ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

network/cable issue?

Elise/VX220/R26
One for the networking gurus again :D

OK I've recently got a PC set up in the lounge for wathcing films etc. I have run a CAT 5 data cable up to my router upstairs. Plugged it in today and the little tray icon says "aquiring network address" but it never connects to the network it just says "limited or no connectivity"

Any ideas?

ta!

Elise/VX220/R26
yeah works fine on my laptop with a different cable . Am I right in thinking that the cable from the PC to router is straight through is the colours are the same both ends Thats how I've done my cable

Elise/VX220/R26
well I managed to fix the problem! Narrowed the fault down to the cable by testing the router on the proper made up cable and it was fine. Also made up a small cable and that worked fine. When I looked into it what I'd done was just wire both ends the same but it turns out you have to do it to the proper standard wiring colours as the TX/RX have to be on a twisted pair within the cable. Didnt realise network cables were that fussy!