ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

N/S inner driveshaft gaiter

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Hi, I seem to have an issue with the n/s inner gaiter. The cars done 2 track days and both times it’s failed.

The first time it was just a weep/small leak around the bearing on the shaft. The second time the gaiter totally came off the bearing and lost most of its oil.

The shafts were totally overhauled just before Christmas but a local driveshaft company.

My question is has any one worse had this issue? Because I can’t keep replacing gaiters every track day and eventually the box is gonna be the victim in all of it.

Thanks

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I had this happen once, replaced with new bearing and boot and has been fine since

172 Ph1
Put an additional fat cable tie around the rubber / bearing end and see if it happens again .

Also was it a genuine part that was fitted ?
Renault ones have a metal clip around them don’t they ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Put an additional fat cable tie around the rubber / bearing end and see if it happens again .

Also was it a genuine part that was fitted ?
Probably not .

I don’t know if there’s room for a cable tie to?

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure if it was a genuine one or not. But the place that done it has got a good reputation so I can’t see it being cheap cheap parts you know

172 Ph1
I’m assuming your old shaft is being used ?
Reason I ask is because if the shaft is slightly longer it’ll push the gaiter inwards to the diff and the rubber will want to naturally want to pop off as it’s under stress .
Also , if the bearing wasn’t pressed on all the way down the shaft it will have the same effect on a correct shaft .
Do you get what I mean ?

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
I’m assuming your old shaft is being used ?
Reason I ask is because if the shaft is slightly longer it’ll push the gaiter inwards to the diff and the rubber will want to naturally want to pop off as it’s under stress .
Also , if the bearing wasn’t pressed on all the way down the shaft it will have the same effect on a correct shaft .
Do you get what I mean ?

Yeah is the one off the car. I’m gonna pull the shaft off on Monday and see what’s what.

I was thinking isnit a failed suspension bush or something causing the shaft to pull. But a really quick inspection I couldn’t feel any play there

172 Ph1
Yeah is the one off the car. I’m gonna pull the shaft off on Monday and see what’s what.

I was thinking isnit a failed suspension bush or something causing the shaft to pull. But a really quick inspection I couldn’t feel any play there

Would not think a bush is worn , you’d probably be able to hear and feel it if it was , it wouldn’t drive right and would prob produce a noise of some sort.

Also this is not a common issue I have heard of , so hoping it an error with the gaiter or incorrect figment.

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Would not think a bush is worn , you’d probably be able to hear and feel it if it was , it wouldn’t drive right and would prob produce a noise of some sort.

Also this is not a common issue I have heard of , so hoping it an error with the gaiter or incorrect figment.

Pulled the shaft out last night, the gaiter was totally off it. The clip looked ok, I’ll be honest I don’t know if it was fully tight, but I didn’t have a tool to hand to check it.

I pulled the bolt from the bottom arm, and the hole in the sub frame is totally elongated. So that’s gonna have to be done to.

Out of curiosity do you guys know if there’s a difference between a cup and non cup lower suspension arm?

Thanks

172 Ph1
Pulled the shaft out last night, the gaiter was totally off it. The clip looked ok, I’ll be honest I don’t know if it was fully tight, but I didn’t have a tool to hand to check it.

I pulled the bolt from the bottom arm, and the hole in the sub frame is totally elongated. So that’s gonna have to be done to.

Out of curiosity do you guys know if there’s a difference between a cup and non cup lower suspension arm?

Thanks

Yes , two totally different wishbones .
Cup has increased castor as opposed to non cup

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup

I thought there was a difference and that the factors kept them in stock was to good to be true [emoji23]

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup

Sorry to be a pain. But there’s so much conflicting info on this forum I don’t know what to take as true sometimes, but is there a difference between the ball joints on any of the sport models. I know there’s size difference in mounting holes. But what about the joint itself

172 Ph1
From memory, I think the 2 litre ball joints are bigger in diameter where it slots into the hub .
Smaller engine clios deffo run a smaller joint .

With regards to the bolts that secure it , I would imagine they are the same bolts used on all models .