ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Sunny Gti-R

Yep still does here’s he’s no 07723 361027

Still the same number I've got in my phone. Can't remember the last time I spoke to him, must have been getting on 10 years ago!

Awesome coolness!!!

Are those Nitrons or similar? They look trick as f**k. Power will be insane.

Intrax 4 way, I was originally just going to get a set of single way Intrax RSA dampers but then these came up!

The new Mk8 has the latest 4-motion system which now features a Torque Vectoring rear diff.

Which is essentially what Mitsubishi were doing in the 1990's.

I never really bother looking at modern cars as I can't stand them, everything is heavy as f**k these days and full of electronics and other pointless s**t to go wrong . . . . . . and don't even get me started on all these driver aids ESP DSC ESC HIV etc 😂

Even though I do 300-400 miles some weeks whenever I'm not away with a company vehicle I've got this as a daily driver 👍

20200831_123842.jpg

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Still the same number I've got in my phone. Can't remember the last time I spoke to him, must have been getting on 10 years ago!

Intrax 4 way, I was originally just going to get a set of single way Intrax RSA dampers but then these came up!

I never really bother looking at modern cars as I can't stand them, everything is heavy as f**k these days and full of electronics and other pointless s**t to go wrong . . . . . . and don't even get me started on all these driver aids ESP DSC ESC HIV etc 😂

Even though I do 300-400 miles some weeks whenever I'm not away with a company vehicle I've got this as a daily driver 👍

View attachment 1512477

I felt the same about modern stuff until I drove one...wouldn’t go back to anything older for daily use.

100% need an old manual Japanese car for the weekend though 😂

I felt the same about modern stuff until I drove one...

I've driven plenty and most of them are 😴 As well as being dull modern cars are just a big garage bill waiting to happen with DPF's, dual mass flywheels and loads of complicated electronics.

Must take after my dad, he's 74 now and up until fairly recently his daily driver was a 1979 mini that he fully restored himself, 1380cc lumpy cammed race engine, single Weber carb, koni suspension, 4 pot brakes. Absolute legend 😂

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
I've driven plenty and most of them are 😴 As well as being dull modern cars are just a big garage bill waiting to happen with DPF's, dual mass flywheels and loads of complicated electronics.

Must take after my dad, he's 74 now and up until fairly recently his daily driver was a 1979 mini that he fully restored himself, 1380cc lumpy cammed race engine, single Weber carb, koni suspension, 4 pot brakes. Absolute legend 😂
I’ve definitely had my fair share of expensive and annoying electrical faults with french cars! Haha! Agree some more modern sporty cars and boring but lots are also great fun.

Mini sounds epic! I’m looking at getting another Honda next year to piss about with. Can’t wait!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I just noticed how close the turbo elbow/downpipe is going to be to the radiator hose 😬

That's not where it's going, it was just sat on top the current exhaust manifold there so I could see how close the turbo elbow would be to the alternator 😉

I decided last week I need to crack on with this now after pretty much doing nothing all last year 😚 In my defence work has been pretty hectic and I've been messing about with cars way cooler than an old Nissan Sunny 😂

I've bitten the bullet and just sorted the garage out, got it up on stands and wheels off so no going back now. Just need to order a bottle of argon and work out the rest of the weld elbows I need for the manifold.

20220102_234051.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Been seeing a fair few people clambering to find an un-cut front bumper recently, getting to be like virgin parcel shelves on RS Turbo's, rocking horse poo.

People pay silly money for uncut bumpers, I've got a spare but its cut for a front mount ☹

They look crap cut out, I managed to trim the back of mine so it goes over the intercooler to keep it standard looking.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't get a huge amount of work done over Xmas on the car but I just found some old pics going through my laptop, this was from the National at Wiscombe park in 2012.

View attachment 1514323
I remember back in the early days of my racing (08-09) there were a couple of Sunnys competing regularly. Always epic fun to watch and fast too. Can’t remember the driver but a yellow one in particular, until it hit a tree a few metres before the finish at Mamhead. Always liked these cars as a result of watching them on the hills. Fun toys.

I remember back in the early days of my racing (08-09) there were a couple of Sunnys competing regularly. Always epic fun to watch and fast too. Can’t remember the driver but a yellow one in particular, until it hit a tree a few metres before the finish at Mamhead. Always liked these cars as a result of watching them on the hills. Fun toys.

The yellow car was Den, its his fault I started racing mine as I used to go to Wiscombe with my mate that raced his yellow Mk1 golf and think "I'll have a go one day" He was lucky with that tree at Mamhead, the car was in his yard for a while after he stripped it down and the tree went a fair way in, lucky it was the pass side 😮

I haven't spoken to him lately but he must be getting on for 80 now! I raced mine from 2010-2012, some of the scrutineers stickers are still on the dash 😂

20220108_165757.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
People pay silly money for uncut bumpers, I've got a spare but its cut for a front mount ☹

They look crap cut out, I managed to trim the back of mine so it goes over the intercooler to keep it standard looking.

It's that little bit of effort that no-one seemed to bother with, cos obviously you need the entire intercooler on show to make 350hp o_O

With a £100 ebay intercooler 🤣

Don't do that with yours!

I've had a couple close calls but nothing that big! I took a chunk out of the bank on the outside of sawbench once, took the tyre off the rim and the bumper still has the battle scars 😊

Had a massive brown trouser moment at Castle Combe sprint one year too, I braked way too late into Quarry and had to chuck it in and hope for the best. There's some pics somewhere of the event, it looked impressive on full opposite lock but i was 💩 myself 🤣

I feel like I've got unfinished business with sprints and hillclimbs as a class win always eluded me, had 2nd place finishes at Combe and 3rd at Wiscombe but haven't decided what to do once the car is done 🤔 Might just do some trackdays and enjoy it.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You’d be slotting into Class A4 I believe? Depending on who shows up it can be pretty bloody fast, that’s the class I fell into with the Volvo. 550bhp Golf R is the car to beat usually.

Know what you mean though, I’m yet to take a class win, but it’s a bloody arms race so not easy. Always someone spending 2-3 times what you are.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea if anything it'd be harder now than perhaps 10-15 years ago as the current crop of hot hatches are just so damn good.

Someone shows up in a new car with tons of power and you're pretty seriously outgunned.

My car has got weight on its side, it was 1180kg on the local weighbridge. A lot of the modern hatches are fairly lardy!

You’d be slotting into Class A4 I believe? Depending on who shows up it can be pretty bloody fast, that’s the class I fell into with the Volvo. 550bhp Golf R is the car to beat usually.

Know what you mean though, I’m yet to take a class win, but it’s a bloody arms race so not easy. Always someone spending 2-3 times what you are

Yes I always ran in A4. I know what you mean about people with big wallets, at Combe there was a guy that used to turn up with a 600bhp Nissan Gtr (this was nearly 10 years ago) everybody else in A4 knew they were just fighting it out for 2nd 🤧