ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

N900 - talk to me

Just looking at this today.

Good points:
Good size QWERTY keyboard
Big touchscreen
Big memory
Multitasking
Good camera (for a phone)
Not an iPhone ;)

Bad points:
Bit big
Can't do MMS yet apparently (but should be firmware updated?)
Resistive touchscreen?? (although only Tom seems to hate them ;))
A brand new OS so could have bugs (but could be firmware updated?)
2 year contracts only it seems (from what I can see)

I'm not really seeing a reason not to get it?

(Although what's the difference between a Resistive touchscreen and any other touchscreen? And why is it so bad??)

Vodafone have got it for £35 a month for 600 mins, unlimited text, unlimited internet on a two year contract - I'm tempted... but really should wait until it's fully released on the other networks.

Speak to me, phone geeks.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
I have an N810 and I freaking love it, and it's not even a 'phone just a wifi internet tablet. I use it all over the place, and as LY can attest, even use the GPS on it for navigating to/around exploring sites.

With the N900 being a similar form factor tho', I wouldn't like one as my principle handset. That's why I bought the N810 (on the cheap a few months back with prices depressed courtesy of the impending N900). I didn't want another monster 'phone. Instead I wanted a small computer that I could browse on around the house and when out and about (courtesy of Openzone), plus install other interesting things on. I watch movies on the train with it. I play retro games courtesy of various emulators. I take notes on it in meetings.

What you've really got to realize is that it isn't really a 'phone. It's a small ARM based Linux computer that happens to now have a SIM slot. Hence the user experience is more like a computer.

Citroen DS3 DSport
A capacitive touchscreen is more responsive than a resistive screen. A resistive screen usually comes with a stylus too which I hate using.

Cool, thanks for the replies all :)

I'm still loving it - it has all the spec I want and apparently will still be around £35 on an 18 month contract on O2 when they sort their life out. (I don't really want to go with vodafone as they always seem to work out expensive if you go over your minutes etc.)

Apparently the screen is alright to use but I suppose I should wait until it's out to actually test-drive it... lol

Cupra
I've had a brief play on one and the screen felt pretty responsive TBH. It was not far off the iPhone anyway. They are pretty chunky though.

have you finally got the net at home paul??
lol

No - hence looking at this!

laz - Thanks for the recommendation, I need a proper keypad though as I can't be doing with a touchscreen keypad...

Andy - good to hear, thanks for the input :) I appreciate it won't be that small but then the iPhone's not tiny really! :clown: