ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 182 - drinks fuel

182 Spiced

Ive had my 182 since fri. and its a scorcher! Got the silver with cup spoiler and its looks a Beauty Ill post some pics later...

Quick question: Have any of you noticed high high the fuel consumption is? Ive done 240 miles and the tank is nearly gone! The computer has gone from 12mpg to 27mpg. Ive taken it upto 5-6000 revs, and have gone fast here and there, nothing too major...

Ive also noticed a nudging or should I say small bump noise from the front left when I first move off. Any ideas?

Hope you can help...

240 miles from a tank is about right , espec if you got a little left, its a smal tank remember, its about what you get from these, your cosmumption will get slightly better with extra miles tho.

I had the same problem as you, consumption seemed very high in first couple hundred of miles, it gets better tho! Ive noticed that the guage drops from full quite quickly and hangs about low for ages, complete opposite of my civic so my brain is having to adjust! Driving up to Scotland last thurs I averaged 36mpg over 470 miles sitting about 80 most of the way.

The noise you are hearing is the ABS,nothing to worry about, I believe they all do this.

Happy driving...it gets better!

182 Spiced

Cheers guys, glad that one has been sorted.

What sort of running in have you given - if any? :)

Mine does around 300 to the tank..but i quickly add that this has been restricted to less than 4,000 RPM or around 80ish.

Hopefully it wont be too bad when normal driving resumes!

As for the bump noise from the front..i cant say i have noticed anything.

No other noises to report and all seems okay so far..congratulations on your purchase ..i hope it keeps your right foot happy for many miles

ClioSport 182

I got my 182 on Wed last week and doing the run-in by the book! No more than 3,500 rpm for the first 1000 km (at least this is what the manual says in Spain!). Im probably being a little over cautious ... Im itching to floor it and am getting fed up of watching everything go past me on the motorway! Ive only got another 500 km to go ...

KnightAzul

Mine was disturbingly heavy on fuel at first, done nearly 4k now and the consumption is much better. If you are using super unleaded then at my local garage its about 10p/litre more so money wise you dont get as far for your pound and this makes the consumption appear orse than it is.

Worth every penny though

182 Spiced

I have not really gone by the book... hoepfully that wont invalidate my warranty in anyway. Is that possible?

Quote: Originally posted by 182 Spiced on 31 May 2004

I have not really gone by the book... hoepfully that wont invalidate my warranty in anyway. Is that possible?
Nope theyll never know. You need to bed the engine in hard anyway for max power and ecomony.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,

My fuel efficiency is the same as yours Spiced. I also noticed a slight knock as i pulled away from being stationary. It felt like the clutch biteing suddenly. Seems to have stopped now, done about 400 miles in it.

dk

911 GTS Cab

I managed 300 miles once, i normally get about 29 mpg although i do have the climate on constantly which must make a difference and I carry some stuff in the boot and I am not the lightest person I know! Car has done 4k.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

mines done 3500

30 mile journey this mornin got me 43.5 (ranging between 40-80 on motorway)

got a piperx panel filter and run it on optimax always.

averages about 37 over a 7 day period. that includes quite a few heavy footed moments during the week. :) .. it works out nearly as good as a turbo diesel i had!

Ziel Nurburgring

woohoo, sensible sub 80mph motorway gets me 44mpg. Clarkson reckons cruise (If fitted) makes the mpg go down, and open window equals 5% reduction in effeciency (SP), so would a huge system. So its a radio, closed window and <78mph if your feeling pickey

Averages about 28-29mpg, just done 1500 miles total all fast A/B roads. Gives about 250miles to a tank.

Optimax made no appreciable difference though (my old Honda got a couple more mpg from it) so will stick to the normal stuff from now on I think.

Matt

You need the super stuff to get most power from the engine the ECU was programed for 97+ fuel so not using it means less power as the timming is retared to stop knocking (although you probably cannot tell).

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by mauricewt on 01 June 2004

mines done 3500

30 mile journey this mornin got me 43.5 (ranging between 40-80 on motorway)

got a piperx panel filter and run it on optimax always.

averages about 37 over a 7 day period. that includes quite a few heavy footed moments during the week. :) .. it works out nearly as good as a turbo diesel i had!

u sure you havent got a 1.2 mate, my brother only just about gets that in his 1.2 and my 1.4 megane only used to get 40?

do you have the climate control permanently on?

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

just dont put an airfilter on it.

will sap the power!

even my 1.4 16v gets about 31.3mpg and i rarely take it to the limiter in any gears.

Clio 197

Had my 182 a few months now. Done 7500 so far. Economy hasnt really changed since 2k. Torque/power got better and better, especially after 6k and an oil & filter change. Average 33mpg mixture of town & motorway & a roads....overtake as and when I need.... climate is always on.

oms

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 01 June 2004

You need the super stuff to get most power from the engine the ECU was programed for 97+ fuel so not using it means less power as the timming is retared to stop knocking (although you probably cannot tell).
Yup - Although it does sound slightly smoother on Optimax, Im hard pressed to tell any performance difference?

Matt

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 31 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by 182 Spiced on 31 May 2004

Nope theyll never know. You need to bed the engine in hard anyway for max power and ecomony.
This is not true. There is nothing to suggest any benefit from this type of run in Sure it will lossen quiker and maybe feel quicker but that experience is only from accelerated wear - it wont make it a better engine!

IMHO it is always preferable to introduce power and components graually allowing a smooth transition rather than giving it death when things are tight.

182 Spiced

I posted a new topic re: the exhaust gas mnonitoring light and for some reason it just vanished of the forum...?

Basically, light came on the dash on wed. called the AA > my dealer said theyll pick it up and will give you a courtesy car - ok I thought. Guy came down and said he can reset the fault, doesnt need to go back, not a major problem, but if the light comes on it needs to go back.

Listen to this, when I bought the car, the light was already on... - dealer took it round to the garage and cleared it - saying something wasnt setup by Reno.!! but it should be fine now.

No probs. so far, but it is drinking fuel. I put in £25 on wed and have done about 70miles. Ill be lucky to get over 120miles. Could the exhaust 02 monitor be at fault... i.e. causing more fuel to be used?

When idle, what are your revs...? As soon as I start it about 1500 then drop V. slowly to 1 and sometimes just below. After having driven it around, it normally goes below 1000 - but with a juddering noise every few seconds...

Any viewpoints would be appreciated! To top it all off the the passenger seat is squeaking over any bump, the bonnet is not straight, i.e. lined up correctly, and ive noticed the arch over the left front is not flush with the door panel - so far! arhh!

Dirty E91

I getting 32-33 mpg and about 240-260 from a tank at the moment, mixture of town driving and fast A roads. Only had it 2 weeks and coming up to 625 miles.

Hoping the fuel consumption gets better as more miles are put on the engine!

I hope the fuel consumption improves, mine is not too good yet.

I avoid the climate unless it is really needed because it saps about 4mpg.

Great car and to 182 owners I say forget an induction kit, too noisy and problems with warranty as it so obvious, get yourself a chip, worth 11bhp and a K and N element which fits in the standard airbox.

I wanted to up the power lots, but have decided to go with just the chip and filter and later maybe do the exhaust from the cat back, as the cat is very efficient on these cars.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by 182 Spiced on 04 June 2004

I posted a new topic re: the exhaust gas mnonitoring light and for some reason it just vanished of the forum...?

Basically, light came on the dash on wed. called the AA > my dealer said theyll pick it up and will give you a courtesy car - ok I thought. Guy came down and said he can reset the fault, doesnt need to go back, not a major problem, but if the light comes on it needs to go back.

Listen to this, when I bought the car, the light was already on... - dealer took it round to the garage and cleared it - saying something wasnt setup by Reno.!! but it should be fine now.

No probs. so far, but it is drinking fuel. I put in £25 on wed and have done about 70miles. Ill be lucky to get over 120miles. Could the exhaust 02 monitor be at fault... i.e. causing more fuel to be used?

When idle, what are your revs...? As soon as I start it about 1500 then drop V. slowly to 1 and sometimes just below. After having driven it around, it normally goes below 1000 - but with a juddering noise every few seconds...

Any viewpoints would be appreciated! To top it all off the the passenger seat is squeaking over any bump, the bonnet is not straight, i.e. lined up correctly, and ive noticed the arch over the left front is not flush with the door panel - so far! arhh!
the topic was moved to exterior, power and mechanical a few days ago. I have the same idling and the engine is known for bwing lumpy at idle. I dont get a very good MPG either, about 29 with a mixture of motorway and town but i do have the climate on all the time!