ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need bass.........but not too much!

None
I'm struggling to cope with having no bass at in my clio, i have a sony head unit and sony speakers but they are all standard size and i have pretty much zero bass and i like bassy songs so i need some idea's guys on producing bass without filling my boot with a big heavy box........been there done that but now i need bass without losing the space!
I don't need a thousand watts, just something reasonable.

Any idea's on alternative's welcomed, cheers guy's

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
6x9's on a stealth shelf with a small amp in the boot to run them? I've recently added my 6x9's to the Clio, the difference in bass is unreal, takes up barley any boot space, and is realtively cheap :)

None
6x9's on a stealth shelf with a small amp in the boot to run them? I've recently added my 6x9's to the Clio, the difference in bass is unreal, takes up barley any boot space, and is realtively cheap :)

do you mean stealth as in losing the original shelf or modifying it to fit the 6x9's?, where did you fit the amp also?, i need to able to fit stuff in the boot too, sometimes with the seats down.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You can hide the amp anywhere, just means running a bit more cable if you want it out of the boot, an easy place to put it is on the sidewall of the boot, I used a bit of laminate floor, bolted that to the side of the boot and then screwed the amp to that.

Amps are only tiny, and won't interfere with anything you wanna put in the boot really.

You can pick up another shelf on here for around 10£ and then cut it to fit some 6x9's, then carpet over the top, and its gone. A little bit of skill required, but nothing major.

I bought my shelf already done, (6x9's in) but I've still got to carpet over it.

Not a Clio
What's your budget??

6*9's are a cheap option and personally I think they are a waste of money and wouldn't put them in my car if they were free (or you paid me a small amount :rasp:).

Baffle the front speakers with MDF and insulate the doors, preferably fibreglass them sealed. That will help. So will an amp.

MK3

Dynamiqueee
You any good with fiberglass? You could make a small sub box to fit into the side of the boot, would hardly take up any room and look quite good imo.

If not, I have a stealth shelf you can have for £10 + postage? Gives you something solid to mount the speakers too..

None
I realize whatever i get won't match the 600 watt sub box i had but it was far too big, not sure about the 6x9's yet, they are definately concealed more but not sure it will add enough as i'm likely to blow them trying to use them purely for bass.

as for budget it's doesn't matter too much, i'll consider anything thats good, as long as it's not ridiculous in price :)

MK3

Dynamiqueee
I'd of had that if you weren't so far away!

I think i paid £45 for it from a guy off here, but uprgraded the front comps in the end, so no need for 6x9s now.

The misses won't let me bring it into the house so it's been lying on the back seats of my car for about 4 months lol!

MK3

Dynamiqueee
If i was you i'd definately make a fiberglass enclosure mate. Take all the side carpets ect out, cover the area in masking tape..

Apply resin + matting, build up a few layers and your done! Make the front a side panels out of MDF, make sure it's properly sealed and your onto a winner ;)

However some subwoofers require alot more box space than others, so youd have to look into it before you bought one

I realize whatever i get won't match the 600 watt sub box i had but it was far too big, not sure about the 6x9's yet, they are definately concealed more but not sure it will add enough as i'm likely to blow them trying to use them purely for bass.

as for budget it's doesn't matter too much, i'll consider anything thats good, as long as it's not ridiculous in price :)

None
Anyone got any pics of this fibreglass idea that they have done?........or pics of a well made stealth shelf, i did one of those in my old golf and it looked messy :(

None
Just out of interest does anyone have experience with underseat subs?.....i mean ownership not fitting :)

Not a Clio
Sell your sony speakers (they're all crap anyway) and get some decent 6.5" components. Baffle them and insulate the front doors. It will be much better for a start, then you can take it from there!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just out of interest does anyone have experience with underseat subs?.....i mean ownership not fitting :)
I have an Alpine one in my 172. I'm not one to drive around with the music up loud etc, but adds a nice bit of bass.

None
Can't fit one in the wheel well as it doesn't have one ;)

I'm kind of thinking now about raising boot floor so i can hide amp under there too.
no good with the fibreglass in the side panels of the boot as there is not enough room in the 182 and i'm not sure if the underseat sub will add enough to be worth while doing.

does anyone know what the minimum diameter for a decent sub is?......are we talking 6" 8" or 10", i reckon i can lose 4"-5" of depth from the boot floor without missing it but of course the bigger the diameter of the sub the deeper the sub will be also.

Not a Clio
Simply - for actual "bass" you need a 10" at least. Remember an amp will need cooling, I used to have my amp in a false floor and if anything went on top of it it would protect itself from overheating and cut out....:dead: not cool!

If I was you I would make a simple MDF box to suit the side profile of your boot and make it just deep enough to give the sub enough air to breathe. Put a grill on the sub and you will have a decent amount of boot space left.

I have recent moved from an impractical setup to the setup I have descibed and it's SO much better, I can actually fit stuff in the boot, and with a grill you can let you thicko mates put stuff in too! (they always seem to want to put their bags leaning against the sub-cone....c**ts :rolleyes:)

MK3

Dynamiqueee
You can get 8" subs, but im not sure how it would sound

Are you planning on mounting the sub so it sits flush with the floor?

If so, remember that the size of the enclosure the sub is in will make a big difference in how it sounds.

Also as Lyons mentioned, amps will need cooling. A simple relay wired to the 'remote' of the amp will allow you to use 12V pc fans.

None
You can get 8" subs, but im not sure how it would sound

Are you planning on mounting the sub so it sits flush with the floor?

If so, remember that the size of the enclosure the sub is in will make a big difference in how it sounds.

Also as Lyons mentioned, amps will need cooling. A simple relay wired to the 'remote' of the amp will allow you to use 12V pc fans.

Yeah it would be flush with solid mesh over so the boot could still be used, the depth below the sub/s would be pretty much zero but the space around them would be the whole of the boot floor raised about 5"

MK3

Dynamiqueee
Can't see that sounding very good tbh mate, but im no expert.

Get yourself over to talkaudio, make a thread in the general car audio section and im sure the ICE boffins will be able to help you out!

Yeah it would be flush with solid mesh over so the boot could still be used, the depth below the sub/s would be pretty much zero but the space around them would be the whole of the boot floor raised about 5"

None
Can't see that sounding very good tbh mate, but im no expert.

Get yourself over to talkaudio, make a thread in the general car audio section and im sure the ICE boffins will be able to help you out!

Cheers mate, i'll have a look there.

Mk2 172
Simply - for actual "bass" you need a 10" at least. Remember an amp will need cooling, I used to have my amp in a false floor and if anything went on top of it it would protect itself from overheating and cut out....:dead: not cool!

If I was you I would make a simple MDF box to suit the side profile of your boot and make it just deep enough to give the sub enough air to breathe. Put a grill on the sub and you will have a decent amount of boot space left.

I have recent moved from an impractical setup to the setup I have descibed and it's SO much better, I can actually fit stuff in the boot, and with a grill you can let you thicko mates put stuff in too! (they always seem to want to put their bags leaning against the sub-cone....c**ts :rolleyes:)

Need a ten??? U ever heard a JL 8W3 or W7! lol

i had a infinity basslink 2 in my last car. Not huge amounts of bass but good quality and quite a small box. not much bigger than a 24 pack of beer on its end.

Id have another one in my next car.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
easy option for me was just a small 8inch active sub in the boot to one side, small enough not to fill the boot plus it give a good punchy bass line but not too much so you sound ridiculas down your street lol

Mk2 172
Yes, why? :clown: Lol

Admittedly in the right box a decent 8" sub can do the business, but I don't think it would be appropiate in this thread or save space...

Jl's new 8w3 stealth box is tiny and kicks arse.
If he wants cheap but delievers then a little MTX 8 inch tube with amp in it performs well and is on offer for 110 quid at mo