ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my ph1 project so far

Titanium phase 1
i was initially looking at buying a cup but just loved the look of the phase 1 so after a long look on the internet i stumbled accross this on ebay...sorry for some of the picture quality
013.jpg

got him down to £1400 with 69000 on the clock and cambelt done at 60000 ish.after a good shake down on the drive home i found a few issues but nothing you wouldnt expect from a 10 year old car. dampers were very saggy on the left front and rear (too many round abouts i think) so i got in touch with btm and ordered some cup shocks, this transformed the car.
the wheels were looking a little tired so i got hold of some gun metal grey and gave them a refurb over a weekend along with the calipers just to tidy things up.
hotmailcom020.jpg

016.jpg

new yoko parada tyres were fitted and next thing i wanted to do was replace the k&n open air filter,sounded ok but looked and performed s%*t so i sourced a second hand standard filter off ebay and stuck in a new k&n replacement element and was supprised to feel a little more torque lower down in the rev range plus looking alot smarter
005.jpg

next came the omp front and rear strut braces
010.jpg

things were still feeling a little vauge in the steering so i set about ordering everything else to stiffen it up without loosing too much comfort(what the is of it anyway)
so i ordered solid top mounts from pure motorsport,new wishbones,track rod ends,wheel bearing and 30mm apex springs
006-1.jpg

hotmailcom005.jpg

lick of paint to the hubs after a rub down
hotmailcom002.jpg

once this was done it really started to feel how a clio should but still i was getting knocking noises. i noticed that there was alot of play in the engine mounts so i looked for some uprated one and found the set from k-tec which included dogbone poly bushes and uprated engine and gearbox mounts
with another lick of paint
hotmailcom001-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

this made a huge difference to the way it drove, felt like a new car once they had had the time to settle in,first turn of the key once fitted wasnt very nice, thought something must have been fitted wrong due to the imense vibrations but like i said they son settled in.
new exhaust mounts next. ordered from ebay yet again. fitted them to find they were worse than the originals. i played around with them for a while and looked on cs for similar problems, i used cable ties and even took the back box off to adjust the hanger but still getting knocking, a guy on here(cant remember his name ,sorry) told me about a powerflex mount that can be used with the current alloy moulding, fitted this and its spot on
001-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

i then took the clio to a garage to get my tracking set up where another problem arose. the tracking couldnt be set due to the excessive play in the driveshaft so i got in touch with a few people on here for quotes on a new or recon pair, I ended up getting a brilliant deal from Tom at wests renault and quickly went about getting them changed.at this point it was a joy to work on due to all the previous work done, not an overtight nut/bolt anywhere and had them both changed within an hour.
then did a service changing all the usual stuff.
next i turned to the engine.browsing ebay i saw a set of matched and ported inlet manifolds from a k-tec race engine so i chucked in a bid and got them rather cheap i think.
one problem,i didnt ask if they were phase 1 or 2....they arrived and they were infact for a phase 2.obveously the throttle body is different as the ph1 is cable operated thus having an idle sensor so instead of selling them i thought i'd have a go at modding them myself.turned out quit an easy job and works fine
0133.jpg

0142.jpg

the paint work was something to be desired so i set about an overhaul.not as easy as it sounds as it was baked on enamel yellow.took a day to do but im happy with the end result
0152.jpg

027.jpg

while i had the manifolds off i took the chance to do a bit of detailing in the engine bay, still a working progress at the minute but getting there
replaced a few grubby cable protectors whle i was at it around the injector rail
025.jpg

before
0182.jpg

after
0222.jpg

before
0122.jpg

after
028.jpg

and my favourite pic of the engine so far....
029.jpg

there has been a few more bits and bobs done but thats enough for now,dont wanna bore you all to death.so many palns wizzing through my head at the minute and a big respray to be done so ill keep this thread updated with my progress,
thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Titanium phase 1
Used gunk and elbow grease then auto sill metal polish,still wasn't perfect so a dust of enamel alloy paint and that's how it ended up.