ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help - Cat D

Black 1.2 Dynamique (54)
Have found a car for sale, is a cat-d civic, guy has told me it was a bit damaged on the front bumper and the wing, what do people think?

Is well within my price range and is really nice car, just not sure about buying a cat d.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
if you cant tell were its been repared i must of been a decent ish job. if the pirce is a bit lower than normal i woudl go for it nothing wrong with 90% of cat d/c writeoffs .

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
yea would i be right in saying its usually cosmetic (expencive cosmetic) n thats why its a cat D

I'm not one for recorded cars at all, but often it's not a bad way to get a nice car for decent money, assuming the repair is good etc.

Pics of before, during and after the damage are a must.

It is also worth remembering that if you claim you will only get the cat D of the car, not market value.

would never want one, but if you dont tell anyone it looks like you spent more money than you actually did

Black 1.2 Dynamique (54)
Would need to be a fair bit more than just " a bit of damage on the bumper and wing" to write off an 03 plate.
I'd be a little bit wary (sp?) even ask for pics as said.

You think theres more damage been done to the car then the guy is stating? Would make sense as is quite low price for an 03 plate.

My general experience of catergorised cars is avoid like a chick with a dick.
Before and after photos are a must, it may look cracking but it could handle like a pig, uneven tyre wear etc, most cars are never the same again as most people just replace the bare minimum to get them back on the road, this is all based on my experience.

You think theres more damage been done to the car then the guy is stating? Would make sense as is quite low price for an 03 plate.

Well even if they were replaced with genuine parts, you'd need more than a new wing + new bumper + painting and fitting etc to write off an 03 plate civic. Being a honda you'd only need to paint the wing and possibly the door.

Black 1.2 Dynamique (54)
Should I look to be paying around 60-70% if the market price for a cat D car??

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Have you got pictures and i'll tell you to buy it or not.

911 GT3, 320i, M3
Cat D's not really a big problem will only be cosmetic, My old M3 was Cat D and I got it for atleast £2k less than other similar cars.

I would say go for it if its 25% cheaper than similar cars or if you are thinking about keeping it for a long time as resale is always an issue.

Black 1.2 Dynamique (54)
Decided not to go for it as will be reselling in around 2 years, and from what I have heard the resale would of been real hassle

Clio 200 LY/SV650S
My clio is a Cat D. 1.2 campus
Spotless tbh mates always act shocked when mention it is a CAT D. However as you said yourself, resale is a bugger! If you want a car quickly and cheap I'd get one which I did, but if your looking for something bigger for next purchase, don't bother, you only going to get a little back.

E92 M3
nothing wrong with a cat D

they dont repair anything when my was writen off it said it was going to be £2500 (all new parts from renault) and it only cost me £500 to get it fixed