ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

negative camber on rear wheels

corsa D / 172 clio
hi guys

ever since i fitted a set of 15mm flat hub spacers and cooksport springs to my 182 i seem to have quite a bit of negative camber on my back wheels.

i know quite a few people like the look of it but as my car will never go any where near a track and i don't really hoooo it around much (too old now) i am wondering if i bought some more spacers with say 2 deg camber on them is it just a case of if i fit them one way i get neg camber and if i fit them the opposite way i will get pos camber (thus getting rid of the dead body in the boot look)? or is it not that simple?
im just after getting the rear wheels back flat on the road!

thanks for any help or advice anyone can give and please be gentle if ive just made myself look a kn*bhead :D

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
No wouldnt of thought so thats a fair bit camber mate ive got 1deg shims on mine and looks like youve got more! Have the spacers gone on perfectly smooth

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They might gain a little camber when you lower them, most cars do but I have never measured a clio specifically. and pushing the wheels out further makes it more obvious.

corsa D / 172 clio
No wouldnt of thought so thats a fair bit camber mate ive got 1deg shims on mine and looks like youve got more! Have the spacers gone on perfectly smooth

i thought so at the time mate but i will double check them just in case but its the same both sides so unless ive got it wrong twice i think they are right

corsa D / 172 clio
They might gain a little camber when you lower them, most cars do but I have never measured a clio specifically. and pushing the wheels out further makes it more obvious.

looking at the picture chip do you think it would be that much?
also going back to my original question would you say it would be ok to just fit different spacers with camber to bring it back into line?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think that looking at pictures is a terrible way to judge camber cause the bodywork isnt straight and just the angle you take from can make it looks massively different, get it actually measured

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Loads of cars with a beam gain camber when you lower them. Cossies look like John Wayne when dropped, but like I said I'm not sure if its a Clio trait or not. Depends on the beam layout and I've never paid it much attention.

Clio 172
Can someone explain how a fixed beam can change the camber of the wheels depending on the height? As far as I understand the wheels are fixed rigidly to the beam and the beam also has fixed geometry.

I understand camber changes on the front due to height but not the back?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Can someone explain how a fixed beam can change the camber of the wheels depending on the height? As far as I understand the wheels are fixed rigidly to the beam and the beam also has fixed geometry.

The beam twists when compressed, it depends on how and where it twists if the trailing section moves in the same vertical plane or if it leans slightly, like I said though, never tested on a clio so it might not do it at all.
But given that a straight hub spacer definately wont have changed the camber at all, just looking at what else might have, although I still think it might just be down to looking like its gained camber due to the rear arch shape rather than it actually have gained loads (unless the rear shims arent fitted correctly)

That's what I used to think until my brothers Astra started wearing the inside of the tyre just from lowering.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not many cars with a rear beam have the wheels move in exactly a vertical plane.

Its beneficial for the camber to increase as you lean over after all. So
So beams are generally designed to do this slightly.