ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new i5 MacBook Pro.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, cache is the main difference in the notebooks, the i5 and i7 are much closer in 'real world' performance than the i7 in my iMac.

A silver one
So far, I'm loving it. It's 80% as good as the i7 in my iMac for nearly everything, which kind of makes me wonder if I ever needed to go i7 in the iMac. Meh.

So anyone considering either the i5 iMac, or i5 MacBook Pro, it's 80% as good as the full fat i7. So really not worth the extra cash, to put it simply. I just thought people might like to know that, considering there's a few on here looking at Macs at present. Hope it helps.

Secondly, i5 is the thinking mans choice.

Finally confirmation that the 'CS bragging spec' isn't essential! Next thing you know you'll be using the i3...

How easy is it to upgrade the RAM yourself on Macs? Are they not a sealed unit?

Finally confirmation that the 'CS bragging spec' isn't essential! Next thing you know you'll be using the i3...

How easy is it to upgrade the RAM yourself on Macs? Are they not a sealed unit?

Macbooks - pop the cover off.

iMacs - little cover under the apple logo that you take off.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
...just not your screen size?

Don't get me wrong, i7>All. But the margins are narrower than I thought.

Monaro VXR
Apple charge extortionate amounts for RAM upgrades though. Really does piss me off how much they charge, as you literally can buy the exact same modules direct from the company that supply Apple. For less than half what Apple charge. Anyone who spec's up memory on a new build with them has more money than sense. I mean £327 on top of what the original 4GB kit costs for 8GB of ram in a 2 x 4GB configuration, is taking the piss!

I could get 16GB of the exact same stuff for £160. If you got that direct from apple it would come in at £818!

I honestly don't understand their price point with memory, everyone knows it is a cheap item. So why they charge so much is beyond me. They must surely get very few people who spec it up properly with that kind of memory. As anyone who would need 16GB of ram is a power user and probably spent a fair bit on putting together machines etc in the past. So would know how much it should cost.

Still quite happy I bought mine with the standard amount of memory and then spend a little upgrading it myself.

It's probably the 'hassle' fee. Someone has to make one specially if you add bits. Otherwise they can just ship it out. You're paying for a pro to fit it. Some people (me :eek:) don't want to take a new and expensive machine apart.

Chris, i7 is £164 more atm. But it was over £200 when I bought mine I think.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I thought it was more than that. Weird.

My RAM upgrade was more than that. lol

Thats what i thought, considering how much they usually charge for upgrades.

As soon as lion comes out i'll invest in an imac i think, while i can still get the student discount :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's probably the 'hassle' fee. Someone has to make one specially if you add bits. Otherwise they can just ship it out. You're paying for a pro to fit it. Some people (me :eek:) don't want to take a new and expensive machine apart.

Chris, i7 is £164 more atm. But it was over £200 when I bought mine I think.

See, I think for £164 it's worth the extra? I know it was more when you ordered, mind.

It's an extra 10%. Depends if you deem it worth it. Under advice I went i5. £164 doesn't sound much. But add it and it makes the 27" nearly £1850!! LOL

This thing is lightning fast and I don't do anything near max it out.

Did have to chuckle watching some guy on YT doing a tutorial. He clicked to load something and it took aaaaaaaaaages! Speed ftw.

It's an extra 10%. Depends if you deem it worth it. Under advice I went i5. £164 doesn't sound much. But add it and it makes the 27" nearly £1850!! LOLQUOTE]

+1

£164 isn't a lot if you need it for your work , ect , but if you're just a home user who needs a a bit of creative oomph the price starts mounting up + the same again for the RAM upgrade takes it to 2k!!!!!

Can you ( either yourself or a pro ) upgrade the i5 to a i7 at a later date?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
+1

£164 isn't a lot if you need it for your work , ect , but if you're just a home user who needs a a bit of creative oomph the price starts mounting up + the same again for the RAM upgrade takes it to 2k!!!!!

Can you ( either yourself or a pro ) upgrade the i5 to a i7 at a later date?

Nope, infact i think the chips itself is physically bigger but i could be wrong.

i7 is the one thing worth speccing, ram can be done later at home.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Nope, infact i think the chips itself is physically bigger but i could be wrong.

i7 is the one thing worth speccing, ram can be done later at home.

That was my thinking behind going i7 in the 27. RAM can be upgraded later, the processor can't.

A silver one
  Go cry to your momma!
Was Chris the OP, I forget?

Anyhoo, get an optibay - I doubt you'll use the DVDR/W for amnything - it's probably a cack matsh*ta that can't produce anything other than coasters and for loading stuff you can share your iMac's drive.

128gb SSD for app's and OS, 500gb mechanical drive for storage. Winner!

The Momentus XT is ok but a hella slow compared to a decent sandforce powered SSD.

18 with a BULLET.................. i7 ordered!

When i found out the i5 couldn't be upgraded to i7 at a later date , i thought £164?????......in like Flynn.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
LOL. Hobbit has two 'b's', Mr Full Size. :eek:

Yeah, well impressed with the i5!

Does anyone have any issues with playing Windows games under Parallels? I know Bootcamp's going to be smoother, but it pecks having to reboot. I have a copy of Parallels so I'll try that if it's not too buggy.

Nice one mate! Although I swear when I was buying mine you were wanting to sell yours and that was like 6 months ago!! New i5 isn't bad though!

Regarding games, I installed Parallels recently to play a couple of Windows only games on, and it's impressive how well they run, but I still don't like seeing Windows on my pretty dock so I just don't play them lol.