ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help choosing an amp!

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
Hey guys,
Just sorting my clio out with some subs. Currently I'm working in the boot putting up some nice panels on the sides to square it off and make somewhere to fit my amp(s) and also I have a nice double 10" sub box in there. Due to money I've only got some cheap 10" subs to get my started which are SPLX (400watt max). I have a a nice big wiring kit ready to stick in but the only amp I have is an Alpine MRP-T130 (2x90W or 1x240W). I hear this is a nice amp but I'm not so sure it'd be powerful enough to kick my two subs? Can anyone make any suggestions on a good amo to go for? And places to get it from? Cheers.
Dan.

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
I'll pay upto 200 first time round if it'll give me enough punch and potential to upgrade the subs at a later date.

Clio 172 01 & MK1 Golf
Try to get hold of a Genesis Dual Mono amp or at least listen to one, you should be able to find used examples in that pricerange, I don't think Genesis produce them anymore but they have been around since the mid 90's.:dapprove:

I have two Genesis amps, a 'Stereo 100' and a 'Dual mono'. On the certificates you get in the box when you buy them (all their amps are measured before delivery) it says: Brigde@14,4Volt/4ohm 'stereo 100' 307Wrms Brigde@14,4Volt/4ohm 'Dual mono' 503Wrms, kind of okay considering that you can run them at extremely low impendance (spelling?:S ). I used the dual mono bridged in several years in 0,33ohm using two 12" DLS subs connected to an Accumatch, worked perfectly and created massive power.:approve: :cool:

I Also think that you shold check out DLS A-serie amps, massive power and an excellent sound if you want to use them for other speakers.

Take a look at www.dls.se (available in english) or look here http://www.dls.se/english/distributors/great_britain.htm
Swede's know how to design amps that works right.;) :D

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
I think the Amp for 200 quid is a bit OTT for me, altho I do like it! Screens and buttons are always a bonus! So the other Alpine amps you suggested - would these provide me with plenty of power? What kind of Output should I be looking for in an amp? And would the current Alpine Amp I already have do anything at all or should I not even try and use it? Thanks again for the input!

Clio 172 01 & MK1 Golf
danjacko said:
I think the Amp for 200 quid is a bit OTT for me, altho I do like it! Screens and buttons are always a bonus! So the other Alpine amps you suggested - would these provide me with plenty of power? What kind of Output should I be looking for in an amp? And would the current Alpine Amp I already have do anything at all or should I not even try and use it? Thanks again for the input!
Use your current amp to power the frontspeakers and go for a separate amp for the subs, why not? When it comes to how much power you'll need I'll say try to get something like 250wrms per sub, anything over that is just a bonus.:) You can't get to much power when it comes to subs, as long as the signal to the amp is clear.;)

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
Cheers I might just do that - a local store is trying to sell me an amp made by Pro Plus - it's one of their competiton series amp and it looks wickid and had a big output - can't remember the figures! It was half price at 99.99 so I was tempted! If I was do use my alpine amp for the front speakers - what kinda speakers up front should I upgrade to? And can the amp be mounted in the boot and can the original dash tweeters be used??