ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nankang NS-2R for Daily use

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Currently I've got T1R's on the car, and i'm not impressed with them, they were on the car when i bought it about 3-4 weeks ago.
I'd like to spend around £75 per tyre ideally, so i've been eyeing the Nankang NS-2R up and looking through threads and reviews etc for a couple of days.

Dry grip is obviously were they excel, and they should offer better grip and feedback over normal top end road tyre like the PS3 etc, which is great and the main reason for buying them to be honest. But as i'd be using them on my daily driver, I wouldn't want wet performance to be any worse than the T1R.

Now the T1R's seem to be rated as C, compared to B for the NS-2R, which suggest the NS-2R should be slightly better. I know the T1R's aren't a great tyre overall, hence wanting to change them, but the ratings surprised me, especially considering the Federal RSR's are only rated at F for wet grip.

So my question is are the street compound of this tyre ok for normal road driving all year round? I accept I'll need to take it easy in heavy downpours, as aquaplaning is probably an issue with them.

I am planning on doing track days in the car eventually too, but this isn't the reason for looking at this type of tyre.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Fine apart from f**king LOUD!!! Although in a tinny clio it wont matter quite as much. Mine sounds like the wheel bearing are all fucked.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Had them on my Evo as a daily and they were fine.

Did you find you had to drive any differently in the wet compared to a decent branded road tyre?

AD08R personally.

Yeah, but these are roughly £100 more for a set of 4 tyres. I have considered getting a set, but money is a little tight at the minute and I probably shouldn't even be thinking about getting tyres really. But having bought the clio to have some fun in it, it seems wrong that the car handles worse than my old Diesel Jetta with the T1R's on it.

I found the 180 NS-2Rs superb in the wet on track, no doubt they'd be a decent road car tyre, noisey though

I'm not to fused about the road noise to some degree, car is fairly loud anyway with the RS2 and exhaust. They are only rated at 71db in the rating, but I have noted that they will be louder.

Road use i assume?

Just buy some hankook evo2 at arould £50 each.

I was thinking about getting the V12 evo 2. But these are about the same price (Not seen them cheaper than £60 ish) and offer much better dry performance, and reviews seemed to suggest they were fine in the wet too. But tyre reviews are always a little difficult to judge, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of testing results for the NS-2R's

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Well i've decided to give them a try, ordered a full set of 4 in 205/45 ZR16 in 180 compound and XL sidewalls, for £280 delivered.

Not a massive saving over the PS3 which i managed to find for £380 including fitting, so once the NS-2R are fitted maybe £60 in it. But I wanted to give these a try and I've had PS3 in the past

Hopefully i'll not regret it too much in terms of comfort, noise and wet weather grip (though they can't be any worse than the T1R's).

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I found the 180 NS-2Rs superb in the wet on track, no doubt they'd be a decent road car tyre, noisey though

Really? I was sliding around every corner when the was a 5 minute light shower this weekend.

It was ridiculously light, I'm sure tissue paper would struggle to get damp... But the car over steered for fun.

Granted, they didn't kill me in the heavy rain on the drive there. But I'd be reluctant to run them daily.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Really? I was sliding around every corner when the was a 5 minute light shower this weekend.

It was ridiculously light, I'm sure tissue paper would struggle to get damp... But the car over steered for fun.

Granted, they didn't kill me in the heavy rain on the drive there. But I'd be reluctant to run them daily.

I found plenty of positive reviews and a few reviews similar to yours to be fair. But this seems to be the case with pretty much every tyre available. I don't tend to be too silly in the wet normally anyway. But if I think they're dangerous I'll be switching them for something more road oriented.
Just a shame the latest generation tyres aren't available in 182 fitment.

Ad08r for £80 more, done.
If I get on with these, I may go for the Yoko's next time around.

Yeah, on track they were great in the wet

I'm relatively new to the forum and have never posted but I thought I could add my 2 pence! I've just fitted a set of these to my 205 gti that I'm using as a daily, I've copied and pasted this from my thread over on 205gtidrivers.

Cheers

"I had a chat with Monsieur Gibbs and decided to get 4 of these. I must admit I'm pretty pleased with them, far more suited to my car/use than the A048s I had on previously.
As soon as I drove it I could feel that the sidewalls aren't as firm, the cars now much more pleasant on rough roads. The steering is also considerably lighter now which is nice as it has a 3.2 and no PAS.
Grip wise I'd put them somewhere in between PS3s and 888s, perhaps like a stiff sidewalled ps3?? seem very good in the wet too and don't require masses of heat before they work.

Overall very happy for the money, I'm not sure if I'd consider them a proper circuit tyre but make a very good fast road tyre
smile.png
"

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Well tyres were delivered yesterday, so went and got them fitted this morning.
Torrential rain conditions, so not ideal. But grip levels were definitely better than the T1R's that got pulled off, So I'm happy with them so far. However I only really tested straight line acceleration and braking, it was too wet to through around corners.

Also the noise.... what noise? Maybe it was just because of the weather.

I'll update again once I've put a few miles on them.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm relatively new to the forum and have never posted but I thought I could add my 2 pence! I've just fitted a set of these to my 205 gti that I'm using as a daily, I've copied and pasted this from my thread over on 205gtidrivers.

Cheers

"I had a chat with Monsieur Gibbs and decided to get 4 of these. I must admit I'm pretty pleased with them, far more suited to my car/use than the A048s I had on previously.
As soon as I drove it I could feel that the sidewalls aren't as firm, the cars now much more pleasant on rough roads. The steering is also considerably lighter now which is nice as it has a 3.2 and no PAS.
Grip wise I'd put them somewhere in between PS3s and 888s, perhaps like a stiff sidewalled ps3?? seem very good in the wet too and don't require masses of heat before they work.

Overall very happy for the money, I'm not sure if I'd consider them a proper circuit tyre but make a very good fast road tyre
smile.png
"

Ooh, pics of 205 please.

That's amazing.

I love how standard and powerful it is. Is that 250bhp from a rr print out? Or rough estimate?

How much does it weigh too?

That's what it made on Wayne schofields rollers when he mapped it, it made the same power on a r/r day too, at the end of the day that's a corrected power figure on a r/r but it does feel like 250....
I'm guessing it weighs around 880kg but I've never weighed it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 235

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
That's what it made on Wayne schofields rollers when he mapped it, it made the same power on a r/r day too, at the end of the day that's a corrected power figure on a r/r but it does feel like 250....
I'm guessing it weighs around 880kg but I've never weighed it.

I was only asking as I was wondering what the bhp/tonne would be

284bhp/tonne going from those figures lol.

Must go like stink!