ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nankang ns2r peoples reviews ?

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all,
Just a few questions on these tyres I have heard mixed reviews about them and was looking for advice and peoples opinion on them I know they do 2 compounds the 120 (track) and the 180s. Out of the two which one offers the most grip ? Plus which one lasts longer ? My car is a road legal track car so need a tyre that is road legal and offers better grip than a standard road tyre. The car will only be driven to and from the track so I am not using as a daily but need that convinces. Reason for my question is my R888 that are on the car at the minute have been pretty much been destroyed in one track day at Bedford so looking for a slightly harder compound plus at £450 a set I don't want to keep replacing them every track day. How many track days do people get out of there R888s. My other concern only having one set of wheels is in September the car is doing a day at Spa and then the next two days at the Nurburgring and the car won't be trailered so needs to be driven there and back with legal tyres lol.
Any help would be great. How many track day have you got out of your NS2Rs ? My car runs on 16" wheels and for a set of 4 £270 seems a very good price.
Sorry for the super long question but here's a picture of the car so it's not just writing lol
image.jpg

Many thanks in advance
Ben

They don't sell 120s in the uk anymore, you may be lucky and find old stock, 180s are decent but after one track day I changed mine for 888s which are sooooo much better IMO, certainly showed in my lap times! I've just ordered 2 X Nankang AR1 to try, they replace the 120 and are even softer

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Buy some 15" wheels and ns2rs for cheaper track wheels and tyres and put something like rainsports on the 16"s for travelling and wet track driving?

There's a thread on here stating that if you're competing and or chasing times, go r888. But if you're just after a bit more grip, the ns2rs are fine.

I found them pretty epic at my last outing at oulton.

Even when cold, they grip more than conti3s. Giving me a decent slide at lodge lol

Clio 220 PH2
They don't sell 120s in the uk anymore, you may be lucky and find old stock, 180s are decent but afte one track day I changed mine for 888s which are sooooo much better IMO, certainly showed in my lap times! I've just ordered 2 X Nankang AR1 to try, thes replace the 120 and are even softer
O right I didn't realised they had stopped selling them
How much wear did you have after one track on the ns2rs ?
I must admit the R888s are good but I don't fancy getting stuck in Germany because they are too worn to use I kind of need something with slightly less grip but can get me through 3 days and the drive home and still be fast
The ar1s look good but they don't them in 16s yet do they ?

O right I didn't realised they had stopped selling them
How much wear did you have after one track on the ns2rs ?
I must admit the R888s are good but I don't fancy getting stuck in Germany because they are too worn to use I kind of need something with slightly less grip but can get me through 3 days and the drive home and still be fast
The ar1s look good but they don't them in 16s yet do they ?

My 888s have done 4 track days with life left in them! The Nankangs are really hard wearing, in fact here's a pic after the track day....not sure about ar1 on 16s tbh
2035C0C9-93BA-4EEB-8F33-44E47A9BB317_zpshpvuqrby.jpg

Clio 220 PH2
Buy some 15" wheels and ns2rs for cheaper track wheels and tyres and put something like rainsports on the 16"s for travelling and wet track driving?

There's a thread on here stating that if you're competing and or chasing times, go r888. But if you're just after a bit more grip, the ns2rs are fine.

I found them pretty epic at my last outing at oulton.

Even when cold, they grip more than conti3s. Giving me a decent slide at lodge lol
That's the plan for winter I have pumped that much money into the car this year I need to start planning and saving for the ring lol I would like 15s that is still my plan to get them it's just for this trip I need to stick to the 16s so need to make best of what I have got
Haha like your style I don't mind a bit of sideways action it's a bit more fun
What's the wear rate of the ns2rs do you think they will last 3 track days ?
Thank you for the help :)

Clio 220 PH2
My 888s have done 4 track days with life left in them! The Nankangs are really hard wearing, in fact here's a pic after the track day....
2035C0C9-93BA-4EEB-8F33-44E47A9BB317_zpshpvuqrby.jpg
Wow what set up are you running to get four track days ? Mines bearly road legal after one. Lol. Is there enough tread on yours to drive them on the road ?
What I don't get is my dad has a set on his Z4m and uses them on the road and gets easy 4-5 track days and still road legal and mine in a Clio are destroyed after one lol
They have worn really well look pretty much new

Wow what set up are you running to get four track days ? Mines bearly road legal after one. Lol. Is there enough tread on yours to drive them on the road ?
What I don't get is my dad has a set on his Z4m and uses them on the road and gets easy 4-5 track days and still road legal and mine in a Clio are destroyed after one lol
They have worn really well look pretty much new

Ast coilovers, -3 degree camber, 6 degrees castor, pms arb, caged, relocated battery, poly Windows, still road legal, just :smile: The more track days I do the more I learn to preserve the tyres, getting as much weight as possible off the nose helped too, I've just fitted epas this weekend so a bit more off that was hanging over the front wheels, it all helps! I drive mine too and from the track, not had illegal tyres yet, I've done 11

Clio 220 PH2
Ast coilovers, -3 degree camber, 6 degrees castor, pms arb, caged, relocated battery, poly Windows, still road legal, just :smile: The more track days I do the more I learn to preserve the tyres, getting as much weight as possible off the nose helped too, I've just fitted epas this weekend so a bit more off that was hanging over the front wheels, it all helps! I drive mine too and from the track, not had illegal tyres yet, I've done 11
Sounds a very nice set up that's the sort of route I am taking with mine only just road legal lol :) how have you managed to get -3 degrees do you run camber bolts or with the asts you can get that camber from the top mounts ?
I was thinking about running -2 degrees camber with 10 minutes tow out and just dream about adjusting the caster lol I am on b14s good place to start do you think ?
Well part of me thinks that's why I have burnt through them so fast because I am normally driving the bmw and after talking to people there's a completely different driving style for front wheel drive cars. So in your opinion would you say change the set up (car is running factor geo because I was not running camber bolts at the time so the alignment kept being knocked out) and my driving style and I should get better tyre wear ? Adding to that what should I put on the car for the ring bearing in mind my milage on one set of tyres ?
Cheers

Sounds a very nice set up that's the sort of route I am taking with mine only just road legal lol :smile: how have you managed to get -3 degrees do you run camber bolts or with the asts you can get that camber from the top mounts ?
I was thinking about running -2 degrees camber with 10 minutes tow out and just dream about adjusting the caster lol I am on b14s good place to start do you think ?
Well part of me thinks that's why I have burnt through them so fast because I am normally driving the bmw and after talking to people there's a completely different driving style for front wheel drive cars. So in your opinion would you say change the set up (car is running factor geo because I was not running camber bolts at the time so the alignment kept being knocked out) and my driving style and I should get better tyre wear ? Adding to that what should I put on the car for the ring bearing in mind my milage on one set of tyres ?
Cheers

I have camber bolts and Ast top mounts :)
I started off with cup shocks and Cooksports so I'd imagine yours will be much better than those, still a bit soft for serious track work maybe but it's fun developing the car as you feel it needs it, most of us can't afford to do it all at once! Short term just get as much camber as you can IMO, tyre pressures and yes driving style will have a lot to do with it, Clio likes to under steer and spin up the fronts, understeering and applying throttle just kills the shoulders. I'm by no means the expert, I'm still learning, Nov '14 was my 1st time ever on track :)
if you get the geo done properly you'll feel the benefits, The 180s are a good all rounder, they are pretty good in the wet, but round the ring I'd have 888s on :tonguewink:

Clio 220 PH2
I have camber bolts and Ast top mounts :smile:
I started off with cup shocks and Cooksports so I'd imagine yours will be much better than those, still a bit soft for serious track work maybe but it's fun developing the car as you feel it needs it, most of us can't afford to do it all at once! Short term just get as much camber as you can IMO, tyre pressures and yes driving style will have a lot to do with it, Clio likes to under steer and spin up the fronts, understeering and applying throttle just kills the shoulders. I'm by no means the expert, I'm still learning, Nov '14 was my 1st time ever on track :smile:
if you get the geo done properly you'll feel the benefits, The 180s are a good all rounder, they are pretty good in the wet, but round the ring I'd have 888s on :tonguewink:
Very nice I would like to get a set of asts at a later date but I don't have the pennies for them yet. Yes they are pretty soft especially on the front the rear is pretty stiff but like you say do bits when you need to that's the fun of building these cars. I have done a lot of mods in a very short space of time so I want to get the car out and have a play with it lol :) I think before I change the dampers I fancy trying a new spring rate get these b14s to work really well for what they are. I have one more track day before the ring so do a bit of set up playing around and then fingers crossed my tyres last. Also don't go all out with my driving lol. Lucky at work I have corner weights and a lovely 4 wheel supertracker so I am going to do it all myself :)
I am going to finally destroy these 888s and then purchase one or the other if I can make the 888s last the trip then they will be going on but if not I might chicken out and go for the 180s

Very nice I would like to get a set of asts at a later date but I don't have the pennies for them yet. Yes they are pretty soft especially on the front the rear is pretty stiff but like you say do bits when you need to that's the fun of building these cars. I have done a lot of mods in a very short space of time so I want to get the car out and have a play with it lol :smile: I think before I change the dampers I fancy trying a new spring rate get these b14s to work really well for what they are. I have one more track day before the ring so do a bit of set up playing around and then fingers crossed my tyres last. Also don't go all out with my driving lol. Lucky at work I have corner weights and a lovely 4 wheel supertracker so I am going to do it all myself :smile:
I am going to finally destroy these 888s and then purchase one or the other if I can make the 888s last the trip then they will be going on but if not I might chicken out and go for the 180s

Mine's not corner weighted, excellent you can diy! My ASTs were unbelievably cheap, you wouldn't even believe me lol, right place right time for a change!
Have fun at the ring, I'll do it some day :)

Clio 220 PH2
Mine's not corner weighted, excellent you can diy! My ASTs were unbelievably cheap, you wouldn't even believe me lol, right place right time for a change!
Have fun at the ring, I'll do it some day :smile:
I mean the geo is the most important for me but the corner weights are there so I might just stick them on while they are free haha
I wish I could get a right place right time moment soon lol this car is costing a fortune haha
Cheers mate I shall indeed. You need to do it mate but once you do it you have to go back and back again very addictive

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I run the softs & managed 8 full days last year.
They are fantastic for the money, very positive with good feedback & communication.
Good in the wet & don't snap & let go when pushed.
My only negative is road noise but the trade off is worth it.
Set of four 17's for £400.
Had tyres costing twice as much, but not twice as much fun.

Clio 220 PH2
I run the softs & managed 8 full days last year.
They are fantastic for the money, very positive with good feedback & communication.
Good in the wet & don't snap & let go when pushed.
My only negative is road noise but the trade off is worth it.
Set of four 17's for £400.
Had tyres costing twice as much, but not twice as much fun.
That's very good mileage out of a set
That's good I know clios have a tendency to snap in the wet
Well I don't mind it being loud the exhaust is very loud epically as there is barely anything inside lol
I do fancy them for the money even if they last that trip I would be happy with that I just need them to last that's the biggest thing

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I ran NS2Rs (180s) last year on my 15 track tyres, they were cheap from tyreleader (£50ea). I did about 500-1000 road miles and one track day at thruxton and they were down to the canvas on one edge and under 2 on the other - fairly heavy camber and plenty of times round Church at 100mph+ took it out of them i suspect, I was by no means taking it easy!
I had r888s on the rear, which did the same road miles, then did the same track day at thruxton, had plenty of life left so came off the rear and went to the front and did an equally heavy day at Silverstone a few months later, a cold day at brands earlier this year, and they still have an even 2mm tread on them now. Considering the NS2Rs come with 8mm and the 888s with 5-6 i wasnt too impressed. Especially because at the time id only paid £5 more per tyre for the 888s (tyreleader deal at the time).

Clio 220 PH2
I ran NS2Rs (180s) last year on my 15 track tyres, they were cheap from tyreleader (£50ea). I did about 500-1000 road miles and one track day at thruxton and they were down to the canvas on one edge and under 2 on the other - fairly heavy camber and plenty of times round Church at 100mph+ took it out of them i suspect, I was by no means taking it easy!
I had r888s on the rear, which did the same road miles, then did the same track day at thruxton, had plenty of life left so came off the rear and went to the front and did an equally heavy day at Silverstone a few months later, a cold day at brands earlier this year, and they still have an even 2mm tread on them now. Considering the NS2Rs come with 8mm and the 888s with 5-6 i wasnt too impressed. Especially because at the time id only paid £5 more per tyre for the 888s (tyreleader deal at the time).
O right it seems to me everyone has a different experience there doesn't seem to be a sure answer if you know what I mean, I appreciate every car is set up different and everyone drives different but peoples experiences differ massively. What compound were the toyos were they soft or medium ?
Looks like maybe the toyos seemed to be the place to go I need to do some measuring on mine (tyre depths) see how bad they are but thank you for letting me know your expirence I am getting a much better picture about these tyres

Renault clio 182
Hi lads, I'm new to this site and im sure this has been covered manier times but, im thinking of pirelli pzero neros for the road and I'm looking at doing track days maybe in summer.
What's your thoughts....?
Ps, i had nankangs on an okd astra sport and they were mint in wet but nit sane power as my 182.
Cheers.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

This is why I got rid of my clio trophy!
I destroyed front passenger 888 in an evening session at Donny.
Yet my 5 can do 150 miles round Donny with little wear?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
This is why I got rid of my clio trophy!
I destroyed front passenger 888 in an evening session at Donny.
Yet my 5 can do 150 miles round Donny with little wear?
I dont think its the Clio. My first trackday tyres were a set of part worn avon zzrs (3mm left tops). These did 2 days at brands, 1 at bedford & 1 at rockingham, and they still have a little life in them (i can tell extreme edges are close to canvas).
I think the ns2rs are a great fast road (dry) tyre and good for those who don't push to absolute limits on track.

Clio 220 PH2
Hi lads, I'm new to this site and im sure this has been covered manier times but, im thinking of pirelli pzero neros for the road and I'm looking at doing track days maybe in summer.
What's your thoughts....?
Ps, i had nankangs on an okd astra sport and they were mint in wet but nit sane power as my 182.
Cheers.
Hi mate,
I have a set of pzeros on my daily and they are brilliant on the road I was really impressed with wet and dry grip I haven't really got it to understeer yet however I never push the car hard on the road anyway. I have never took them on track however my dad had some pzeros on his Z4m before swapping to the 888s and for a road tyre they were pretty good when you start to really push they will start to understeer it we were impressed with the grip. What I will say when the r888s went on you can straight away notice the difference but they are semi slicks so you will expect that. I would recommend them to anyone as a great road tyre with some track time

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I ran 400lbft through my NS2rs and I loved them in the dry or mildly moist. Had PS3s prior to that and I really could a decent amount of extra speed through roundabouts and corners. The wear rate was surprisingly good too!

However with any standing water it was truly awful but 225 width tyres was always going to cause issues.

Renault clio 182
Hi mate,
I have a set of pzeros on my daily and they are brilliant on the road I was really impressed with wet and dry grip I haven't really got it to understeer yet however I never push the car hard on the road anyway. I have never took them on track however my dad had some pzeros on his Z4m before swapping to the 888s and for a road tyre they were pretty good when you start to really push they will start to understeer it we were impressed with the grip. What I will say when the r888s went on you can straight away notice the difference but they are semi slicks so you will expect that. I would recommend them to anyone as a great road tyre with some track time
Thats great news mate thanks! As theyre getting fitted tomorrow at 2.30pm, cannot wait to see results. Haha

Clio 220 PH2
Sorry to ask another tyre question I have seen and spoke to a guy who was running yoko AD08Rs would you put them on the possible list or are they not as grippy as the NS2Rs or toyos ?
Cheers

Clio 220 PH2
I've not tried the ns2r 120 but the 08r would be between the 180 and 888 IMO
That's fair enough I wasn't sure there are so many different options you would spending ££££ finding the right tyre lol. This guy I was talking to said his set of 08r had lasted him 4 years of track days that's pretty good going I would say :)

That's fair enough I wasn't sure there are so many different options you would spending ££££ finding the right tyre lol. This guy I was talking to said his set of 08r had lasted him 4 years of track days that's pretty good going I would say :smile:

As many options as there are opinions lol I used my ns2r for one track day, doubt I'll use them again tbh as the 888s are so much better to me, they'll do for legal mot tyres!

Clio 220 PH2
As many options as there are opinions lol I used my ns2r for one track day, doubt I'll use them again tbh as the 888s are so much better to me, they'll do for legal mot tyres!
That's very true mate lol it's all down to personal preference as well I think. No you are right mate I think I have one more track day on my 888s and then they will need replacing however the car will be completely different weight wise and set up so I could drive it and think these tyres are amazing and buy more but I do need to get a second maybe third set of wheels just to have road, dry and wet set up but that will have to come after September lol

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
When people here are saying X is better than Y, what are your applications? That is, competition, hill climbs, etc etc or general track use?

Of course the r888 is going to be better at finding extra time and grip when you're competing and you need the best, but they also come at a cost.

The tyres I've been looking at for a few track days a year are here mostly from camskill and oponeo

225/45/17

R888 - £128
Ad08r - £100
Ns2r - £82
595 RSR - £77

I'd expect the r888s to be the best at that price, but just because I'm ducking around on track and not chasing time, the cheaper options would do for me.

I really want to try RSRs after going out in pacmans car on them last year, but I've currently got ns2rs which I've found to be epic on the front. I need another two for the rear now, I bought some wheels with 2 ns2rs and 2 conti3s and chucked them on as is for oulton a few weeks back. The ns2rs were pretty ace even from cold, almost catching me out at lodge on the first lap lol