ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new toy

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm buying one of these on Sunday, not this exact one but identical to it. Just a matter of time before I crash it.

raptor30.jpg

Citroen DS3 DSport
No never but I'm sure I'll learn and I've been told I will crash. Some experienced rc pilots are teaching me how to fly it.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
If someone can hook in with a buddy box then great.. otherwise make sure you have 2 things..

#1 The number to the local model shop (or even better.. speed dial to the spares section)
#2 A credit card with a huge limit.

Punto/Clio GTT
tbh mate id pick yourself up a cheap one first, just one of the indoor ones, just to get used to flying one.

if you go outside with that, 1 small crash and you'll bend/snap the main blades which will be about £30 a time

even if you dont land it properly and it falls over = bent/snapped blades

Citroen DS3 DSport
I've researched spare part prices for that model and worst case scenario where I break all that can break it's only £50 to get it fixed. New blades are £7 a set, I'll use wooden blades until I can fly it without worrying about crashing.

I've been offered it secondhand with everything I need ready to fly for only £150, to buy new would cost £500. I couldn't refuse at that price, an indoor version was going to cost me £120 for something worth learning on. It is in perfect condition.

I'll get training at a local club where you are not allowed to fly solo until you have passed a bronze licence test. It also comes with a PC simulator so that I can learn without the fear of crashing :)

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
Carbon blades can wait till a later date and cost close to £50 a set :D

The wooden blades are £15 a set but a model shop owner is a member at the club so they are sold cheaper.

Sneeks I would also buy yourself a good R/C sim like this one,
http://www.phoenix-sim.com/welcome.htm
and join a model club :)

oh and welcome to the expensive world of R/C Heli's ;)
my last raptor crash cost me £125 lol ;) but then again I do have Carbon blades (£60)

What model are you getting?

here is my Raptor titan and trex 450 Hughes 500E

Attachments

• Dsc00117.jpg
    Dsc00117.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 500E-05.jpg
    500E-05.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Dsc00121.jpg
    Dsc00121.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 61
  ITB BG 182
It might sound daft but when your flying alone or at home on the back yard attach one of them small hoop things that kids swing around the bods, a friend of mine used one to land until he was alot better.

S

Ste 185

haha your going to have so much fun.ive got a 6ch electric one,only a cheapo £200 beast but its a start.very hard to fly for sure.be patiant and you will master it.good look

Citroen DS3 DSport
Sneeks I would also buy yourself a good R/C sim like this one,
http://www.phoenix-sim.com/welcome.htm
and join a model club :)

oh and welcome to the expensive world of R/C Heli's ;)
my last raptor crash cost me £125 lol ;) but then again I do have Carbon blades (£60)

What model are you getting?

here is my Raptor titan and trex 450 Hughes 500E

Nice collection of helicopters there :)

I have the RealFlight G3.5 sim for use at home, I'm told it's very good and accurate to the real thing.

My RC club membership will be paid this weekend when I buy the helicopter. The model i'm buying is a Raptor 30, many people have told me this is an ideal beginners helicopter as it flys well and the spare parts are cheap. I can always upgrade it to a 50 at a later date.

Thanks for the welcome to the rc world, I'm sure I'll have pics of my crashes soon :D

Citroen DS3 DSport
That looks awesome, esp for £150. Is it made by Mclaren or something?

No that one has simply had new decals fitted to it, there are plenty of sticker options available for order online.

While learning the club has hoops that I can bolt onto the underside of the heli to try avoid and nasty learning incidents. I've been told to only fly it at knee height while learning so the worst I'll lose is a leg!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Oh crap! I installed and tried the heli simulator tonight and struggled to even do a basic hover :D The feckin thing was spinning about everywhere, moving backwards, forwards and side to side. I can see this will be a challenge.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
it is a very big challenge mate, i got one on christmas day an crashed it boxing day lol just kept spinning an spinning and i couldnt control it then wen i let it come down to land it decided to hit a tree bounce off my drive and into a ditch lol just sat on me shelf now

Oh crap! I installed and tried the heli simulator tonight and struggled to even do a basic hover :D The feckin thing was spinning about everywhere, moving backwards, forwards and side to side. I can see this will be a challenge.

Yeah heli's are the hardest R/C you can do, but great fun once your hands start to "get the feeling" ;) :)
Practice makes perfect :)

Simon

Citroen DS3 DSport
I reckon I'll be spending lots more time on the simulator before I venture onto the real thing.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Any advice on how to keep the helicopter at static hover rather than it trying to dart about everywhere? On several occasions I'd take off and the body of the helicopter would start spinning around with the main rotor almost instantly. I have no idea what I'm meant to do in order to stop that :D

This is while using the sim.

Last edited:
  mk2 172
i bought myself a honey bee cp2 last year, along with some training legs, 3 sets of blades and realflight G3. after about 2 weeks of realflight i decided to fly the heli in the garden, what an absolute joke, the thing will just not stabilize for any kind of hover, i can get it up in the air, but a crash is guaranteed. i never got to use the idle up for some 3d action and got insanely frustated so in an act of compassion i sold it to my neighbour for 30 quid. i loved the idea of it but just dont have the time to master it as im away 5 days a week, so instead i bought myself a tamiya king blackfoot to tear around the garden

Any advice on how to keep the helicopter at static hover rather than it trying to dart about everywhere? On several occasions I'd take off and the body of the helicopter would start spinning around with the main rotor almost instantly. I have no idea what I'm meant to do in order to stop that :D

This is while using the sim.

Have got your Transmitter set up correct? sounds like you may have the rudder reversed?

On the sim if set up correct the tail shouldn't spin wildly unless yuo give it lots of right/left input on the left stick?

Simon

Citroen DS3 DSport
It doesn't do it all the time, just every so often it will and then constantly after this until I reset.

Citroen DS3 DSport
What swashplate setting is your tx set up to?
What Tx you have?
Which heli you flying in the sim?

Simon

Ok that got me lost :D

I'm using a sim tx that came with RC Heli Master, not a real one. Using it in RealFlight G3.5

I was using a Bell 222 but swapped that to a basic starter heli instead. I think it will be a while till I venture outside with the real thing. Thankfully at the club I'm on a buddy system until I get my bronze qualification.

What swashplate setting is your tx set up to?
What Tx you have?
Which heli you flying in the sim?

Simon

Ok that got me lost :D

I'm using a sim tx that came with RC Heli Master, not a real one. Using it in RealFlight G3.5

I was using a Bell 222 but swapped that to a basic starter heli instead. I think it will be a while till I venture outside with the real thing. Thankfully at the club I'm on a buddy system until I get my bronze qualification.

Ok well at least if you're on a buddy nothing should come to harm ;)
I would ditch that sim and get http://www.phoenix-sim.com/welcome.htm far better, with that you can plug your own Tx in.
Most people I know have that one.

It has the Raptor 30 and 50 in there and they do feel quite good to me :)

Simon

Citroen DS3 DSport
I keep meaning to download the Raptor 30 model for G3.5, most people at the club I attend swear by RealFlight over Phoenix :D From reading online it does appear that opinion between the two really does differ. I'll probably buy Phoenix too.

I keep meaning to download the Raptor 30 model for G3.5, most people at the club I attend swear by RealFlight over Phoenix :D From reading online it does appear that opinion between the two really does differ. I'll probably buy Phoenix too.

Yeah try em both and try using your own Tx in the sim, what Tx you got btw?
you on 2.4Ghz or 35Mhz?

Simon