ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need Help Choosing Subs!

Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
Hey all,
Well finally got round to doin my install and I have everything I need apart from my subs now. I want two 10" bad boys that will kick out some nice bass from my Kenwood KAC-7251 ( http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/183.html ). I know this amp is a little underpowered but I already have my enclosure ready so I would like two 10's. Also how do I wire them to the amp? They're lots of different ways isn't there? Any suggestions? Cheers!

clio mk2 ph2 1.2 16v
I've got audiobahn that kick out some wild base (well they did till my headunit was stolen lol) but i quite like mtx subs aswell. u can easily wire em up its just speaker wire it will have some sots for both ends of the wires on your subs and your amps

hope i have help kinda lol

Polo + Micra
infinity perfect 12 vq' (well everyone else say theres are the best lol)

RE, boston acoustics, rainbow, JL are all good choices

to run from that amp you need either two (2 ohm single voice coil ones) or (4 ohm dual voice coil ones)

Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
Dink, I remember you telling me to buy some RN audio ones last time I posted, do you remember? Think they were 100 a piece. Also, do I wire one sub to the left and one to the right channel? Is that correct?

Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
Hey all,

Can anyone tell me if these would suit my amp? Two of them off the kenwood amp I have. If they would are they decent and how would I wire them to the amp? Straight in? Parallel or ??? Help! lol
Cheers.

Dan.

muz

big fat japanese bus
to get the best from that amp you want to be showing it a 1 ohm load. this will only be giving you 460 RMS so I would suggest a single sub with 2x2ohm voice coils. this will be far better than 2 subs showing 2 ohm as you would only be giving them 230 watts which is about what my mids get.

I take it you want bang for buck as well judging by the amp. Give me 5 mins

muz

big fat japanese bus
this JL fits the configuration however is a bit poor in the power handling department

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1162

edit just seen you have built an enclosure This severly limits the type of subs you can get as they will need to be specced to your chamber.

What size are each chamber in the box? (Please tell me its 2 seperate chambers :) ). Is it ported or sealed? What is the mounting depth available?

Best bet is to get sub first then build enclosure to suit. You can make your own for about £20 out of 18mm MDF

Megane 225 Cup
id shoot for something like audiobahn, or if arnt bothered about makes.. maystar make some quality stuff. thats what ive got.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
muzz said:
to get the best from that amp you want to be showing it a 1 ohm load. this will only be giving you 460 RMS so I would suggest a single sub with 2x2ohm voice coils. this will be far better than 2 subs showing 2 ohm as you would only be giving them 230 watts which is about what my mids get.

I take it you want bang for buck as well judging by the amp. Give me 5 mins

Muzz you talk like you know your shizzle, but in my opinion 230 RMS to a middle of the range sub (like i think he is after) will be plenty. I was running about 250RMS to two Alpine Type R's and the punch was awsome. But your right, a single quality sub like a JL W6 etc with 460 RMS wil sound better than 2 shite subs.

Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
Hey again,

Okay the sub enclosure isn't built in, it's a double 10inch box with two separate ported chambers, not sure on the size and it has a perspex window at the front. I only wanted to use it cos I already have it, it fits well, looks good and I thought two 10's may give me more punch but I'd need to spend a 100 per sub at least to get anything worth having so if you can suggest a single 12inch sub deal with an enclosure that's around the 200-250 mark I'd be really happy! Also I know it's tacky to some, but I like my blue neons so a fancy light up enclosure would be cool! Hope this helps? Thanks!
Dan.

muz

big fat japanese bus
right the ported enclosue is out the window, it would be designes for 2 specific subs so unless youy know what they are then you are in stoom

your £250 budget can buy you loads mate, hang on

Polo + Micra
i had one of those in 12" guise and would have sounded sweet but the amp was s**t.

you will need two of them to get full power out of the amp as they are dual 4s(2 or 8 ohm).

and to be honest they need a full 500wRMS each to get um going

Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
Okay I know it's not the real price but that must be a serious sub for that kinda money! I thinking something lower budget?

Polo + Micra
two of these

they are good lower in the range and if you do upgrade the amp the subs will take a fair bit more

muz

big fat japanese bus
Dink said:
i had one of those in 12" guise and would have sounded sweet but the amp was sh*t.

you will need two of them to get full power out of the amp as they are dual 4s(2 or 8 ohm).

and to be honest they need a full 500wRMS each to get um going

balls I thought it was DVC with 2 ohm coils, you cant get it in that config.

The ones below it in the range you can def get with dual 2 ohm

Last edited:

muz

big fat japanese bus
muzz said:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2431

don't look at the list price call CAD to see what they could do this for, might be close to your budget!

THey also do a specific enclosure for this on CAD This is a 400 RMS sub @ 1 ohm, your amp is perfect for this
this is lies!! I thought you could get it with dual 2 ohms coils, you cant :(

for best for that amp I would try to find a dual 2 ohm sub with about 400RMS handling. Will take a squiz around see what I can find

edit put a post on TA, can't find anything through usual channels :(

Last edited:
  Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
lol, I'm still pretty confused. So if I want one 12 inch sub, any suggestions on something that's around 200-250 with an enclosure. Got the moolaa just wanna get it ordered now so I can get it put in and pumpin! Thanks.
Dan.

Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
cheers dink,
so that is suitable for my amp? the price is spot on and it even looks nice! in terms of sound, should that be quite punchy/loud? just wanted some kind of idea! Thanks! Dan.

Polo + Micra
it's ideal as it is 4 ohms so should get the most out of your amp.

yeah should be fairly loud and punchy (i scored 141.9 dB with two of them on a rta)

muz

big fat japanese bus
Have I been drinking? Why did i think that amp was 460@ 1 ohm ?? Deary deary me :shake: not been getting much sleep lately ;)

so you have 460 RMS @ 4 ohm, 200-250 to spend on a sub?

you could have a DLS MW12 on oe the best sounding subs I have ever heard, so good I bought 2. It has 400 RMS handling, a beautiful magnmesium cone adn likes a tiny 1cu ft sealed box, you could easily make that yourself for £20 it has great SQ but can go loud, 1 on its own got me 139 db (Did have 600 RMS behind it though)