great cheers:)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Right, okay then will get it back to the garage I got it from. Wasn't sure if it might have been the esp/abs taking over things. But as long as I know it isn't normal then thats fine. Cheers:D

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The brake on 1*2's can be a bit tempremental . One minute they are ok , next they suffer from brake fade . Like markcup says try bleeding them . Your pads might be knackered as well . It won't be your abs as you'll feel that judder through your brake pedal and the esp only kicks in when your gettin it out of shape and its applies the brake to whatever wheel it feels necessary .

You could look at upgrading your pads and discs as well .

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The brake on 1*2's can be a bit tempremental . One minute they are ok , next they suffer from brake fade . Like markcup says try bleeding them . Your pads might be knackered as well . It won't be your abs as you'll feel that judder through your brake pedal and the esp only kicks in when your gettin it out of shape and its applies the brake to whatever wheel it feels necessary .

You could look at upgrading your pads and discs as well .

Cheers for that, don't think I have gone close to the point of fading yet though, my last car was a pug 306 td (tuned) and the brakes on that thing did fade:dapprove: . Still getting used to all the power at the mo, so think the standard brakes should do for now. All the reviews I read said it has great brakes in the main anyway?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Ignore the fading. That's not a problem.

You've got no pedal pressure? The pedal is going right to the floor? If that's so, you have no brakes.

It seems to be fine on gentle to medium braking, it's just if you brake full on from 60-0 it brakes well but it hits the metal and holds there. Kind of still stops well but never getting much abs response at any point.

I had a problem with mine not being very effective, and the pedal going to the floor a few months back, so took it to Renault, and they bled them, and said they were fine. They weren't any better though. Sometimes it feels like they're not working at all, but trip after trip to Renault, and they still say they are fine.

Getting new discs and pads tomorrow, so see if that cures it.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I had a problem with mine not being very effective, and the pedal going to the floor a few months back, so took it to Renault, and they bled them, and said they were fine. They weren't any better though. Sometimes it feels like they're not working at all, but trip after trip to Renault, and they still say they are fine.

Getting new discs and pads tomorrow, so see if that cures it.

Hope mine just needs bleeding, I dont need that type of hastle:(

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Well I have had my brakes bled now (so they say?) and they still dont seem much better in that the pedal still hits the floor. Any one have any other ideas that I can look into?

Cheers:eek:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I think it's dangerous to drive the car!

They arn't that bad they do work well kind of. It is just the travel on the pedal seems short and hits the floor. Going to take it back again tomorrow and see what they say. I am hoping he has another in stock so I can compare it.

Oh and Rob I will come to a meet but I think I will be to skint to make it to the one in december at the ski place. Time of year and all:(. I will see what I can do though;)

mini cooper (RIP 172)
k, where not goin on the slops, i'm skint too;) just food, bowling and genral titing about:D

should be lots of meets next yer tho, tryin to set up 1 or 2 track, rolling road days as welll:race:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
k, where not goin on the slops, i'm skint too;) just food, bowling and genral titing about:D

should be lots of meets next yer tho, tryin to set up 1 or 2 track, rolling road days as welll:race:

Track day sounds good to me, never done one:) (or a meet for that matter:eek: ).
As for my brakes, I was thinking could it be the fluid being to low or would that make the light come on the dash. I have been thinking so far it can't be that bad as there has been no warning lights yet?

Well if they have been bled and are still hitting the back maybe the master cylinder is on its way out. While ur your sorting all this i would have stuck some braided hoses on (best brake mod you can do in my opinion)

BMW M135i
Mine does the same thing if you press the pedal very hard, I know theres no air in the lines and the brakes still work exactly as I expect them to. An emergency stop will see the ABS kick in and the seatbelt has to stop me putting my head through the windscreen.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Mine does the same thing if you press the pedal very hard, I know theres no air in the lines and the brakes still work exactly as I expect them to. An emergency stop will see the ABS kick in and the seatbelt has to stop me putting my head through the windscreen.

Yep, thats just like mine. Has yours always been like this and have you ever looked into it further. I just tried the pedal on a friends 1.2 clio and hers didn't do this. Going to take it back to the garage I got it from today and see what they say.