ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a Wireless Router...

German Barge
Got my laptop on the way now, so need a router... but i don't want to spend a fortune

any good cheap ones going at the moment... its only for 1 computer, 2 at most!

any suggestions?

Trophy #267
apols, i meant you can have 2 sorts. 1 for adsl lines where the router has a adsl modem built in, and one which can be used on ntl cable modems which have a network cable (also called cat5) connector. the linksys wrt54(g)(s) is a very good bit of kit but only comes in the sort which is used with cable modems. Im sure linksys do similar including adsl modem but im not familiar with it. (the main benefit with wrt54g is that its good hardware and can be flashed with 'alternative' firmware to make it into a very powerful router indeed)

Clio RS 172 '00
don t buy the WRT54G v 5 or 6 or 7 they are bad quality(Less memory no good operatingsystem(VXworks instead of linux) and more)

if you want a good cable router buy the wrt54g L(L stands for Linux)

German Barge
thanks wolf

i did a bit of reading on other members experiences, and then netgear dg834g comes out quite well, i have opted for this one.

Cost me £35 delivered, but it seems user friendly etc.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Netgear easily the best IMO, never had aproblem with y setup, apart from when I tried on get it on a vista laptop. Took a while but got there in the end somehow!

R

rich[182]

Cisco have or are about to drop the Linksys brand and look again at their consumer products, I know from people in the business (let alone my own problems and threads on forums and support sites) that the Linksys product range has had a very bad failure rate so Cisco either pulling the plug or re-branding speaks volumes on the situation imo

I'd go Netgear tbh