ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new CPU

Right just got my AMD 4200 X2 Dual Core cpu and its sat here on my desk awaiting an install. Its an upgrade from my single core 4000+ which has been a very decent chip by all accounts.

However i am facing something of a dilema. MY 4000+ had 1mb L2 Cache and was clocked higher than my new chip. However, my new chip is dual core etc.

Will i ACTUALLY see an increase in FPS in games or not? friends of mine claim that i will but im slightly unsure really.

thoughts?

p.s this is my final upgrade to my 939 system before i go Intel so no comments about wasting money on amd please. ta./

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
not really :)

what are the other specs of your system?

a processor helps an' all but realistcally;

the more powerful the CPU the more kinds of applications you will be able to run on your system...

to see a boost in fps you want to be looking at a gfx card upgrade, more ram etc

yeh thought as much, well ill install it and run a 3dmark test. If i get a better score then woo! if not then ill just whack it on the bay.

Ill be getting a whole new C2D system soon so i need to be saving for that really. Ill try overclocking the bugger though. Ive never overclocked a cpu - presumably its relatively easy?

A4 Avant
I bought custom pc magazine and there was an article in it about how they benchmark games. They went from a 2.2ghz cor2 duo processor to an overclocked 3.2ghz. In most games they only saw 1 or 2 fps increase. The graphics card was by far the limiting factor.

So based on that i'd imagine day to day windows usage would be speeded up, but I doubt you'll notice any difference in games.