ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Second 182

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
So i sold my BG 182 in August 2014 a couple weeks after my wedding, as i knew i'd need a bigger car in the near future, didn't really want to sell it to be honest but put it up for sale for a bit more than i really expected to get for it and it basically sold within hours of posting it on here. In hindsight it was a pretty decent 182 and all the issues they normally have had been sorted, along with having all the normal mods done. I'd spend a small fortune on it.

Ended up being without a car for a week and a half as i couldn't find anything upto standard to replace it with. Then ended up buying a 2006 Jetta 2.0 TDi.

Couple of pictures with pro 1.2 custom painted by sprayshack:
20140520_083801_zps1kt0nzm4.jpg

20140601_212213_zps1lyuj9qe.jpg

Took 144 photos for the for sale add:
IMG_20140809_183142_zpsz3eu9smh.jpg

IMG_20140809_183252_zpsq4vc8nzk.jpg

Anyway the Jetta turned out to be a bad buy, turbo failed with a few weeks. Ended up replacing it with a hybrid unit, replacing the gearbox, clutch and adding bigger wheels, lowering suspension, etc.
I'll not add any pictures of this as it's just a diesel jetta with 210-220bhp.

Anyway my wife passed her driving test recently, which opened the door to me having a non family friendly car again. So bought the wife a C-Max with the 1.6 ecoboost engine, that we now share. And bought myself another 182.

Original intentions were to just drive it and repair and replace things as required and just keep it clean. However i've had the car for less than 3 months, and i've already started modify things and adding bit that i didn't need. I'm even considering a low boost turbo for it now.

Spec of the new 182 is:

JMS RS2 mapped by RS tunning to around 185bhp
Eibach sportline springs on cup shocks
Powerflex upper engine mount, dogbone and steering rack bushes
Yanoo 3.0 shifter, with mod to move stick further back.
300mm omp steering wheel with mono boss
Corbeau club sport seats without runners on X-low subframes
Rear seats removed and further stripping to come
KTec racing exhaust (though centre is silenced powerflow)
Nankang NS-2R (180 street compound)
Brembo HC disc and pads front - Genuine renault rear

That may be about it for now. But future plans are to add a little more power, that is likely to come in the form of either camshafts when the belts are changed, or ditching the RS2 and going low boost.

Should be getting a new set of wheels this weekend, so will post up these once fitted.

Other bits on the to do list in no particular order:
PMS shifter
Wheel spacers
Splitter (have this in the garage ready to fit)
coilover (BC maybe from diamond motors)
camber bolts
brembo calipers with 280 disc conversion
Uprated exhaust mounts
Replace exhaust with slightly quieter system and decat
Sort out some of the paint imperfections

And some rubbish pictures taken on my cheap chinese phone:

IMG_20160912_175924_zpszmesbv3j.jpg

IMG_20160912_175839_zpsyptk4hoh.jpg

IMG_20160912_175829_zpsjp9uita9.jpg

IMG_20160912_175813_zpskkmpqica.jpg

IMG_20160912_175755_zpsk4dppssa.jpg

IMG_20160912_175730_zpsvzvkvikv.jpg

IMG_20160912_175658_zpsvx0tqxrv.jpg

IMG_20160912_175637_zpssvcufitz.jpg

IMG_20160912_175628_zpsesl1pasv.jpg

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
To be honest the Jetta was a good car when i sold it, i'd fixed and replaced everything that you'd expect to be a problem on them. It was also faster than the clio is in all but 1st gear/standing starts and i'd get 500 miles to a tank almost without fail. If I had the room on the drive i'd have been tempted to keep it, as i struggled to sell it. But I just missed the noise of a petrol engine screaming.

Future mods will need to slow down a little, as I should be saving money for our second baby, and putting money away to pay off our help to buy loan on the house. But i'm struggling to stop myself. First section i look at on the forum is the for sale section, which i need to get out the habit of.

I've got some carpet/fabric to retrim the boot with, that seems to be a decent match to the existing boot carpet. Haven't decided yet on how i'm going to fix it down. looking at either double sided tape, or adhesive spray. I suspect the spray would make a better job, but it'll be more difficult to remove in the future it needed.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
So I didn't get much time to mess around with the car last weekend, but I did get 10-15 minutes to cut the rear carpet/trim to the right size and shape. Plan was to glue it down using spray glue, but for now it's just laid out and tucked under the existing trim.
IMG_20160924_102912_zpskk5g0vtt.jpg

IMG_20160924_102903_zps5s7woqb9.jpg

Also the wheels I picked up the previous weekend weren't in as good a shape as i'd hoped, and the more i looked at them after getting them home the more it bothered me. So decided to give them a quick sand down to remove the worst of the bubbling paint, scratches, chips and curbing and throw some fresh paint on, until i decide on what colour to get them properly refurbed.
IMG_20160925_162201_zps4y9iyavd.jpg

IMG_20160925_162145_zps8ighlhrb.jpg

I'm thinkng i might go something similar to the original graphite silver, but then part of me wants to go silly and do something like bright orange. Though i guess i could just plasticote them a bright colour at some point.

I've also bought harness bolts and spreader plate/bolts, clips and harness belts to sort out the seat belt buckle properly, as at the minute they're just bolted to the side mount using the same bolt holding the seat in place and i'm not comfortable leaving it like that.

Exhaust is rattling a little bit and the mounts are a bit squeeky, so i'm going to order some powerflex inserts in the next few weeks and a new middle exhaust mount. I'm unsure whether it's worth getting a new exhaust, but i'm tempted to get something quieter and run a decat.

I've noticed the car seems to sit quite a bit higher now too, now it's been stripped a little, which is annoying me. So been looking at coilovers, but i'm not going to do anything with this until next summer at the earliest i think.

Also I need to get some new locking wheel bolts, but i think i'm going to leave this a little too until i decide whether to run spacers or not. Thinking 5mm rear and somewhere between 10 and 16mm front.

Car is looking smart in the pics again :up: I bought the red Powerflex exhaust hanger bushes for mine too and they are defo worth the money, exhaust is rock solid now.

Also I need to get some new locking wheel bolts, but i think i'm going to leave this a little too until i decide whether to run spacers or not. Thinking 5mm rear and somewhere between 10 and 16mm front.

In regards to the spacers, just to give an idea, this is mine with 16mm hubcentric spacers..........

P1040495_zpszz1fctqh.jpg

P1040563_zpsri39ntsi.jpg

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Thanks for the comments and advice. Car looks smart there.

I've taken the Ultraleggeras back off the car now, they'll be getting a colour change shortly. Plus the Rainsports 3's are rubbish and the rears are probably past legal, The NS2R's are much better, at least in the dry.

The Ultraleggera are ET 37 vs the standard wheels of ET45, so already gained 8mm of offset with the wheel change. I guess my only option is to either go for something upto 10mm non hubcentric, or over 16mm hubcentric they'll equate to 18mm and 24mm. I believe the NS2R tyres are a little wider than an average road tyre, as they're a bit squarer. So will wait unti l've switched the tyres over and make a judgement from there.

Also need to think about getting longer locking wheel bolts, I assume i'll need to order two sets?

I'll probably order the exhaust bushes this month, need to sort out the heat shielding around the exhaust too, hopefully it'll just be a case of adding some larger washers to hold it in place better.

If i get time this weekend i'll be fitting the skoda front splitter. I've also got some Sabelt harness bolts and spreader plates/bolts that i'm going to use for the belt buckle that i'm hoping to fit, as currently they're just bolted to the side mount using the same bolt that is holding the seat in place, and i don't really like it.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Didn't get chance to work on the car over the weekend.

But i did get chance to sort the Ultraleggera's out, twice...

I bought some Simoniz alloy wheel paint from Halfords that was suppose to be steel grey colour, it ended up being silver, so took it back and swapped it for some Peugeot Iron Grey paint from Halfords, thinking it looked a nice shade of grey on the cap and scanning pictures on google.

Anyway while i was pretty happy with the finish it was rather blue:
Before Lacquer:
IMG_20161002_173333_zpscynzumtk.jpg

Finshed:
IMG_20161003_175406_zpskllsuj26.jpg

IMG_20161003_175009_zpsnbj6ymsb.jpg

I didn't really realise how blue they looked until i put them against the car. The garage lighting isn't great, so they didn't look too bad in there.

So I wasn't happy with the colour, i decided to start again, I knew Rover Stone Grey was a good match for the original 182 wheels, but also read a few reviews stating this had a slight blue tinge to it, so in the end i went with Rover Gunmetal Metallic, which is maybe a tiny bit darker, but doesn't seem to have the blue tinge i was worried about.

Results:
IMG_20161005_094204_zpsfwviu6rl.jpg

IMG_20161005_094222_zpsm5hx1e5q.jpg

IMG_20161005_094236_zpszjf9lrin.jpg

IMG_20161005_094153_zpstwuzvtzu.jpg

Pretty happy with them now. Just leaving the lacquer to harder for a little longer before getting the NS2R's switched over.

I was very close to going white with them, had the paint in my hands for about 10 minutes while considering other options.

May try white, before getting them professional powder coated.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
So i got the tyres switched over this weekend, gave the car a quick wash while my daughter had her afternoon nap yesterday as i didn't get time last weekend.

Much happier with this colour over the Gold, but they're a little darker than i thought they'd be.

Removed the nasty looking Renault sport badges too. Will eventually get the new style RS badge to replace the Clio badge i think.

Light was starting to fade a little, so picture are a touch darker than they should be

IMG_20161009_175948_zps8ymzj4o8.jpg

IMG_20161009_180003_zpsszudwqqm.jpg

IMG_20161009_180017_zpsjwf2m5ct.jpg

IMG_20161009_180108_zpsyn9nyw1m.jpg

I've also got a scenic shifter on its way with Yanoo 3.0 already installed. Will be selling the original shifter and Yanoo 3.0 once i'm satified i prefer the scenic setup. Still need to fit the skoda splitter.

I really need to replace the locking wheel bolts too, but i'm holding off until I decide what size spaces to fit.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
They look a lot better than the bluey grey you did them first.

Little drop and that'll look smart.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
It's on sportlines at the minute, but I have noticed the rear is a little higher since removing the rear seats (it's got a full tank of fuel in these pictures too), etc. I like the idea of going coilovers, so either B14's or BC's from Diamond Motors would probably be my preferred choice. Would need to keep the cost down a little, and it's would still be a daily driver, so nothing too exotic.

I'm happy to leave it for now though, as it still handles great. At least until i decide what the future holds for it, for some reason i'm itching for more power, and i've been looking at R53/R56 mini's along with R26's and 225's, still fancy a 330 or Z4 3.0 too.

If i do end up changing it'll probably be for either a R26, mk5 Golf gti or 330 coupe.

I doubt my wife will be happy for me to switch cars again so soon, so will most likely keep it until the summer at the very least. Our second child will be here by then too, so i may have changed my view on what type of car i need at that point.

I'd love to go coilovers and low boost turbo. I think with how the car is now, and these additions it wouldn't need anything else other than maintainence after that. But then i realise that'll end up costing the best part of £3.5-4k and i can buy a decent R26 for that now, throw in the worth of the clio, and i'm probably looking at a properly sorted R26 with change.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Well decided to change the wheels, as I don't think the Ultraleggera's really suit the clio to be honest.

Ordered a set of 16inch pro race 1.2's but would have been 6+ week for delivery to be manufactured. So because i'm impatient I switched to 15inch, then needed new rubber so got some AD08R thrown in for a decent amount, after topcashback, it should have cost around £570 for wheels and tyres, with fitting kit and bolt covers.
IMG_20161125_133117_zpsfdiom8od.jpg

IMG_20161125_133134_zpsbop6vmdf.jpg

The arch gaps are annoying me a little at the minute, but i'm trying to avoid spending a fortune on coilovers. The front isn't quite so bad, but as i've removed everything out the back the rear looks pretty high.

Also finally fitted the skoda splitter too, which i think lookls much better

And purchased a scenic shifter with stiff shift to replace my standard with Yanoo 3.0, this is fitted but i need to play around with the position a little more. Most likely need to bend the shaft back about an inch or two, as i've already moved the linkage as far as it'll go.

Love that with the impatience as i'd be exactly the same!! I think on this occasion you've lost nothing not waiting though as the 15's still look really good!

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I kind of justified it to myself that i'll be able to sell the Ultraleggera and NS2R tyres and not be a massive amount down.... we'll see i guess

I do like the smaller wheel, bigger tyre look, but as noted it need dropping, probably another 20mm all round roughly i'd say.

Would also have liked the wheel to be a little lighter in colour, i was tempted to go with silver after spotting a few nice cars running 1.2's at the track day i did at donington on the 19th Nov. But they were about £100 more, and they didn't have stock anyway. These wheels were the only wheel they had in 15 or 16 inch that would fit the clio that wasn't black.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
So i sold this just before Christmas and set about looking for either a Z4 3.0, or a TT 225. Ended up with a TT as i couldn't find a nice enough Z4 in my budget, possibly due to the time of year. Didn't really get on with the TT, it's a nice car and certainly a lot faster than the clio, but i prefer the power delivery and handling of the clio much more. The clio is also a lot better on fuel. TT averaged between 24-26 generally, same driving in the clio would give me around 32-35mpg. Which ends up adding up quite a bit when doing around 1200 miles a month.

I'd already decided i was going to sell the TT, and go to a diesel, either 123d or 330d coupes. But then out the blue i got a message over facebook from the guy i sold my clio to asking if i wanted to buy it back for a very good price. Didn't take much thinking about or surprisingly persuading my wife it was a good idea. So went and picked it up the following day. Bearing in mind he only did about 300 miles in it, it's like i never sold it.

Proper happy to have it back, and i think i appreciate it more now having sold it and had something else.

New plans are to basically just keep it running sweet and keep it looking clean. It'll need the belts doing next summer from memory, so may get the cam timing advanced a little to suit the RS2 a little more and remapped to suit. I am considering getting some trendlines, but more likely to go evo setup with the X-low adaptors Jon Foz sells on here i think. The clubsports were good, but i think a set of trendlines will be better suited for me.

I've only had it since thursday, been i think i've checked the parts for sale section every day since the wednesday he contacted me. So got to try and fight the urge to throw a load of money at it that it doesn't really need....... Some coilovers would be nice though and brembo calipers...

Glad to see this is still going so gets my approval! I do sometimes miss the thing as I loved the sound and drive of it but its nice to see its in good hands!!

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Glad to see this is still going so gets my approval! I do sometimes miss the thing as I loved the sound and drive of it but its nice to see its in good hands!!
Cheers mate. Selling it was definitely a mistake, glad to have it back now though.

It's not been driven much recently, for two reasons. One I've been off on paternity leave due to the arrival of my third baby girl, but more so because the alternator casing snapped, the bracket also cracked, and there was a load of damage done to the aircon bracketry and aircon pipe work from the alternator dropping down. With my wife being pregnant and me spending so much time fixing my blooding TT (now sold), she didn't want me spending more time working on my car, so booked it into Mick at Diamond Motors, he's a little busy at the minute so had to wait 5 weeks for him to fit me in. With the mess it caused (most wasn't visible until parts were removed), i'm glad i paid Mick to do the work instead of sorting it myself.

Also had engine oil and filter and gearbox oil changed. So £600 down having only driven the car for a week or two after getting it back. Still pleased with it though.

I've also stripped out the rear seats again, and bought a proper carpet to go in there. Replaced the leads with Red Magnecor, and fitted a 60mm steering wheel spacer.

The steering wheel spacer has really helped the driving position, but i think 40mm might be better. I'm considering a 330mm wheel to replace the 300mm, so wanted to play with the position a little, the 60mm was bought second hand (unused), so might go for a mid depth dish.

I've also been looking at seat options a lot recently, but can't decide whether i want to spend £500-800 on a set of seats just yet. This is mainly so that i can lower the seat a little more, which will also cause issues again with the steering wheel position being too high now its spaced out a little more.

Hows things going with this mate? Hopefully things have become a bit less hectic for you now!
Good job you have a good mechanic like Mick to take it to. Did he find out what caused it to snap?

Yeah, I bought a wheel spacer for it at one point to hopefully improve the position but I bought the wrong fitment and couldn't be bothered after that so started to look at the deep dish wheels instead but that's as far as that went........I also wanted to change that oil catch tank as well for a proper baffled one as I felt that one is ok but not ideal but couldn't find a decent one.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Well last week I'd decided i was going to sell it on and buy something a bit more sensible again, mainly because of the seating position causing me lower back discomfort. Started looking around at 123d and 330d coupes, R56 cooper S, Z4 3.0 Golf GTi, etc.

Then friday i had a quick look on ebay for some trendline evo 6 seats and made a purchase of some with the purple sides. Collected them on Friday evening after a 160 miles drive (got home at 12.30am, which was a lot later than i expected). So over the weekend i ordered some lower Recaro seat mount from Jon Foz. I'm hoping the better seating position and better seats is going to help the discomfort.

Also bought a 330mm steering wheel to replace the 300mm, as I think 300mm is a little on the small side for me.

May also look into getting another scenic shifter at some point and might need to lower the steering column slightly to suit the over adjustments made.

On another note, it passed it's MOT last week. I did have to remove the fog lights prior, as one of the lenses had cracked and i didn't want to run the risk of a fail on that. I'm thinking about getting some brake ducts to replace them. Though i don't intend to run the piping to cool the brakes at this point. I may us some to direct cool air to the RS2 intake.

Also gave the car a good wash, polish and wax yesterday, and it looks amazing now it's clean. I'd not really had time to clean it for a few weeks due to the expanding family and commitments and the weather being rubbish whenever i did have a spare hour or so.

Though this morning the air bag warning light is on. I've got resistors in for both front seats and the wheel, so not sure if it's one of these causing the issue. might be worth getting them reprogrammed i guess.

Will have to get some new pictures uploaded somewhere once the new seats are fitted.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I've got Trendlines in mine on Jon Foz lowered frames. Doubt you'll need to lower the column. The Jon Foz frames aren't that low, however they are a massive improvement over the standard seats and the standard Recaro frames that Jon does.

I've got a new wheel on my list of things to buy, will be getting an adjustable spacer at the same time and the driving position will be pretty much sorted as I already have a BMS (modded megane) shifter.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Can you still get the BMS shifter? I'd probably consider one of these over the scenic shifter just for the looks.

To be honest i thought i needed to lower the column once i added the 60mm wheel spacer, but i've gotten used to it now and it seems about right. I'm expecting the trendlines to be about 40mm lower. But will see how i get on once fitted.

Opened a Flickr account:

Only took one picture to send to my brother when i was putting them in the garage.
36028955580_06a77d7147_c.jpg
IMG_20170805_111758 by Darryl Whittaker, on Flickr

And a couple pics from today, though the pictures don't seem to have come out that great from my phone. Looks much better in person.

36257223892_3c96a67c7e_c.jpg
IMG_20170807_131658 by Darryl Whittaker, on Flickr

36288904121_ed6c4d7d35_c.jpg
IMG_20170807_131647 by Darryl Whittaker, on Flickr

Looks lovely in those photos :up: very interested to see these seats, I think they look great! Assuming they were much cheaper than the 'Trophy' Trendlines? Should look really smart when fitted. I too have been looking into the BMS or PMS shifter for my Arctic, @leeds2592 how much was yours and is it any shorter than the PMS do you know?

Oh and I had to open a Flickr account too, we've both joined the 'photobucket ruined our thread' club!!!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Looks lovely in those photos :up: very interested to see these seats, I think they look great! Assuming they were much cheaper than the 'Trophy' Trendlines? Should look really smart when fitted. I too have been looking into the BMS or PMS shifter for my Arctic, @leeds2592 how much was yours and is it any shorter than the PMS do you know?

Oh and I had to open a Flickr account too, we've both joined the 'photobucket ruined our thread' club!!!

I'll PM you rather than clogging up the thread dude.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'm interested in the shifter too mate

I've just PM'd @182_steve about it. I'll just copy what I wrote below.

Can't really remember how much I paid for my shifter, it was a while ago now, probably over a year ago. I think it was just over £100. At the time I didn't know about the PMS ones so kind of jumped into it when ash-b said he had one ready to go as there was a massive waiting list for his shifters.

It's still miles better over the standard ones though. Obviously higher and more bent back so improves the drive massively, I love it but obviously can't compare it to a PMS one as I've never seen or used one. I believe the one I've got is slightly shorter than the PMS one. Once I'm home from work, I'll send you a pic through that I took the other week of what mine looks like.

If you're at CSF, you can come and have a nosey/play about with it if you want :wink:

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
That looks better than the PMS version, being silver instead of gold. Shame they don't seem to be sold anymore.

Nice seats by the way. :smile:

Thanks for the info and PM @leeds2592 much appreciated, yeah I think that looks a bit better than the PMS one too from that photo and if it is very slightly shorter than the PMS one, that's all good...... Where did you get yours from? Website, forum?

........... yes nice seats too lol!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
That looks better than the PMS version, being silver instead of gold. Shame they don't seem to be sold anymore.

Nice seats by the way. :smile:

Thanks for the info and PM @leeds2592 much appreciated, yeah I think that looks a bit better than the PMS one too from that photo and if it is very slightly shorter than the PMS one, that's all good...... Where did you get yours from? Website, forum?

........... yes nice seats too lol!

Cheers guys. @Darryl_1983 that's the height of mine on Jon's lower Recaro frames. I took the little spacers out but it didn't sit level so I had to put them back in on the side nearest the door on both the drivers and passenger side. Be interesting to see if yours sit level without them in.

With regards to the shifter, I got it from @Ash-b-84. Not sure if he's still about or whether he still makes them in all honesty. Probably worth dropping him a message though. Think he may be more active on the on the other Clio group, who shall not be named, on Facebook.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I'll probably end up getting another Scenic shifter in the end and just bending it back a little further to suit, seems to be more available. I can't justify spending £330 on the PMS shifter, plus whatever the balance weight cost on top, when all i'm after is a better position that a £50 scenic shifter with a bit of modding will achieve.

Managed to fit my 330mm wheel last night, didn't seem much bigger side by side, but it feels massive in comparison when out on the road.

Also my Recaro mounts were delivered so bolted them up to the seats ready for the weekend.....hopefully.

Ordered some Ferodo front brake pads that were delivered today, so may fit them over the weekend too. There just OEM spec rather than the DS2500 or DS Performance, but from what i've read on here, they should be better than the typical Brembo OEM. Plus they were less than £20 delivered from Amazon.