ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new GTI

3 Series xdrive
What are the things to look out for with these then?
The one I'm looking at is 1998, are there any differences between these and the slightly newer models? I notice it doesn't have any side rubbing strips but some others do, odd.

What are they like for rust?

Any help appreciated!

The biggest and most expensive problem is the rear axle trailing arm bearings, refurbed axles cost around £350,

timing belt tensioner pulleys are prone to breaking, so make sure its had the timing belt and pulleys changed.

Took some fresh photo's today. You can see it without the splitter a bit better too - looks much better now, I reckon.

5496869463_bca9fc81e3_z.png

5496868089_67a3e19191_z.png

5497461858_bc25e9b2d3_z.png

5497463432_9961da614f_z.png

5497462410_d586215f95_z.png

5496866433_c6d15f1d20_z.png

It's still absolutely awesome :D

Aye, it'll be staying like this!
Going to give it a minor paint correction closer to summer, replace the boot-lock surround badge, fit these 266mm brakes that I've had for too long and just enjoy it!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I've only just seen this buddy!

You need a Pug sport exhaust and its win.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
New suspension planned? Looks a tad high. (says me)

The camera really does that car justice mate, an absoloute stunner, I love the interior!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
New suspension planned? Looks a tad high. (says me)

The camera really does that car justice mate, an absoloute stunner, I love the interior!

This, needs a little bit of lows, nothing to daft maybe 30mm?

225 Cup & Williams
Absolute peach of a car callum really took good care of that car looks soooo much better with the laguna splitter of now though.

Disastra Coupe
Didnt realise it had leather in it!!

It shouldnt btw, that was only fitted in the later ones, with color coded bumpstrips as well :)

Looks much better without the splitter btw!!!!

The later one's didn't have color coded bumpstrip's if you mean the door's, they just didn't have any bumpstrip's at all. Bumper bumpstrip's still stayed black.

Not updated this in a while, but I've finally fitted the 266mm brakes and that's about it!
Turns out they were more hassle than I thought, both hubs ended up needing to be drilled after snapping the brake disc locating screws. Major ball ache.
They also rubbed quite badly on the wheel weights, so I've had to grind them down.

Before:

5746704180_bca5bdc125_z.png

During:

5746152115_29ddd66c5b_z.png

5746153637_392e5457d5_z.png

After:

5746704700_443274b1d3_z.png

Old ones are for sale if anyone knows of someone with a 106 and is in need of brakes (long shot!): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....49660&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Going to be up for sale soon as job loss means I've just not got the money to keep it going unfortunately, plus I'm planning on a Euro-trip this summer, so it doesn't make sense to just leave it at home, especially when I'll be going to uni this September. Will be sad to see it go, as it's been a brilliant car.
Needs must. :dapprove:

Will do Rob! Cheers.

About £2,400 Steve - roughly same as what I bought it for.
I'm the year above Eve. Only going to uni this year because I sucked at A-levels! lol

Jesus Christ triplepost!

Flame Red Delight
Absolutely! It's the last thing I want to do but... No other option really!

I think I'll be back in another Clio soon enough though.

You really dont want to sell it mate, it has tainted my view on cars now. I really have realised how immaculate that car was for its age, tbh it deserves to be put in a garage for 10 years and come out again and it will be worth a fortune. Make sure it goes to a good home if you do sell, needs a good owner :).

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
If you do decide to sell mate let me know, my brother may be interested.

You really dont want to sell it mate, it has tainted my view on cars now. I really have realised how immaculate that car was for its age, tbh it deserves to be put in a garage for 10 years and come out again and it will be worth a fortune. Make sure it goes to a good home if you do sell, needs a good owner :).

Don't worry Callum, I'll hold out for the right buyer, got a fair while to sell it - so it's not going to go to a bad home!
Really wish I could keep it, but every thing bad that could happen has happened! Just sods law really, nothing I can do about it.

If you do decide to sell mate let me know, my brother may be interested.

Aye, will do Luke :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You done the right thing about the anchors i think... The single worst problem with the GTi/VTS is the brakes, ive owned mountain bikes with better brakes.

120d M Sport
I'd just whack out the sandpaper (400, 600, 800 grit) and some autosol, then go over them with a PC if you have one. I did a quick job of it on mine (under 2 hours) and they've come up nicely.

Car looks fantastic btw mate, shouldn't struggle to get what you're asking or thereabouts.

Last edited:
Oh aye! Good idea, that'd be a damn sight cheaper actually as I've already got loads and loads of paper & a DA polisher :D

I sure hope so; it really is in great condition! Would love to keep it, garage it and make it concours or something, but I just can't afford it :dapprove:
Someone else's turn to enjoy it, I guess.