ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My other car. Cosworth Ford- Sorry!

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
So here is the one that doesnt see the light of day much.

I have had it nigh on 20 years -insurance was expensive at 19!

Has evolved from a mint std low miler that i resisted changing externally to one that I think looks period modified!

It now has a 545 bhp touring car spec engine, a Quaife gearset in the original T5 box, and a quaife ATB. Suspension is by Gaz, naturally, and brakes are std size cross drilled discs ( but with vented rears) with 1144 pads and braided lines. Performance is lively, fuel consumption not so wonderful.

65B42BF9-36D6-4AA5-8C71-056B6637A1DC.png

Under the bonnet as it was:
Was 425 odd bhp as I recall
Picture001-2.jpg

Now with the new engine built and dyno'd (pullies removed from chroming!) I stumbled upon a genuine RS500 T4, and out it came after only 3k miles.. 545 bhp at 36 psi
55B0B876-CEE3-4D5F-AB2D-BE2A51FB307B.jpg

Thanks and comments positive or negative gratefully received

Thanks

Weeksy

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
Thanks fella.

I am rather attached to the old girl now. Still gets up and goes well for an old bus!

A slightly different driving experience to the clio though!

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
Thanks a lot Mr.
Its not bad as it happens, although traction is a bit of an issue! Dictated the use of the bigger wheels - a wholesome 8 inch at the rear! Oh yes, magenta on a 2wd, Nouveau red on the later 4bee's- my fave colour. With an old Ford you buy the one with the least tin worm at the time, and that was this blue one!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I was never a Sierra fan barring the 500 but that's a nice example.

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
Thanks dude, I was never a Ford fan, this has been my one and only!
A test ride in one and I was hooked!
Other cars have come and gone, but this one always stayed - like a bad smell hehehe!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Crazy car to own if you've never been a Ford fan! Fair play!

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
Jumped in a the deep end eh?! I was young and silly - what can I say?! I scoffed when people said they could be expensive if you let them... A ford...How?! Then it all became clear....

The previous chariot was a 1.9 205 GTi. This old nail was something else back then! They were actually pretty common back then (205 's and Cossies!)

Last edited:
  ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
I think so, decent ones are few and far between now, and this one has only one previous owner and 39k on the clock!

I couldnt really put a price on it to be honest. I guess a standard one would be worth more to most, but I recall that first drive home in it- so disappointing with 7 psi!

Personally I wouldnt want a slow old car, I bought one to make it into a rocket with running gear that could handle the power. A standard box can take 500 horsepower unless really neglected - not many cars like that you can wring so much power from and not have to reengineer the rest of the car to handle it!

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
I dont fella sorry.

I did have one my mate took at the Dunton Ford centenary day back in 2011, but my phone died and that was the end of that.

Its not a looker is it - I would say an aquired taste for those who value performance over aesthetics.. Would we appreciate an 1800 OHC special model fitted with recaros and some body additions?! Not a chance!!

It's a proper sleeper with the original 15's back on it!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its very nice but if you could just make ONE new thread without stopping halfway through to suck off Gaz it would be even better, lol. (I like their shocks too, but there are other things in life)

Love YB's on big laggy old turbos, not actually as quick round a track as a decent Evo etc, but SO much fun, with the nothing-nothing-nothing then rip your f**king head off power delivery.

Swift Sport
This is what it was all about back when I was a teenager in the late 90's!

I remember riding in my mates 4x4 Sapphire which was running 330bhp racing another mates 2wd Sapphire running 420bhp, and it was crazy to sit there at triple figures watching another car scream away from you!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks dude, I was never a Ford fan, this has been my one and only!
A test ride in one and I was hooked!
Other cars have come and gone, but this one always stayed - like a bad smell hehehe!

I'm similar, not really into fords as a brand generally, much prefer vauxhall engines from that era, but the YB is the exception!

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
Its a 2wd Mr.

You have to spend an absolute fortune on transmission parts to handle a decent amount of torque on a 4x4 model, and in my personal opinion, they just dont drive as nice as a 2WD car...Although it's a bit hairy in the wet!

Appreciate the comments fellas

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
Haha, go on Chip!
I wouldnt say mentioning the brands used as part of a basic run down constituted noshing Gaz! Should I keep Quaife and the fact I use Newman cams to myself too?! Ken Newman is a lovely fella ;-)

This so far from a track toy dude!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Haha, go on Chip!
I wouldnt say mentioning the brands used as part of a basic run down constituted noshing Gaz! Should I keep Quaife and the fact I use Newman cams to myself too?! Ken Newman is a lovely fella ;-)

Ah bit the quaiffe etc only gets a mention, where as the one and only thing you picked out to say "naturally" to imply it was the only good choice was the Gaz.

And thats just after you joined the forum asking if Gaz were any good only to then spend your next dozen or so posts telling everyone how good they were in answer to your own question and then followed it up by another thread about how Gaz now do coilover rears a day or two later.

But relax, was just teasing you!

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
Course , natural choice being so local right? Its a no brainer!

I asked them if they were any good for this model actually fella. Owners recommendations as a total newbie to the model were what I was after my good man, no more than that. And then announcing an update to the range was just keeping CS members ahead of the curve, so dont shoot me for offering to help! I will need plenty of that myself, as you already know dude!

I am relaxed, now you stop being a sensitive little soul! We are all friends here buddy!

Last edited:
  535d / t5 caravelle
Holy s**t lol, I had a 2wd sapphire briefly with 420bhp and that went like s**t off a shovel, that must be something else!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Loads of love ford the old Sierra, needs original wheels (if i was having it)

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
With the original wheels it lights the tyres up over a ton, these 8 inch rears with sticky Toyos lay it down a bit better!

Its done 39k Russ.

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
Here it was on standard wheels. Sleeper alert!
Picture010.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Bloody light grey cloth a pain to keep clean! Would be a rubbish daily!
Picture007.jpg

Thanks