ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My trax pics :(

Homo spec mazda
Well some may have noticed another presence for an hour or so at the CS tent. The AA man, Yep, that was for me. What a shitty weekend ive had, Basically on the way in obviously we were sent through the tunnel because thats where the CS stand was, as i got to the tunnel one of the marshals pointed me through the ex "pedestrian" tunnel which basically used to have a handrail in it, they had cut the hand rail down but not low enough, so whilst driving through all i heard was a few big bangs then the car lift up followed by my car sounding like a tractor. Initially I though it was the exhaust, but it arose that the gearbox mount had been sheered clean off.

So after a pikey AA man fix using a ratchet strap, i tried to drive home but it failed within 20 meters, so I kicked up a fuss blaming silverstone essentially and had to call the RAC out, the car is still in silverstone, whilst im home in a pimping hyundai getz.

Less then impressed and as such the only pictures i managed are the following.

Being lifted out of silverstone
47097_10150256772145117_609215116_14406138_6198158_n.jpg

47189_10150256820990117_609215116_14407553_684578_n.jpg

on the back of a recovery truck 3 hours later :(
47815_10150256905085117_609215116_14410129_2010320_n.jpg

On the way in to the recovery depot
47107_10150256938860117_609215116_14410786_4345350_n.jpg

47365_10150256935895117_609215116_14410747_1851821_n.jpg

and one of the many things that caused the damage
IMG_0251.jpg

FML

TTRS & V50
Knew this would happen to some one, there are some silly low cars at that show, and even I scraped coming out the tunnel up the slope.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Have they said that they are going to sort this mess out for you?
Its got to be down to them, if people where not so bloody lazy they should have cut the post off flush
Grrrr i bet you are proper upset..

SG9 Forester STi
Gutted for you, that tunnel was a nightmare it was full of massive pot holes and bits sticking out. Hope it gets sorted soon!

Homo spec mazda
If im honest i feel like im about to cry, im properly properly distraught. Gonna be without a car to get to work, and f**k knows what its going to cost me :(

spoke to someone there who tried fobbing me off saying it was my choice, no it wasnt i was directed by the marshalls stood all around the site, i left over the bridge, was it so much effort to send me that way?

gahhhhh :(

Mini Cooper S
Bit of a shame the bodge didn't get you home, hopefully Silverstone will stump up for the repair bill!

AA man in action:

59232_430445527948_661697948_5124229_2006890_n.jpg

Homo spec mazda
Also rocking my FAG numberplate there. Ye I nearly cried when i heard the ratchet let go :(

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS
Bloody hell, was in the same convoy with you as well, wondered what all the blue tape was hiding tbh, lol, hope you get it sorted tho, and it was cool as hell

Homo spec mazda
Thanks craig, I dont know why but i had a bad feeling about the weekend and well it proved to be right. :( sad times.

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS
well, i thought something was gonna wrong with mines, plus i heard a weird noise not after my stop at sandbach, sounded like a grass hopper, was strange as hell

Proper harsh, but I very much doubt you have a leg to stand on with regards to blaming Silverstone. There's bound to be a clause on the tickets/show pass that says they aren't responsible for any damage caused.

Homo spec mazda
Ye im scared of this being the case, its took a lovely chunk out of the subframe, but that can be fixed at a later date, i just want it to be driveable. :(

as dan said, private land and all that, but the place is a mess, an embarrassment if i'm honest, makes me laugh how they expect people to turn up to 'shows' and events with modified metal when the service and setup isnt good enough, i mean come on, thats dangerous, if someone had tripped on it they'd have to pay out...

i was as pissed when they sent me through a gravel trap on the way onto the circuit once, not got much love for silverstone at the mo...

contact them as a car enthusiast and see if they are willing to help. you can only try.

Homo spec mazda
Lol, i would, if i had any money left at all, having a horrible few months to say the least.

ye inititally i thought it was the exhaust, until i gave the engine a rock my hand and it nearly went 45 degrees, drove round the CS camp with my bonnet open sounding like a banger racer :(

Edit: Naith im in contact with the events organiser who is going to speak to the legal team down there, shes got pictures of the damage and ive sent her pics of the ex handrail, can only wait and see i suppose. :(

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
i think you would have a good case against silverstone for the access routes into the infeild not being fit for purpose, yes your car is low- however not silly low- after all it had driven all the way from where you live to the venue-

I guess its whether you want the time, hassle & money to persue a case-

Just thinking about it in my mind I would think you would the following as A start-

* Photos of your car standing on a normal surface with the clearance-
* Copy of AA report detailing what has been broken-
* photos of the tunnel- taken at an angle to show how much those hand rails stick up
* A couple of repair estimates

I think Silverstone will have a 'disclaimer' around damage & theft etc, its whether you could paint a complelling enough picture to a magistrate that it wasnt fit-

hope you get it sorted- was this the new car in the thread look what I just bought???

S

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm with Steve on this, if they directed you into the tunnel and you'd made it all the way to the show with no issues, I don't see how they can say it's down to you.

Be polite but firm.

Sad news though :(

Homo spec mazda
Taken loads of pictures so ive got that covered, im willing to go through the time and effort simply because its stranded me in a position of, i cant get to work as easily, i had to pay for the AA, Im going to have to shell out for the repair, its all just so much hassle. Its a joke that my car was sent that way, when there was a few civics and stuff just near our stand that were literally scraping on flat land yet they were allowed over the bridge, common sense would have prevailed but none was used, needless to say im going to fight this.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Is the pic deceiving? As that piece of metal looks about an inch off the ground. How low is your car?

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
I was sat with Seb through all this. I will put some pics up of the gearbox mount later and the odd thing is asoon as Seb came out of the tunnel exit they closed it instantly. Didn't get back till 3am lol but hope u get it sorted dude, will pop round tomoro

Homo spec mazda
Thanks Brench and thanks for sticking around last night, literally dont know what to do, im nearly in tears. :(

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Thanks Brench and thanks for sticking around last night, literally dont know what to do, im nearly in tears. :(

We will have a run to that French scrap yard in the b00st wagon one day this week, rang birchdown for ya aswell, they are gona bell u today mate

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Oh ok, i thought it may have torn off the mount itself, so thats not too bad.

Homo spec mazda
no but it is bent to buggery, and in the second pic just behind it theres a tear in the subframe and i dont even wanna know what damage has been done to the exhaust, will see when i get it back.

Edit: also in the second picture theres a bolt just sitting there thats half out, lord knows whats meant to be there but theres nothing at the moment.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
So what is actually wrong with it? It will get sorted mate, don't get so upset.

We will have a run to that French scrap yard in the b00st wagon one day this week, rang birchdown for ya aswell, they are gona bell u today mate

What is the boost wagon?

Homo spec mazda
The gearbox mount may be useable.... maybe not, not too sure yet it is pretty damn bent, the bolts sheered off inside the box, but hopefully it will come out, then theres a nice crease in part of the chassis and the subframe has a bit of a tear.

To be fair its not just this thats getting to me, its a pretty shitty month or two in all.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Meggy sport Craigus.

You're only problems "sofaboy" is going to be getting that old thread out, but a bolt extractor should do the job.

Have you actually f**ked anything? Or is it just a case of replacing that mount?

EDIT: Just seen the above, I'd get a new dogbone mount mate, won't be expensive, new bolt, and a stud extractor kit or whatever it's called. Should be an easy driveway job really :)

Homo spec mazda
Not actually 100% sure how much damage has been done as i wasnt capable of getting upto anyspeed, the exhaust sounded fubard, but only when the mount came away, when the mount was bodged by the AA, it sounded fine, theres some heat shield damage and the after cat lambda wires are pretty non existant. Other then that theres a tear in the subframe and a kink further up.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well to me it sounds like......

GB dropped, hit exhaust and subframe, I woulndn't worry too much about the damage to the subframe, it could only be cosmetic, something you can find out and change later if REALLY necessary.

Exhaust would sound like crap because the GB has pushed it down so it's knocking it's tit's off on everything it can.

Lambda sensors, you can either add a bit of wire in, or buy new ones.

Me personally, get it on the drive, get it up in the air and the engine on a jack.

Remove all of the dogbone mount, get a stud extractor and remove that bit of bolt stuck in there.

Get a new dogbone mount and bolt it all up

Check the wires to the exhaust sensors, if they're buggered, add a bit of wire in (just with some spade connectors for now)

Check the exhaust isn't blatantly bent/whacking anything, and check the mounts haven't been ruined.

Lower it all down, start it up, and assess the damage from there.

Jesus christ, not about this really. after getting to trax with it as low as it was with a full far it gets taken out by that. TBF silverstone should have sorted them properly, someone could trip on it as well. abit of H&S talk might get you somewhere with this as well. I assume your insurer gave you the getz? Also where is the car now then? still at silverstone if so what are they doing with it?

Hope you get this sorted soon!

Homo spec mazda
Luckily Rob, things are a bit easier at the moment, its getting brought down to manchester tomorrow, to a place where a mate works who have ramps and everything so hopefully it will be done soo, its just a ballache, and last night was so upsetting seeing as i only had basic AA cover and didnt know if id actually get home or not.

Clio 182
Nasty mate! A similar thing happened to me at VW festival a few years ago. As most VW's are slammed you'd expect them to set a decent road to the show, instead of a perfectly straight road on the grounds of Harewood House they sent us on a detour round a field covered in bumps. I escaped with just ripping my splitter off and bodging it back on but other people had mechanical problems. A few complained but as far as I know nothing came of it :(

Feel for ya man!

Evo 8 MR
It'll be reet, new lower gearbox mount and your done, easy DIY job.

Still worth pursuing, to hopefully get your money back for what you've had to pay out. If you do get anywhere with that it will be a long time coming I'd imagine so I'd focus on getting the car sorted to reduce the inconvenience.