ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need advice on site

Fiat Panda 100hp
Heya fellows/ladies,

Heres my site (in development) www.vorax-systems.co.uk

I need a picture i think to brighten up the home page and break it up a lil...what would you guys suggest doing? Im using dreamweaver.

Pictures should be computer orientated I think.

Thanks for suggestions.

page cannot be displayed...

EDIT: front page looks good, maybe a picture of a graphics car or something on upgrade and repair screen, picture of various antivirus software on that page etc etc

Fiat Panda 100hp
theduckeatspork said:
page cannot be displayed...

EDIT: front page looks good, maybe a picture of a graphics car or something on upgrade and repair screen, picture of various antivirus software on that page etc etc

Was thinking that for the home page, but I have tried adding a keyboard in and it just looks like a random jpeg stuck there, any ideas how to blend the pic etc?

piece of piss mate. get the picture of the keyboard use photoshop or simlar to increse the translucency and then set it as the back ground image

Skoda
If you want help to do a faded background picture in photoshop let me know and I'll talk you through the process to import it into dreamweaver also

army182 said:
If you want help to do a faded background picture in photoshop let me know and I'll talk you through the process to import it into dreamweaver also

surely just using

HTML:
<body background="Backgroundimage.gif">

will be fine?? or is there someway which does it better?

EDIT: Just checked your code and see you are using CSS so i'll just shut up when it comes to coding techniques

Fiat Panda 100hp
army182 said:

That would be grand, cheers. pm me

Fiat Panda 100hp
anuther thing that is really getting on my tits tonight is how the fonts and the layout allways chnage from page to page, everytime I think that I have made them both the same, i press enter for a new line and it bugers up again.

Sorry total novice with dreamweaver.

are you coding in raw CSS or using dreamweaver to produce it for you?? If you are programming in raw CSS then write it in note pad first, and just use dreamweaver for error checking.

Fiat Panda 100hp
im using the design view in dreamweaver to create the whole thing, my mate has set it all up for me. Then I have FTP to upload it

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
with the fonts, and styles you want to use CSS. cascading style sheets. it will cascade all the same fonts, styles etc across your whole site. then if you decide to change the font, or any element, you edit the style sheet and it changes the whole website for you in an instant. saves you hours of work!

try and stay clear of adding indiviual style preferences per element, per page, and using dreamweaver for anything other than previewing your work, and managing the site. the wysiwyg and drag/drop features are more trouble than they are worth.

if you want to do it properly then i would strongly advice learning html basics, css and tableless design. once you've the hang of that, you'll find it so much easier! :D

Fiat Panda 100hp
Thats CSS thing sounds good, where if I changee one thing then the whole site will change. I havnt got a clue where to start with this thou.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
ill see if i can find any good tutorials, but if ya search google it should come up with some. you want an external style sheet though, not stylesheets within the html. :)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
external style sheets are great matey, because it splits your code and style up completely.

all you have to do is give elements in your html ID's or Classes's depending if they are unique or not, then in the css doc link the style to the ID or class.

e.g in your html you might have:

<div id='info'> my info goes here </div>

then in your stylesheet you will have (#= id, . = class):

#info {
background: #2B5D8B;
color: #ffffff;
font: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
margin: 5px 10px 10px 10px;
padding: 0px;
}

then just link your stylesheet to the html in the header:

<link href="css/portfolio.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

may give that a go when i do some re-writing of the site. Want to change the font in the navigation bar so will try it then.