ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My New Va Va, Which Rims/Lowering?

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Hey Guys,

First post here, so be gentle :cool:

Recently decided to join you dudes in finally realising my 96' Punto 55sx 1.1 wasn't up to the mileage I was doing, and wanted something newer and much quicker...

So, I got my 03 plate 1.6 Dynamique below with just 17k on the clock... And I absolutely adore it, and at 19 its a pleasure to drive a car like it.

Pics are below :) Sorry for the sh*tty angles, were taken in the garden before I was even insured on it on my 6680i.

27062006002.jpg

27062006003.jpg

27062006004.jpg

27062006001.jpg

Just really looking for some pointers on what would be smooth. I'm not in a rush for any mods, but definately have some in mind over the next year or so.

I'm only thinking of 16's on 50 profile tyres, either Allessio Monza's in black, or the 182 Anthracite 8 spokes... But then where would that leave me in terms of lowering, how much could I drop it and still be able to have rear passangers, say 4 people in the car without rubbing and still get full lock? Is 35mm expecting too much?

Also a spoiler and smoked rear clusters are in mind, but thats just if I suddenly stumble over £200 I don't need ;)

First things first, sound system is the priority and should have that installed very soon :)

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Pete.

M2 Competition
If you fit 16's (of your two suggestions id go for the 182 wheels mate) you can lower it 60mm without rubbing mate.

Anything less than 40mm and it wont look lowered!

www.renparts.co.uk
rex said:
If you fit 16's (of your two suggestions id go for the 182 wheels mate) you can lower it 60mm without rubbing mate.

yeh if you lower it 60mm you will be happy with it. You will need 5mm spacers to avoid rubbing, but then should be fine. I like the 182 wheels in athracite a lot, but all down to personal preference, coilovers or apex shocks and spring kit is suitable. Martin has the apex kit on turinis. looks the dogs.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154776

Of course replace the turinis with 182 wheels and thats what drop you have. looks just right imo.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Mine is getting lowered today. I got the Eibach Pro set for mine (front and rear) should take her down roughly 30mm with 16" ST GT's.
If you are considering 'Coilovers' do some serious homework and take some good advice on which ones to get from the guys in the know on CS. My Hubby had a seriously 'bad' experience with 'coilovers', he was told by AVO that the kit he wanted would be 'perfect' for his car, but they weren't, they were an absolute nightmare and didn't fit properly. (even though they were supposedly custom made) and he had to remove them, was then told by AVO to fit a ''different' kit of theirs. He decided well against it for now and fitted new Renault suspension instead. So, be careful and always trust the guys that have been there, and done that.

Nice car by the way. Good luck with your wheels and suspension. ;) :)

Debz XXXxxx

I've got FK's COILOVER HIGHSPORTS. Will cost you around £445 from www.2modified.com. You can adjust the height to how u like it. for example I went as low as you could go.

my ph2. :approve:

sta70432pe1.jpg

Chocolate Bar™
Peperami said:

mines lowered around 80mm on 15s, and this is easily achievable with 16s, in fact many members on the forum have a similar set up. Wheels, i wouldnt go for the 182 wheels, go for something a bit different because for the money you pay for them you can get a nice set of oz super t's/superlegs or something similar which always look lovely on the clio (have a search for matt T's car). As for suspension, i'm on coilovers, and dont think i'd go back to a kit now, the handlings so much better, and I love the look of it. Also have no problems with speed bumps etc. As for spoiler theres only really two sensible options, cup or V6 however both of these are pretty rare to find second hand, and you can pay upto around 150 quid for one. I'd stick with standard lights to be honest, they dont really make any nice lights for the mk2 as of yet.

Why not refurb your standard wheels in anthracite/white, and drop it on its arse with coilovers, bought with the money saved, would look awesome :approve:

Middo said:
mines lowered around 80mm on 15s, and this is easily achievable with 16s, in fact many members on the forum have a similar set up. Wheels, i wouldnt go for the 182 wheels, go for something a bit different because for the money you pay for them you can get a nice set of oz super t's/superlegs or something similar which always look lovely on the clio (have a search for matt T's car). As for suspension, i'm on coilovers, and dont think i'd go back to a kit now, the handlings so much better, and I love the look of it. Also have no problems with speed bumps etc. As for spoiler theres only really two sensible options, cup or V6 however both of these are pretty rare to find second hand, and you can pay upto around 150 quid for one. I'd stick with standard lights to be honest, they dont really make any nice lights for the mk2 as of yet.

Why not refurb your standard wheels in anthracite/white, and drop it on its arse with coilovers, bought with the money saved, would look awesome :approve:

speak for yourself. lol:rasp:

Chocolate Bar™
i'm after a laguna one, 63 quid from renault though! got a cup one on currently anyhow ;)

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
JLO said:
30mm on eibach sounds good. you'll definately notice the difference to your standard springs

Well as long as the ride isn't any harsher I will be a very happy bunny. lol

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Pablo; I will post a pic up here when she comes back so you can see how low she goes on 16"'s, 30mm on Eibachs. Then you will be able to see if you want to take yours lower or not. ;)

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
theduckeatspork said:
*fingers crossed debs likes the eibachs*

I sooooo hope so too! My poor tummy is abit knotted up at the moment being as I am not used to having so much work done to any of my cars. (all mods have usually been done before I have purchased them). I'm just hoping it will feel as good if nit better than it did before, and am worried about my wheels getting marked too. I'm just a born worry head that's my problem.lol

lol bless, it'll come back fine! will definately feel better than it did before it went in aswell! Just hope you like the ride quality, is a bit firmer than not lowered but nothing drastic.

Chocolate Bar™
they're shmidts you numpty ;) keskins are ok but its hard to find them in the correct offset, however i'm currently loving the KT4s :D

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Middo said:
i'm after a laguna one, 63 quid from renault though! got a cup one on currently anyhow ;)

Do what i did, go to the local renault accident repair centre, and ask if you can rip one off an old bumper, i did that and bunged the guy on reception a fiver!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
theduckeatspork said:
lol bless, it'll come back fine! will definately feel better than it did before it went in aswell! Just hope you like the ride quality, is a bit firmer than not lowered but nothing drastic.

Cool. I am looking forward to testing it out, although a little nervous. I just want it sorted so I can go ahead with all the other bits. ;) lol

P.s. As long as it doesn't make my bones rattle I will be happy. Lmao

Chocolate Bar™
superfastdan said:
Do what i did, go to the local renault accident repair centre, and ask if you can rip one off an old bumper, i did that and bunged the guy on reception a fiver!

i've rung round a few scrappys, but all either are stupid and dont know what i'm talking about or claim to not have one in. I'm gonna have to go down and find one myself lol

Guys,

Thanks for all the posts, been a real help.

So, 40mm on the 182 16"s in anth on 50 prof tyres will mean full lock, and 5 people in the car without performance decrease?

Cheers Debz, look forward to seeing it! :) Hope it's as it you expect...

Pete.

Last edited:
any car with larger alloys and 5 people in the car will see performance decrease!! If you mean lowered 40mm on 16's and fully loaded will you get rubbing, then i would think the answered would be no, you wouldnt.

theduckeatspork said:
any car with larger alloys and 5 people in the car will see performance decrease!! If you mean lowered 40mm on 16's and fully loaded will you get rubbing, then i would think the answered would be no, you wouldnt.
True... But I meant would the arches need rolling, or is there gonna be friction from the tyres onto bodywork...But you answered my question nicely anyway :) Thanks bud.
I guess that means full lock easily accessible too?

DynamiqueDebz said:
5 people in a Clio? Talk about squashed and no bloody leg room! lol

Haha, was an example ;) I try and keep it to just me and the missus, save fuel :approve:

Pete.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I normally only have a max of two people in my car too!

I have my car back now with suspension done. It doesn't look much lower at all at the moment, the suspension needs to settle abit first, then I will put pics up. ;) :D

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Hello pete, your the guy i refered over to hear from overclockers are you not?

ive got mine lowered 60mm on 16s (with 5mm spacers on each wheel) and i have no rubbing what so ever, ive only got mine lowered on springs at the min which is a bit crap, was going to get some upgraded shocks soon but ive decided to try and save up for coilovers now :)

Ello Russ mate, hows it going?

Yup was me :) Nice, really? Whats advantage of Coilovers over lowered springs?
As long as I can fit 16"s on 50's as I said, and still load the car up without it rubbing anywhere then that would be awesome, is this just on clio's cause I remember when I had my 96' Punto, a lot of the guys who modded theirs said they could only ever have 15"'s lowered with no-one in the back or they'd be struggling? :S

Strange... But my Clio is just a dream tbh, all the extras I could need :cool:

Thanks guys,

Pete.

Also, Confused what to get wheel wise.

Really fancy the 182 8 spokes, but the darker they are, the better they will match the deep red and black theme I want to get going on.

In mind are: 182's [16], Allessio Monza's in black [16] or some similar black rims at least 8 spokes in [16]...

Anyone on the forum got darker rims on a red 3 door mark 3?

Thanks,

Pete.