ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

named drivers!!passing on no claims?

Im currently on my parents inurance as a named driver with direct line

Iv managed to build up my years no claims, and so i want to transform it to my own policy, and obviously i have to stay with direct line for another year

but after that year, if i built up another years no claims on my own policy (so 2 years no claims) would i then be able to move those no claims to another company, or am i going to have to stay with direct line forever??

any help really apprechiated!!

(and i dont want to be lectured about being a named driver, i wasnt aware when i took the policy out)

ben

I believe the no claims you obtain while being a named driver on a direct line policy are 'direct line no claims bonus'. Basically these are only compatible with Direct line.You can probably use them when you take out a policy in your own name, but when you move on to another insurer they will only count the no claims you got when you were on your own policy.

I ve got a couple of years Direct Line NCB from being on my mums policy (I drive her car every now and again) and I have 1ncb on my own, direct line wasn't the cheapest when came to insure the Lupo even though i have technically 3yrs ncb with them.
Its abit of a con to keep you with them I think.

ah ok, i understand, so basically, if i use the 'direct line no claims' to create my own policy, and then carry on for another year, and at the end of the year if i havnt claimed, i will still only have 1 years no claims to move on to another company?

i just dont want to (hopefully) build up a load of no claims, then to be told that they cannot be tranfered to another company, and have to start again

edit: so really...there is no point in staying with direct line, as no matter which company i am with, i am still going to only have 1 years no claims if i last another year without claiming? (if that makes sense)

ah ok, i understand, so basically, if i use the 'direct line no claims' to create my own policy, and then carry on for another year, and at the end of the year if i havnt claimed, i will still only have 1 years no claims to move on to another company?

Yes.

i just dont want to (hopefully) build up a load of no claims, then to be told that they cannot be tranfered to another company, and have to start again

edit: so really...there is no point in staying with direct line, as no matter which company i am with, i am still going to only have 1 years no claims if i last another year without claiming? (if that makes sense)

True, no matter who you go with you will only have 1yrs NCB in a years time. However, because you currently have Direct Line NCB it may make sense to go with them for another year as a policer holder as your DL NCB may lower the premium.
I would get a few quotes elsewhere first on your own as a policy holder as Direct Line aren't very cheap for young drivers unless your on a parents policy.

ok, thanks for the advice, thats put my mind at rest now

i know i should have realised, but its quite cheeky the way they say 'named drivers get no claims'...when technically they dont

oh well...lesson learned

thanks

I would disagree, when you request a proof of no-claims from direct line after your first year it will show 2 years and won't distinguish any difference. I did a similar thing a few years ago and when I rang around other companys they said providing I had that letter with the proof of ncb on that they would take it. I've had nobody question it in the last 4 policies.

172 & RSi
I have done a similar thing. First year driving and Liverpool Victoria gave me a years free no claims, so at the end of that year they sent me a renewal quote stating 2 years no claims discount. So I got quotes elsewhere for 2 years no claims and sent the renewal letter off when they asked for proof. Got the insurance with another company with the 2 years no claims discount :D

I would disagree, when you request a proof of no-claims from direct line after your first year it will show 2 years and won't distinguish any difference. I did a similar thing a few years ago and when I rang around other companys they said providing I had that letter with the proof of ncb on that they would take it. I've had nobody question it in the last 4 policies.

I have done a similar thing. First year driving and Liverpool Victoria gave me a years free no claims, so at the end of that year they sent me a renewal quote stating 2 years no claims discount. So I got quotes elsewhere for 2 years no claims and sent the renewal letter off when they asked for proof. Got the insurance with another company with the 2 years no claims discount :D

Agree with them. My first year I got a years ncb from CIS for my pass plus so end of that policy I had 2 years ncb and its carried on with that 1st year being from that. CIS never distinguished between the 2

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Im currently on my parents inurance as a named driver with direct line

Iv managed to build up my years no claims, and so i want to transform it to my own policy, and obviously i have to stay with direct line for another year

but after that year, if i built up another years no claims on my own policy (so 2 years no claims) would i then be able to move those no claims to another company, or am i going to have to stay with direct line forever??

any help really apprechiated!!

(and i dont want to be lectured about being a named driver, i wasnt aware when i took the policy out)

ben

ben let me tell you my story.

i got 4 years ncb discount as a named driver. so you would think that when i took my own policy last year that i would have been able to protect it.. right? WRONGGGGGGG

those years ncb that direct line claim to be ncb are actually "discount" years not ncb. so when i took my own policy i wasnt able to protect it but instead get the "value" of 4 years ncb.

So now i have to f**king stay with them for a further 3 years to actually be able to "protect" what ive earnt.

major scam that they dont tell you on tv. only when you come to take your own policy

and of course you cannot move between insurers.

thanks.

mark.

^ thanks for the reply mark, even though its not what i wanted to hear..lol

so let me get this right, if you stay with them for another 3 years you can transfer all your no claims to another company?

i dont know how it will work as i only have 1 years named driver no claims

(i have tried ringing then but i cant get anywere with them?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
^ thanks for the reply mark, even though its not what i wanted to hear..lol

so let me get this right, if you stay with them for another 3 years you can transfer all your no claims to another company?

i dont know how it will work as i only have 1 years named driver no claims

(i have tried ringing then but i cant get anywere with them?

according to directline i have 4 years discount and 1 full NCB from last year. The only thing is i cant protect that at all. I need to stay for another 3 years so that i have

4 years discount AND 4 years ncb. (which i now protect as 4years ncb NOT 8) so in effect the named driver policies are cack. :(

Im going to move to greenlight next year they seem to give a better quote as well even with 2 years ncb.

damn

ok mate, im going to be saying goodbye to direct line when my policy ends

with only 1 years ncb

Silver 172 cup
It is all very misleading.
I had 2 years named driver no claims with direct line from when I was first learning and using my dads car on the weekends.
I took out my own policy and it gave me a considerable discount that helped get me a much nicer car than I thought I could insure.
I have now accumulated 2 years of my own NCB and they are telling me that I cant have the named driver stuff anymore so my insurance hasn't actualy gone down at all this year as I'm pretty sure I had an equivelent of 3 yrs last year.
It has all annoyed me quite a bit and I have had many arguments over the phone with them trying to find out why it has happened. Ultimately though it now sets me free to go elsewhere as that was all that was keeping me there.
They are pretty piss poor when it comes to recovering money after an accident that wasn't your fault. Took me six months before everything was finally sorted out.
My advice is see if you can get it cheaper somewhere else. Don't go with them unless they make a big difference.

NJ.

525i, 66' Bug, Civic
Im in the exact situation, with direct line, on my dads as a named

Basically you have to stay with dl otherwise its like starting again on 0ncb