ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My SQL

Hi Guys,

I am doing some work for someone who is running a my sql Database. They used to ahve an access database and could create reports using the design view interface in access (i.e. without using SQL) they are having problems with the my SQL DB as they don't know SQL and don't have tiem to learn.

I can set up reports for them but that doesnt solve the long term issue.

Is there an easy preferably free reporting tool for Mysql that anyone can recommend. One that is simelar to access and will elt them build reports with no knowladge of SQL?

cheers D

Mate, they can still use Access as a front end for the mysql database. The can create reports in the same way.

Just setup the mysql odbc connectors and then link the tables in.

First download the MySQL odbc connector from mysql's website. Install it.

Then create a new User DSN that links to your server using the newly install mysql connector. Use a username and password as normal depending on how you run your security.

Open access, new database if necessary. Then on the tables tab click new, linked table, then choose odbc connector in the file types menu. Choose the user dsn you created earlier from the list and it will pull all available tables available to that user. Just select them in the next dialog box and you have them available to run queries against.

Just a quick note to anyone trying this.

I was scratching my head for a while as access would not let me select ODBC databases every time I sleected this option from the linked table selection window the window simply dissapeared no error and no window to select an ODBC connection. After much searching I found out this was down to Norton Antivirus and the office plugin! Once this was disabled I could select an ODBC connection no problem at all.

Cheers again to 1fast6 for pointing me in the right direction.

I am a SQL server and Oracle guy by trade this is my first experiance of mySQL hope it goes well!!