ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 owner from the highlands

Clio 172
Hello everyone, new member/owner of a very rough 172 from Inverness

Found out through a friend about a local 172 that needed saved from the scrapyard! Went round to see the car and it is in quite a bad way mechanically and cosmetically. Quick mot check showed it was last mot’d in 2014!

I knocked on the chaps door to ask if it was for sale to which his wife stepped in and made it VERY clear she wanted the car gone (it was parked on the street so just a matter of time before someone complained to the council).
Chap told me that the clutch had gone, needed a timing belt and it was then just parked up looking sorry for it’s self because he couldn’t find a garage willing to take on the work, now in need of brakes, tyres etc from being sat for so long as well.
Exchanged phone numbers and after a few messages agreed on a price with the car bought the next morning.

Bodywork wise it is needing both rear arches repaired/replaced, new bonnet, wing mirror, n/s/f wing but I’ll find most of that at a scrap yard. Luckily I’m a mechanic by trade and also have guys I work with that are panel beaters/sprayers to take on the bodywork.

Will be having a good check over the car next week to see exactly what’s needing done, then it’ll be put into my garage to get it fixed up to be my weekend car that lives in the garage when the salt comes out.

BC785A23-9AF2-48A4-987D-5A67843CA44E.jpeg
FB7B3D9C-65CA-46FA-8F1B-232B5F8AE0DB.jpeg

Clio 172
Yeah it won’t be a quick turnaround but hopefully will turn out really nice. Needing a clutch and timing belt I’ll more than likely take the engine and box out completely.
Turns out it has a decat back ktec stainless exhaust which is a nice bonus!

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Hello everyone, new member/owner of a very rough 172 from Inverness

Found out through a friend about a local 172 that needed saved from the scrapyard! Went round to see the car and it is in quite a bad way mechanically and cosmetically. Quick mot check showed it was last mot’d in 2014!

I knocked on the chaps door to ask if it was for sale to which his wife stepped in and made it VERY clear she wanted the car gone (it was parked on the street so just a matter of time before someone complained to the council).
Chap told me that the clutch had gone, needed a timing belt and it was then just parked up looking sorry for it’s self because he couldn’t find a garage willing to take on the work, now in need of brakes, tyres etc from being sat for so long as well.
Exchanged phone numbers and after a few messages agreed on a price with the car bought the next morning.

Bodywork wise it is needing both rear arches repaired/replaced, new bonnet, wing mirror, n/s/f wing but I’ll find most of that at a scrap yard. Luckily I’m a mechanic by trade and also have guys I work with that are panel beaters/sprayers to take on the bodywork.

Will be having a good check over the car next week to see exactly what’s needing done, then it’ll be put into my garage to get it fixed up to be my weekend car that lives in the garage when the salt comes out.

View attachment 1584060View attachment 1584061
Another hairy highlander. Where aboots are you?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
As @hopgop1 said - its nice to see another being saved. I bet the previous owner's missus shouted "THANK FCUK!" when you finally took it away! :LOL:

Out of bizarre curiosity - given how bad the offside rear arch is - what's the area like in the filler cap? I think mine actually started bubbling in that area well over a decade ago, so it will be receiving the rear panel cut-out treatment at some point (hopefully this summer).

Clio 172
As @hopgop1 said - its nice to see another being saved. I bet the previous owner's missus shouted "THANK FCUK!" when you finally took it away! :LOL:

Out of bizarre curiosity - given how bad the offside rear arch is - what's the area like in the filler cap? I think mine actually started bubbling in that area well over a decade ago, so it will be receiving the rear panel cut-out treatment at some point (hopefully this summer)
Yeah I’m sure his missus will be delighted, unsure if mine is now I’ve acquired a 20 year old clio project 🤣
it’s still there outside the house. Hopefully be picking it up tomorrow 🤞
I did have a poke about in the filler cap, there was bubbles around it but seemed to be solid enough. I’ll get some more pictures when I get it in the workshop this week.

Clio 172
Well that’s the clio picked up and taken down to the garage, tried to get it going but the starter motor isn’t good enough, it did turn over a couple of times while hitting the starter motor but it seems to have died now. Will get another starter in it and go from there.

a bit of a strange one regarding the ‘f*cked clutch’.. the pedal it’s self feels ok, cable is moving freely so is the lever. Can select all gears no problem, however when it’s in gear the car can still be pushed about as if it’s in neutral.. I found this out when loading it onto the recovery truck, went to put it in gear to stop it rolling down the hill to hook the winch on and it tried to run me over 🤣

there was also quite a few presents from the last owner in the car, some wotsits that expired in 2014, a small trolly jack, half a packet of chocolate digestives (expired 2016) and some ‘tasteful’ stickers for the car, one of the boys from work found one and stuck it straight on🤣

CFECB8CD-CB37-4CB4-A1FA-BCF613029709.jpeg
C205150A-4E30-4C83-9528-652C17A8C3D9.jpeg