ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My wireless keeps dropping out

M135i
im going to throw this laptop! :mad:

as title, my wireless keeps disconnecting from my router. its not the router as my xbox 360, iphone, desktop and other laptop work fine. admittedly i need to be investing in a new macbook but until funds allow ill be using this. it drops out quite frequently. ive re installed the drivers, the WEP key is the correct one, i just dont know whats doing it. wireless device up the shoot? its a Dell inspiron 6400 with intel pro wireless 3945ABG device.

even sometimes when it is connected the internet wont work for a few seconds. it driving me mad. any help would be appreciated.

Cupra
Strange, I have the Inspiron 6000 and it has recently picked up the same problem. I have just put a new modem on the router so I thought that it may be related to that.

I will let you know if I manage to solve it, it makes streaming films around the house a bit irritating!

Cupra
Belkin wireless N router with the Intel 2200BG on the laptop. My pc upstairs running Vista has no problems at all.

M135i
i think ive given up, just going to live with it. i can always plug the bugger into the router if i need to download.

I had random drop outs, from a PCI wireless NIC ended up buying a USB one instead and its fine. No idea why really but it was driving me mad with its low signal, when its only about 5 metres from the base.

Check the channel that each adaptor is using. I had to change mine from 11 to 10, because the PS3 is using channel 11 and was causing dropped connections. Well I think that was the issue...it fixed it anyway :eek:

182FF with cup packs
Here's a question, does it just drop out, then if you refresh the network list you can reconnect, or can you not re-connect until you reboot?

Definitely try changing the channel then IMO.

My issue was that the PS3 and/or PC would lose connection and then both reconnect. Changing the wireless channel of the laptop from 11 to 10 fixed the problem. Or at least if it didn't then something else I don't know about did.

Cupra
I have just tried something which seems to have worked:

Create a new profile, or use the admin one, and log in with that one instead. I have been using it all morning without a problem.

You will then have to copy all your files over from one profile to the other etc but it does seem to solve my problem.

edit: It seems to work on the original profile now too.... I give up.

Last edited:
  182FF with cup packs
ive changed the channel. ill see how that goes for now, if not ill try changing the profile.

Its sometimes to do with the adaptive speed of the connection. I've noticed it before with some cards, if the connection is at all iffy they hunt up and down the speeds. If it starts happening again, try forcing the card to stay at one connection speed (start at 10Mbit and work up) and then see what your stability problems are like.

Or move your wireless hub 6 inches to the left. I kid you not this sorted the issues I had with my desktop, it would constantly drop out for a second or two at a time which was always logging me out of WoW, I moved the wireless access point that was downstairs on the window sill behind the TV slightly further along the window sill and since then, not a single problem.

Cupra
I managed to solve this. It was my router which was causing my problems. Picked up a different make today and everything is working perfectly! Nobody could explain why the other one was behaving as it was though, spent ages with the helpdesk and the guys in the shop and in the end, they all just gave up and said try a new one.