ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nest Installation

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I bought a nest thermostat, we've just had our boiler replaced (donkeys year old one with hot water tank replaced with a condensing combi). Boilers currently wired into the plug socket until tomorrow when the nest gets connected up.

The current thermostat was in the hall (let me explain, it's 1920's London terrace, so when I say hall I mean enough space for the front door to open into) which is obviously a crap place, so yesterday I drilled through from the lounge into the kitchen (managing to miss a lighting cable that happened to be in the same place I needed to drill) and ran a cable round from the back of the thermostat to near the boiler. Now we've changed boilers we can do the kitchen up (needs it badly) and the cable can be buried properly.

Nest thermostat is now in the perfect location and there's no hanging cables in the lounge. (We had the lounge replastered last year so I wasn't about to go chasing wires in and redecorating)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Currently on training for it, it's so easy it's unreal!

Yeah, I could wire it with my eyes shut, but I can't be arsed to figure out which wire is what from the boiler (plus there's some electrics that need removing from the now defunct airing cupboard)...but seeing as it's not actually costing me anything (brother in law is a heating engineer, his mate is the electrician) I may as well save myself the time and hassle by getting somebody else to do it.

SQ5
Got it home and ready to install, my thermostat was nothing like any of the examples given in the manual so had to have a little think about it!

But it's in and now learning! Typical Monday were out till 8/9 usually and the heating just stays on, won't be now!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Brother in laws workmate came and installed it this morning and removed all the electrics from the old airing cupboard.

Me likey.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Something i use thats quite good is whatever google Siri is , I just say "set nest temperature to 20 degrees" and it does it..
Danny is right, there are minimal options to play with but its good how clever it is, the fact it downloads weather reports and then uses that to calculate how long it will take to warm up the house for when i get home from work.

SQ5
My house has stayed at 22-23 today so it can't learn time to temp very well! I'm going to try Siri and see if it works.

Edit: it says to set something up to get it to work so maybe just need to wait until home kit is released.

SQ5
Time to temp will take about a week to sort itself out, along with true radiant

Oh I know that, but with the sun out the house is staying above my normal temperature so it won't physically be able to tell what's going on heat wise.