ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

networked hard drive question

VX220 lightning
I want to get one of these so i can connect it via ethernet to my wireless box and almost use it as a remote storage system where I can stream videos etc from it.

Now after having a little dig around it seems as though not all networked hard drives (eg western digital ones) support this 'streaming function' which i think they call UPnp.

Has anyone got one which they could recommend which will do what I want or simply better inform me so I can make the right decision?

Thanks

Black Gold Cup Packed 182
Im using an external HD to do this which is connected to my pc, got it running through my network to my xbox through Windows Media Center. some vistas have media center built in, all you need is a Media Center Extender.

VX220 lightning
what is a media centre extender? i am using a mac if that makes any difference... got any products which you could recommend?

Black Gold Cup Packed 182
Search on the interweb for Media Center Extender, its like a box that sits under your tv which connects to your router, either wireless or by cable. I only know of windows media center, but as far as i know you cant get it on a mac. Its well worth getting it though if you have another pc. Im running a Dual tuner through my pc, which streams Tv to the other side of the room, can record, pause etc. a Database which holds all your movie info, online trailers, and a few channels which you dont get on freeview. Its like sky+ but better IMO. Oh and the Xbox 360 is also a Media Center Extender.

VX220 lightning
not sure if that is what I want tbh.... I have a macbook air and it only has 80gb hd. I want to have a hd which I can store all of my movies pitures etc on but I want to be able to connect to it wirelessly and stream off is, so essentially it will be like connecting a portable hd drive to the computer but without the wire!

not sure if that is what I want tbh.... I have a macbook air and it only has 80gb hd. I want to have a hd which I can store all of my movies pitures etc on but I want to be able to connect to it wirelessly and stream off is, so essentially it will be like connecting a portable hd drive to the computer but without the wire!

You just need a standard NAS drive then.

I reckon you'd be very well off with an Apple Time Capsule too.. bit more expensive, but things just work very very well with OSX.

It just mounts as a wireless hard drive effectively (which most NAS will.. but you'll probably find that the Time Capsule does things easier automatically.. I get the feeling the Time Capsule will just show up as soon as you connect to the network, whereas a normal NAS drive you may have to connect to it manually)

http://www.apple.com/uk/timecapsule/