ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need Sugestions: 172 engine swap or fully convert 1.2 to 172.

Mk3 clio 1.5
Hi everyone, I have recently bought myself a clio 172 as a donor car for my 1.2. I had full intention of converting my 1.2 into a 1*2 with possible turbo conversion in time. If you've seen my car already I have full 172 kit on.

Now I have them both in the garage, the 172 is spot on, bar some electrical faults and a knackered engine, the bodywork is imaculate. I have a complete working 182 engine spare which my original plans was to put in the 1.2. Now I have the choice to finish the conversion or just stick the engine into this 172, I know most will say just swap the engine, but I have had this 1.2 for 2 years and was previously a family car. Never paid for it so it hasnt cost me other than the work id be doing to it.

Rather than jut saying which is best, can anyone outline what the pro's n cons are of the conversion or just a engine swap, bearing in mind i struggle to get insured on this 172 for under 1k. my 1.2 with mods declared would be half atleast.

Thanks in advance.

Engine into the 172. A pro on both sides of the argument is at least a cambelt change is easier & cheaper with engine out so get that done first.

Your insurance on a 1.2 with body kit, aftermarket alloys, exhaus and engine conversion if you declare will most likely be the same if not more.

Another con for the 1.2 is getting to the same standard to handle that engine, I.e the suspension would need upgrading, braking system etc.

Much easier, less hassle & cheaper to just do the 172. Or another option sell everything a buy a tidy 1*2 with good history etc.

Mk3 clio 1.5
Yeah before engine was going in, cambelt, head gasket, spark plugs and possible water pump will be changed.

When I did a quote, I listed, upgraded brakes, alloys, engine modified (non standard) which was £579. 172 was 989 cheapest and only found one insurer which would insure. I wont be on road for about another 6 month alteast.

The brakes, suspension, hubs etc where going to be transferred onto the 1.2 if it was going to be done. Mileage is exact same, and both X reg. So no differnce that way.

Doing an online quote like that isn't any good. As it's not specific enough. As your car would still be showing as a 1.2.

Do the 172, it'll be worth more in the long run.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Yea do the 172, then insure it in parents name on direct line and become a named driver.
You will get no claims too.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Yea do the 172, then insure it in parents name on direct line and become a named driver.
You will get no claims too.
Advising insurance fraud isn't the sort of advice you should be giving on a forum.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Advising insurance fraud isn't the sort of advice you should be giving on a forum.
Its not exactly insurance fraud... Just inform them that the named driver will most likely use it more.
Its exactly what i did on my wifes car.. and i drove it 80% of the time

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Its not exactly insurance fraud... Just inform them that the named driver will most likely use it more.

Admitting insurance fraud on a public forum is as equally a dumb move as advocating it to others or doing it in the first place.

In answer to the OP, I'd drop the 182 engine in the 172, but I don't have an attachment to the 1.2 like you do.

Last edited:
  Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Admitting insurance fraud on a public forum is as equally a dumb move as advocating it to others or doing it in the first place.

In answer to the OP, I'd drop the 182 engine in the 172, but I don't have an attachment to the 1.2 like you do.

I'm sorry but if the Insurance people know about it and still allowed the policy its NOT FRAUD. I don't get what you don't understand?

Anyway sorry for thread derail, Let us know what you decide OP :D

Listerine & Poledo
"Asset" strip the 1.2 and roll it into a ditch.
Then claim on the insurance that its "been stolen"
Use the payout towards insuring the 172.....with a 182 engine (but keep that last bit quiet)

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
"Asset" strip the 1.2 and roll it into a ditch.
Then claim on the insurance that its "been stolen"
Use the payout towards insuring the 172.....with a 182 engine (but keep that last bit quiet)

Now this is insurance fraud ;)

Mk3 clio 1.5

Fraud Isnt the correct term. Thats falsely using someones details without permission. This is classed as insurance fronting, was brought up few years back as alot of people were doing this.

I have been drivong for 5 years and have 2 years ncb. Just hard to get insired below 25 on that car. I think the engine swap would be the easiest and prob best idea thinking about it. Just dont know what to do with the 1.2 instead haha. Wont be worth much more than a few hundred so doesn't warrant me selling it.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Fraud Isnt the correct term. Thats falsely using someones details without permission. This is classed as insurance fronting, was brought up few years back as alot of people were doing this.

I have been drivong for 5 years and have 2 years ncb. Just hard to get insired below 25 on that car. I think the engine swap would be the easiest and prob best idea thinking about it. Just dont know what to do with the 1.2 instead haha. Wont be worth much more than a few hundred so doesn't warrant me selling it.

How old are you?

I just turned 25 when i got my clio, with 5 years no claims and its £330 @ direct line.

You should be able to find a decent insurance company out there!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I'm sorry but if the Insurance people know about it and still allowed the policy its NOT FRAUD. I don't get what you don't understand?

Anyway sorry for thread derail, Let us know what you decide OP :D

Lol! Suggest you have a read of this, makes it pretty clear and also tidies up whether it is fraudulent or not.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/oct/14/fronting-car-insurance-costs-parents

My understanding was no insurer will put you as the named driver, and your parents / wife as the main drivers, if you tell them you are driving the car 80 per cent of the time. So...either your insurer mis understood you when you told them this, or you didn't tell them.

Or I'm wrong, in which case I'm happy to be proven wrong and take it up with my insurer to get my wife as the 'main driver' on the flamer.

Last edited:
  Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Lol! Suggest you have a read of this, makes it pretty clear and also tidies up whether it is fraudulent or not.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/oct/14/fronting-car-insurance-costs-parents

My understanding was no insurer will put you as the named driver, and your parents / wife as the main drivers, if you tell them you are driving the car 80 per cent of the time. So...either your insurer mis understood you when you told them this, or you didn't tell them.

Or I'm wrong, in which case I'm happy to be proven wrong and take it up with my insurer to get my wife as the 'main driver' on the flamer.

I think it was the fact my wife was 95% of the time in the car with me ;)