ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help urgently, please. Cup wing mirror.

172 Cup
Guys, I've got a bit of a problem here, I was washing the car and it just came off in my hands.. don't know how. Um.. I don't think anything is broken I just don't know how to get it back on. I haven't bought a Haynes as of yet (wish I had one now). Take a look at the pics, see if you can help me. :)

Here's the problem:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I should mention actually, that I had a problem with the mirror casing before it came off, since I got the car really. It's never been a good fit at one side, look:

5.jpg

I can squeeze it on so it fits right, but when I release my grip it comes off again, the catch ain't holding it:

6.jpg

As opposed to the other side:

7.jpg

So any help on how to get this sucker back on? And how to get the case fitting properly would be helpful. Also the car is under warranty until September, would this be covered? I have never had warranty work carried out on a car before. Thanks guys and gals.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Have you been working out??? ;)

Definately shouldnt do that mate, can't really advise you on the problem. Hope you get it sorted.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
IIRC they dotn come out of there !!! :S

Looks to have been damaged/Hit previously....

Is it snapped? or looks to be un-clipped?

It maybe a new mirror time ! :(

172 Cup
Honestly guys I just held the mirror in one hand and wiped it over with a wet sponge. As far as I know the thing ain't been hit before.

Nothing looks to be broken or snapped. I try and push it back into the slot, at first I thought it just pushed back in but apparantly not. The clip that holds the housing on isn't even broken, it just won't hold it on, it pops right back off.

Is this covered by the warranty? Or is it hand in pocket time?

take it to the dealer and cause fuss they would rather pay out for a wing mirror than loose your custom. i got a whole new engine in mine

black/gold 182
yep i would go back to where you had it from and ask them nicely to fix it and if that fails rant and rave at the fu*kers !!! hope you sort it, keep us posted ;)

172 Cup
Right, I've just been down to my local dealers. Got one of the service guys to take a look at it, he said 'it looks like a warranty job'. But he couldn't make the call so he went to fetch a manager type dude who was a complete t**t about it.

He basically said that Renault wouldn't pass this as a warranty job.
These things don't just come loose or we'd have them in all the time.
I've never seen this happen before.
Someone must've leaned on it or applied a lot of pressure to get it to pop out etc etc.

Then he's looking for wear marks around it and generally f**king around. So basically they won't do it because Renault themselves would never pass it as a warranty job.

I'm thinking of going to Crewe dealers and see what they say. What do you lot think? It's not far.

Oh and the casing has two clips broken on the inside apparantly, which I didn't know about. Maybe previous owner or Renault, god knows. He quoted me £109 for the wing mirror and base unit and £29 for a new cover, primed, not painted.

cock mobile.
Why can't you just get a mirror down the scrappy and swap the cover from that one!?

*edit* I just noticed you said the clips were broken on the cover, will it not go onto another mirror at all?

I certainly wouldn't be happy with Renault though!

172 Cup
Ok, I went to another garage and they can't help me under warranty either. However, they were more help than the last garage. I guess it's just not gonna get done. But the guy at this garage suggested that the metal part inside is spring mounted and might fix back together if it's pressed down hard enough, this makes sense when you look at it.

Fred, base plate and everything? Is it a 172 mirror, or are they all the same anyway? I live near Stone so I could pick it up from Yozzasport? That cool? Cheers.

172 Cup
Right guys, I've got good news. I've fixed it. And I'll tell you how...

After the guy at the garage suggested that the metal part inside the mirror might be spring mounted, I decided to get the clamp on it when I got home.

So here is where the spring is situated. It was rusty and quite stiff to move (impossible with your fingers) so I sprayed some silicone spray in there and left it a few minutes, which made one hell of a difference.

8.jpg

So I got a clamp on the metal part and the underside of the base plate (with an old rag to protect the base plate) as shown here:

15.jpg

12.jpg

And after a few turns and a few wiggles it snapped back on basically. So happy days. For those of you who've never seen the gubbings in a mirror:

9.jpg

And the finished product?

14.jpg

Ironically the cover is a better fit now. lol:

13.jpg

So, sorry for the massive post but I wanted this to be a sort of 'guide' incase it happens to anyone else out there. This has saved me £140 in total. £109 for the mirror and base plate and £29 for a new cover.

Thanks again to Fred for the offer of a new unit but I guess I won't be needing one now. :)

172 Cup
Don't know if it's worth a bump, incase a mod wishes to retain it for the guide section? Afterall, this could happen if another car wipes your wing mirror clean off.