ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new GTI

120d M Sport
Looks much better without the splitter. It didn't come with one for a reason; it doesn't need one, people put them on sometimes for the sake of it I think!

I think it'll grow on me the more I see it without one.
It does look a lot cleaner now though IMO.

Just ordered a repair kit for my 266mm brakes - so fresh piston seals etc. I think I'm going for OEM pads & discs for now, as I'm on quite a tight budget atm :eek:
But effectively brand new brakes can't be a bad thing!
Trying to decide if it would be worth upgrading to braided lines on the front?

Z4
Chris P they are that good imo, as lukas1 says cheap as chips and great fun, more fun than my trophy

I may have to make a cheeky purchase if that's the case lol.

No massive rush, will keep an eye open for a low mileage minter, hopefully it will hold it's money alright. There's one not far from me for 4k! Ok it's only done 30,000 miles but even still...

I think a set of willams wheels would look good on a gti! Either that or 205 gti wheels anyway.

182 Ly ff.
I had a di red 106 gti for 6 yrs till I wrote it off! :-( absolutely top cars, loved every minute of it!!

120d M Sport
won't you need a different master cylinder?

This man possibly has a point here. I've got the 266mm kit as said, pads looked practically brand new and the discs have got plenty of life too, ran through some fresh fluid and bled the front brakes after fitting them. They stop the car well don't get me wrong, definetely an improvement but theres no initial "bite" in the pedal like you'd expect. I put this down to a bigger master cylinder being required, or at worst a new servo pipe possibly.

Obviously speaking with experience, I'd reccomend looking at these over braided lines mate.

I may have to make a cheeky purchase if that's the case lol.

No massive rush, will keep an eye open for a low mileage minter, hopefully it will hold it's money alright. There's one not far from me for 4k! Ok it's only done 30,000 miles but even still...

I think a set of willams wheels would look good on a gti! Either that or 205 gti wheels anyway.

As a guideline, my mate paid £2700 last month for a late '52 plate with 39k in good condition. Not sure it's worth spending much over 2.5k on a 106!

This man possibly has a point here. I've got the 266mm kit as said, pads looked practically brand new and the discs have got plenty of life too, ran through some fresh fluid and bled the front brakes after fitting them. They stop the car well don't get me wrong, definetely an improvement but theres no initial "bite" in the pedal like you'd expect. I put this down to a bigger master cylinder being required, or at worst a new servo pipe possibly.

Obviously speaking with experience, I'd reccomend looking at these over braided lines mate.

I've heard using 23mm cylinder from a 306/206 GTI 180 gives Epic bite with 266mm's. I'll just have to see how I get on with it - I've already spent enough this week! lol

120d M Sport
It might not bother you but I find it frustrating...the car stops very quickly but I'm applying a fair bit of pressure to the pedal and theres not a great deal of feel.

Quality thread btw, 9 pages!! Quite enjoyed seeing some of the pics in here and hearing peoples experiences with them.

There's some 23mm ones on ebay, so it's not going to be too much hassle to change, I guess. Apart from bleeding the brakes..

Haha, 9 pages for like 6 pictures! That's just silly :rasp:

RS2'd Trophy
There's some 23mm ones on ebay, so it's not going to be too much hassle to change, I guess. Apart from bleeding the brakes..

Haha, 9 pages for like 6 pictures! That's just silly :rasp:

Pressure bleeding is your friend ;) easy as pie.

Heres my saxo, that had some pretty epic stoppers on it!
DSC02002.jpg

DSC01835-1.jpg

DSC01817.jpg

Great cars I must say. The biggest regret I ever had to date was breaking it!

S

Ste King 182

What would the ex 106gti owners say then 172 / 182 clio or a 106gti pug??? as ive allways liked the 106gtis and my clio costs a fortune finance / petty / insurance... etc ?! how do they compare with acceleration ?

RS2'd Trophy
a cammed saxo vts/106gti with a manifold exhaust and raceland will be near on the same as a clio with the usual exhaust remap inlets v6 airbox, nothing in them really. The clio feels alot better constructed and feel alot more sturdy.

Flame Red Delight
as i have now got myself a 182, all i can say is that it is a step up, clios feel alot more comfortable inside and has all the toys and refinements etc i wanted, the power does feel more immediate and pulls much harder than my 106 did, but theres something about the 182 that feels less exciting for some reason, suppose its because the 106 is basically a go kart for the road, no extras just an engine some seats and about a 1mm of sound proofing lol

Disastra Coupe
as i have now got myself a 182, all i can say is that it is a step up, clios feel alot more comfortable inside and has all the toys and refinements etc i wanted, the power does feel more immediate and pulls much harder than my 106 did, but theres something about the 182 that feels less exciting for some reason, suppose its because the 106 is basically a go kart for the road, no extras just an engine some seats and about a 1mm of sound proofing lol

Although mine was a VTR i'd 100% agree. The Saxo to me, when i got in it i always felt excited to drive it. The Clio, i dunno, i like it and it is fun - just doesn't have the same feeling that my Saxo did.

zbonnetup.jpg

As for splitter, i always think they look better without :)

That Saxo's awesome! I think if I were to consider another 106/Saxo after this one, it'd have to be a Saxo - there's no way I'd be able to follow up this one tbh - would always be slightly disappointed.

Coming from my previous Clio, I have to agree with what's been said about build quality etc. Obviously not a clue about the engine. But exciting? Yes! Very.
I've found the 106 a much more likeable car - it seems to have a character that the Clio completely lacked. Never really got on with my Clio, which is a shame really..

Disastra Coupe
That Saxo's awesome! I think if I were to consider another 106/Saxo after this one, it'd have to be a Saxo - there's no way I'd be able to follow up this one tbh - would always be slightly disappointed.

Coming from my previous Clio, I have to agree with what's been said about build quality etc. Obviously not a clue about the engine. But exciting? Yes! Very.
I've found the 106 a much more likeable car - it seems to have a character that the Clio completely lacked. Never really got on with my Clio, which is a shame really..

Cheers dude.

Yea, exactly. They're built rather s**t in comparison to the Clio but for some reason it just doesn't seem to matter. You enjoy every second of being in them. I certainly regret selling mine even if the Clio is (in the real world) the better car.

I'd like to think in a few years i could buy another Saxo and go all out with a proper full respray and have it as a minter to keep in the garage.

In the three weeks I've owned this 106, the airbag light has come on, the rear window de-mist button has stopped working and it's had a dodgy idle once or twice. But I wouldn't swap it for anything else right now! Such an awesome drive :approve:

(These will all be corrected asap btw Callum ;) )

120d M Sport
Don't worry about a slightly lumpy idle...they all do it now and then. As long as it's not going right up the revs and down again it isn't anything to worry about so I've been told!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
the reason the 106 feels more exciting is due to the lack of weight and how low you are to the ground. got a slightly old school character too which probs comes from 205's. i enjoyed my few months of owning 1 (stop gap car) but unlike you i much prefer the clio. engine, grip and looks wise.

3 Series xdrive
I spotted this about a week ago advertised on here and various other sites; it looked in superb condition and while it was more expensive than other examples for sale, it was clear how well it had been looked after. Also, the fact that it's more or less standard apart from a BMC CDA was very appealing too.
So, after my Clio sold on Friday, I took a trip up to Edinburgh and snapped it up straight away!
The journey back was a long one, but I don't think I stopped smiling all the way - simply Brilliant car!

Future plans may include:
306/Berlingo brakes
Bilstein dampers, maybe springs - preferably less than 30mm lower
Poly bushes
JP4 Cam covers
Very mild cams
Stealth exhaust of some sort, possibly.
Lots of paint! (front bumper, bonnet, plastic body kit)

Massive thanks to Callum for letting me have it! :D

Comments/critique/you paid too much welcome.

Cracking looking car, the 106's are the best fun you have with your pants on, I had a 106 xsi with ecosse gti conv many years ago and it was epic fun, would love to have another one

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Dont see many mint ones for sale anymore.Or the saxo's.

A little while ago there were a few with low miles and really clean...

Don't worry about a slightly lumpy idle...they all do it now and then. As long as it's not going right up the revs and down again it isn't anything to worry about so I've been told!

It's cut out once, but been fine since... must just be temperamental!

The future plans list I made in my first post is gone - 266mm brakes, then leave it alone tbh!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
What would the ex 106gti owners say then 172 / 182 clio or a 106gti pug??? as ive allways liked the 106gtis and my clio costs a fortune finance / petty / insurance... etc ?! how do they compare with acceleration ?

Hell of a lot more fun I had in the 106!

Fuel costs wont be much different if im correct? My 106 used to drink it at about the same rate as my Clio. yes the Clio has a bigger engine, but I think theyre fuel consumption is almost on par :/

120d M Sport
It's cut out once, but been fine since... must just be temperamental!

The future plans list I made in my first post is gone - 266mm brakes, then leave it alone tbh!

Mines cuts out a handful of times, my mates VTR does it too.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Hell of a lot more fun I had in the 106!

Fuel costs wont be much different if im correct? My 106 used to drink it at about the same rate as my Clio. yes the Clio has a bigger engine, but I think theyre fuel consumption is almost on par :/

I think the 106 is thirstier. Mine had a filter on so maybe that played a part. I'd rather have a 172cup though.

Mine has a BMC CDA on it, and its getting through petrol quick enough!
I'm not fussed though - at least it's quick in return, unlike my Clio which was s**t on fuel And slower than wind erosion ffs.

Disastra Coupe
As said, dodgy idle is just one of those thing's. I know mine was the 8v but that would do it very occasionally and sometimes cut out. Start it back up and it'd be fine. I had the car 4 years and never found the problem lol (my dad's an auto electrician and mechanic aswell)

Came to the conclusion it's just part of it's charm! Lol.

Z4
I'm looking at a gti at the weekend lol, looks a real minter.

Then the M3 will have to go! Will be a shame, but it's costing a lot, which is to be expected but when I have a strict saving routine for a mortgage it's not so fun!

Z4
What are the things to look out for with these then?
The one I'm looking at is 1998, are there any differences between these and the slightly newer models? I notice it doesn't have any side rubbing strips but some others do, odd.

What are they like for rust?

Any help appreciated!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Lambda sensor fault causes them to cut out, usually as u dip the clutch at a junction etc.

Idle is fairly up & down generally though, worse than a clio in that respect!!!

From a driving perspective they are fantastic though. In fact, i have modified my trophy to handle like my old vts ...

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Nearly bought one of these as a track hack the other day. Absolutely love them . . . now, they have grown on me a lot recently.