ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

N/S Inner Steering Rack Gaiter Change

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All,

Had a quick search but nothing solid found, how hard is it to replace an inner steering rack gaiter? Just failed MOT on this, rear shocker and hazards not flashing in phase, shocks and switch I can handle but have recently done a CV boot and vowed never again, not sure whats involved in steering gaiter, is it something the indy would be ok doing you reckon?

Thanks!

Renault Clio 172 cup
Just about to do my track rods and ends on a 172 cup, have got the rods and ends already ( 330mm long for the cup ) but need to get some gaitors. ECP seem to sell a couple of different length ones, 148mm ones with a 12mm inner diameter ( which I think are the ones I need going by the track rods size ) or others which are 170mm long with a 9mm inner diameter. Or does it not matter that much? Any advice appreciated.

clio 172cup
Just about to do my track rods and ends on a 172 cup, have got the rods and ends already ( 330mm long for the cup ) but need to get some gaitors. ECP seem to sell a couple of different length ones, 148mm ones with a 12mm inner diameter ( which I think are the ones I need going by the track rods size ) or others which are 170mm long with a 9mm inner diameter. Or does it not matter that much? Any advice appreciated.

Did you find out which ones ?? Or does anyone here know what size ???

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I hate them on the Clio II (stupid rubber things) - One side is easier than the other from memory thanks to the subframe being there

Renault Clio 172 cup
Did you find out which ones ?? Or does anyone here know what size ???

I,m pretty sure I got the 170mm x 9mm ones, and they are now on so assume they are ok. Wasn't too difficult to get on really but I was changing my rods and ends at the same time. Just slide them over the rod and down until they are back in position. It can be a bit fiddly getting them stretched back over the end of the rack and then cable tied on but there is some room to play with and turning the steering one way or the other can help a little. Certainly not the hardest job I've ever had to do on a car.

clio 172cup
I,m pretty sure I got the 170mm x 9mm ones, and they are now on so assume they are ok. Wasn't too difficult to get on really but I was changing my rods and ends at the same time. Just slide them over the rod and down until they are back in position. It can be a bit fiddly getting them stretched back over the end of the rack and then cable tied on but there is some room to play with and turning the steering one way or the other can help a little. Certainly not the hardest job I've ever had to do on a car.

Thank you. :)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
There is a trick to getting the gaiter on to the rack. I spent hours trying the screwdrivers method with no luck at all - only ended up with cut fingers.

Right.... The trick... You fold the big end lip of the gaiter back on itself about 15 mm. You can then slide the gaiter on to the rack and then unfold the lip on to the rack, you might have to pull a little bit on the concertina part of the gaiter but it will unfold fairly easily.
This method took me 5 minutes per side if that.