ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My ph1 172

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Sold my Ph2 172 at the end of May.
1-2.jpg

Bought this off a cliosport member back in June. It's a 2000 W plate 172, and had 53k on when I bought it. The only faults were exhaust related, blowing and a rattle on start up. Sorry a lot of the pics were taken on my phone.

At a pub on the way home.
08062009127.jpg

So the following weekend had the car over the pit and took the exhaust off.
13062009137.jpg

13062009132.jpg

Found that the cat was being held on with one bolt.
Catconv.jpg

So I re-fit the exhaust with new brackets.
13062009134.jpg

However this didn't get rid of the rattle on start up, so back over the pit it went for another look. Checked gear linkages but it turned out to be a lose bolt on the bottom engine mount. So after a saturday morning in a pit the car sounded much healthier.

Bought some Sportlines off drunkenmonkey.
13062009133.jpg

Got them fitted along with some clear side repeaters and Ph2 rear lights.
33.jpg

5-2.jpg

Decided on some 2118's in silver as I fancied a change. But only had them a couple of weeks as I just wasn't keen, think if they had been anthracite it would have been a different story. Can only find the below two pics.
100_2832.jpg

100_2833.jpg

So then I thought I would try some 16 inch OZ F1's, but it really didn't seem to handle aswell on the 16's and wasn't long before the 15's were back on.
oz008.jpg

oz009.jpg

Wanted to try and refurb a set of wheels so managed to pick some 15 inch OZ F1's up off the bay, alot of the paint was bubbling and they were curbed.

Set about rubbing them down, knew it was going to be hard but it did take longer than I expected.
28072009266.jpg

27072009256.jpg

27072009257.jpg

Several coats of primmer, black and laquer later and I was very pleased with the result, the time spent rubbing down felt worthwhile.
28072009263.jpg

28072009264.jpg

30072009275.jpg

Got them fitted.
1-5.jpg

2-4.jpg

Finished the centre caps off and added some wheel tape that Greeny supplied. Still can't make mind up about the wheel tape, but it took that long to put on I don't really want to take it off.
06082009278.jpg

06082009277.jpg

Then came a 307 splitter, which I think has improved the stance of the front end.
2-6.jpg

10.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

Got afew more plans, so I'll keep it updated.

Last edited:
  172 sport
Looks great,you have made a nice job of the wheels,the front splitter I want one of those for mine,307 is that off a peugeot 307?,which model? were did you get yours from?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
that looks f**king lush. looked a bit tired when you first got it:cool:

It just needed a clean, didn't give him much notice when I went over to view it. The paint work was/is in really good nick, not a swirl in sight!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Cheers.

It feels a bit more physical than the ph2, if that makes sense. Throttle is slightly more responsive and I think handling would be very similar if the ph2 was on 15's.

In my opinion in standard form the ph1 is more fun to drive, but the ph2 is better looking.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Cheers Daz, looked like the meet was good on Sunday, would have liked to have been able to get there.

I've bought some more side strips, door handles, 2.0 16v badges and wing mirror covers. Colour code door strips/handles, yellow lettering on 2.0 16v badges, black wing mirror covers with yellow elf decals. If I don't like any of it I can just change it back.

Ad

MK2 FRS
She is looking great Edd. Got your message mate, been manic with work, I seem never to get a spare 5mins during the day. I'll do my side this week and hopefully it will be sorted once and fo all!

The black wheels look great as does the splitter. Did you keep the original plates after you took them off? They were the orginals from 2000. Paint was in good nick as I had PC'd it quite a few times so had a good layer of protection on it.

Really annoyed about the bolt missing out the cat. I'd recently had that done prior to her being sold, it cost me the best part of £100 including the labour and parts!

Kinda regret selling it tbh.... but such is life! Still was a massive bargain, you caught me in a selling moment!!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Cheers Ad.

Yeh I remember you telling me a garage had replaced a gasket on the exhaust, you did say you thought it hadn't be fitted correctly. They must have lost a bolt and possibly slackened the engine mount to access the front of the cat and not tightened it up.

I did keep the original plates, noticed they were the originals, a bit weathered though.

Still not sure about the black wheels, I'm in the process of collecting another standard set just in case I want to put it back, just need one more.

You didn't find that steering wheel did you mate?

Ad

MK2 FRS
yeah its still on top of the wardrobe at the parents house!:eek: I am off the ring next week mate, so wont be seeing the parents until after then. After the bank holiday weekend keep harranging me and I will get it posted out!

Aye the plates were knackered and need changing.

The black looks good in the pics, but coloured wheels always look smaller in the flesh. I had them white briefly:

498vTLC083.jpg

Not one of my best ideas! LOL

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I don't know, it doesn't look bad with white wheels.

Cheers mate, just struggling abit with my hand and this 300mm wheel.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
i think that may well of been the previous owners the scotts! ive only had the car a couple of days!