ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Network at home

RIP Dan
I may have gone full r****d but....

Got BB at home with Thomson router.

Have my iMac, a couple of MBP and my PC notebook connected. Internet is fine, all happy.

Connected a Wireless printer to the network, comes up, shows up on the router.

Can I print or talk to it? Can I fcuk. In fact nothing on the network can talk to each other. When I ping the router it replies, when I ping Printer or iMac destination host unreachable.

So I talk to my provider as they supplied the router, they tell me to either go Apple or PC on the network, not both, and tick the box to apply same IP addresses to printer, iMac etc. Still won't work with just iMac and printer on network. If I change channel manually on the Wlan and switch printer and iMac off they can see each other when they come back on for a few minutes and I can print, then nada again.

Any ideas?

Have you added the printers to the computer?

Find out the printer's IP address then add it as an IP printer on the mac.

On the windows, add new printer. Select Local but untick auto detect. Select create new port - TCP/IP and put the IP in.

If that fails, as above, check if it supports mac.

RIP Dan
Supports OSX and have tried IP addy in TCIP, not working.

Don't see wtf I should upgrade the cunning thing, its only 20 days old from our BB supplier. There problem as far as I am concerned, although I don't think they have any idea.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
If I come across problems like this, I usually disable ipv6 (on the printer and on OS X & Windows) and problems like this normally end up going away.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
How the hell do I do that?

On a mac it's

Preferences/Network/[The Network Interface In Question]/Advanced/TCPIP and then set "Configure IPV6" to Off.

Windows, I can't remember, I try to avoid using it.

And the printer, well, it might have a screen on it or an web configuration page (in which case connect it via cable and see if you can talk to it).

RIP Dan
Didn't have that option, so I changed to my old net gear router.

Hey presto, saw Printer straight away on my PC over the wireless and installed etc, then did the same with the iMac and all working fine. So a load of old b****cks about pc and Mac not working on the same network, they are happy on the netgear.

Fcuking Thomson routers and idiots at ISP who are stupider than me even.

Thanks for everyones help though, gave me something to poke about with.

RIP Dan
Mmmm still a bit of hassle. Pc is all ok but the iMac seems to forget the wireless network sometimes. I had to reboot it last night before I went to bed and when I got up this morning it wasn't connected to the wireless. I clicked and it couldn't see it but the PC was fine. It saw it in the end but strange really.

I'll just plug the fcuking printer in if it keeps doing this but it was hassle to get on the net this morning.

RIP Dan
Yeah I saw on the net loads of hassle with them, thats why I changed to the Netgear. Will ring the BB provider and ask for a refund.