ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new i5 MacBook Pro.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Long story short, my old 2009 Core 2 Duo MBP had a recurring fault which was repaired, then eventually replaced with a new Core 2 Duo MBP. That turned out to have discolouration on the base, which I wasn't happy with. :eek:

A call to Apple and a polite email later, and this arrived yesterday, in exchange...

It's a 2010/11 i5 MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and a glossy display. Totalling nearly £1,700. Not bad considering I paid £1,000 for my old Core 2 Duo, with the education discount. :cool:

So far, I'm loving it. It's 80% as good as the i7 in my iMac for nearly everything, which kind of makes me wonder if I ever needed to go i7 in the iMac. Meh.

It multi-tasks like a champ, running all of Creative Suite simultaneously, whilst still having spare oompf for internet browsing/emails etc. The only limiting factor at the moment is the RAM, with me being used to having 8GB on the iMac. I'll sort that when I can afford to, though.

I also fired up some Windows games under Bootcamp and it ran GTAIV perfectly with all the display settings maxed out. I was getting around 30-45 FPS, which is pretty good for a notebook. It also runs WoW under OSX perfectly, with everything set to Ultra, I was getting a capped 60 FPS in most areas, only dipping to ~30 FPS in high-detail areas. Again, pretty good!

The only downside is that it's a bit louder than the Core 2 Duo, but that's kind of expected, given the extra oompf.

So anyone considering either the i5 iMac, or i5 MacBook Pro, it's 80% as good as the full fat i7. So really not worth the extra cash, to put it simply. I just thought people might like to know that, considering there's a few on here looking at Macs at present. Hope it helps.

Oh, and the new charger is so cool. :eek:

870d6356.jpg

c674903d.jpg

f4967edd.jpg

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Seems like you got a cracking deal there :) I really should upgrade my MacBook and it's even more tempting now!

Sent from my iPhone using a app that leaves a sig. Revels has told me to turn it off and I've not done it. If I do it again he's going to abuse me in ways I've never even imagined.

Firstly, WoW?! I know you're basically some sort of hobbit yourself, but get that s**t uninstalled.

Secondly, i5 is the thinking mans choice.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
LOL. Hobbit has two 'b's', Mr Full Size. :eek:

Yeah, well impressed with the i5!

Does anyone have any issues with playing Windows games under Parallels? I know Bootcamp's going to be smoother, but it pecks having to reboot. I have a copy of Parallels so I'll try that if it's not too buggy.

My Genius-discount-getting-mate said to get i5 over the i7. Said it wasn't worth the extra.

I'll definitely be abusing my AppleCare when the time comes.

Not as good as the girl that went to get her iPhone replaced and hadn't backed up her 'essential' data, so managed to blag a FREE MacBook!! to back it up with there and then.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
My Genius-discount-getting-mate said to get i5 over the i7. Said it wasn't worth the extra.

I'll definitely be abusing my AppleCare when the time comes.

Not as good as the girl that went to get her iPhone replaced and hadn't backed up her 'essential' data, so managed to blag a FREE MacBook!! to back it up with there and then.

WTF!

Buy an external drive, although risking upsetting the ambiance of a clutter free desk, it would give you more space.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'd agree with this, an SSD will make a massive difference, certainly did on a windows i7 laptop, 15 seconds from off to usable desktop, highest throughput i've seen yet is 245mb/second - oooer missus ;)

It'd be awesome, I'll admit, but...

Capacity. :dapprove:

256GB is the largest I get get for a reasonable price, and I only have 150GB free space left on the 500GB HDD it comes with.

I got one of these at work last week, pretty sweet.....but...the DEL key??? no f**king DEL key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dapprove:

Suzuki Ignis
It's 80% as good as the i7 in my iMac for nearly everything, which kind of makes me wonder if I ever needed to go i7 in the iMac.

My Macbook Pro is i7 :( not happy youve said that tbh. Tempted to see if I can swap/px it for a lower spec desktop as I dont really have the need for such a powerful laptop anymore.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, don't get me wrong, my i7 iMac is the better machine, and it makes a big difference over the i5 on heavy applications because of the overclocking feature.

The boot times are also way faster on my i7 iMac, than the i5 MBP. But some of that's down to the slower 5400rpm drive in my MBP.

The i5 still occasionally gives the 'spinning beachball of death', where as I think I've only seen it about twice on my i7, even under full load.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It crashes safari, well it works for a while then crashes it.

Known issue i think but tesco dont care lol

Clio 172
I got one of these at work last week, pretty sweet.....but...the DEL key??? no f**king DEL key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dapprove:

CMD + Backspace.

I've just bought my first MacBook Pro and have gone for a 13" 2.66 Core2Duo.

To be honest, I'm not a user of heavy applications but this thing really performs, I'm well impressed with it.

2.2 bar shed.
The i5 still occasionally gives the 'spinning beachball of death', where as I think I've only seen it about twice on my i7, even under full load.

Eh?

Mine gives me the damn thing every 15 minutes... b*****d machine :/

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
ha fail, apple replaced my core duo mbp with a 2.8ghz i7 :p

i NEED to upgrade the ram to 8gb from the 4 though... and seriously tempted to ditch the 500gb hdd for a ssd but they are just stupid money! though about one of the hybrid drives... but not sure.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
ha fail, apple replaced my core duo mbp with a 2.8ghz i7 :p

i NEED to upgrade the ram to 8gb from the 4 though... and seriously tempted to ditch the 500gb hdd for a ssd but they are just stupid money! though about one of the hybrid drives... but not sure.

LOL @ walking away with a £600 upgrade being a fail.

Pics of you i7 box or it didn't happen. ;)

CMD + Backspace.

I've just bought my first MacBook Pro and have gone for a 13" 2.66 Core2Duo.

To be honest, I'm not a user of heavy applications but this thing really performs, I'm well impressed with it.

I know of the cmd+backspace but I use it alot to delete text. Means I have to use the shitty small arrow keys - another thing I didn't like about it.

Other than that...its sweet. I can never get over how 'thin' these are compared to mainstream laptops.

Clio 172
I know of the cmd+backspace but I use it alot to delete text. Means I have to use the shitty small arrow keys - another thing I didn't like about it.

Other than that...its sweet. I can never get over how 'thin' these are compared to mainstream laptops.

Ah right, I've only just started using one - I got utterly confused without a delete key!

Monaro VXR
I wish they would offer a proper quad core i7 in the laptops as well. Only thing that annoys me with Apple at the moment. Think they must be one of the only premium computer suppliers that don't use quad core i7's in there high end laptops. I could understand in the Macbook but not to give the MBP one is just stupid.

Really is no point in the i7 in the MBP it's not massively different enough from the i5 to be worth the extra. Both support turbo boost, both have dual cores and are hyper threaded. So you gain nothing except a slight speed increase and a slight bit of extra cache. In the real world means performance is almost identical.

Maybe they will add them in with the next refresh...I can hope anyway. I want an upgrade but I would really prefer a quad core. Hoping they will give them all a decent upgrade for when Lion comes out. Probably won't happen though knowing Apple. Just my C2D based one is doing my head in now. Just not fast enough.