ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new 182 exhaust on the dyno

Hi guys,
so i have been getting my rb182 cup ready for a bit of track day action, new brakes rear ARb etc etc, and i decided to junk the exhaust .
I took it to my friends down at blueflame in skelmersdale, as i used to work there for 8 years on the bike side. I knew what i wanted and they built it for me on the car just right.I didnt want it too loud as i dont want to waste my money getting kicked off a track day for noise , but i did want to lose the cat. so i had a decat system made using a small round centre box and two 9x6 back boxes with 3" rolled out tips.
I took it to my friends at the local technical college motorsport dept to get it dyno'd before and after. I know there is a lot of B.S. talked about when it comes to dyno figures, but really all i wanted to know was how much i had gained with the exhaust. The actual figure is irrelevant to me as long as it goes well.
this is the before dyno chart, bog standard 182 cup with 80k miles on it.

clio1.gif

the instructor down at the college said he was impressed with the figures and the air fuel was spot on. ok ,a good start i thought. off for the exhaust.
exactly one week later and i was back at blackpool technical college for a re-run.

heres a little video of it on the rollers

th_MOV01307.gif

the college runs 2 formula renault cars, and guess what engine they use !! F4R. highly modified by renault factory . Nice!
DSC01299.gif

anyway, this is the result with the new exhaust.

clio2.gif

i was well impressed with the result. i can really feel the difference, it is a lot more urgent and immediately responsive now. to get a better idea here is the old versus the new on one graph, it really does make healthy gains everywhere.

clio3.gif

like i said i am not too bothered with bhp figures, it is the difference between the before and after that i wanted to see. I am very pleased with the results and it still fuels spot on.
Oh BTW after a 50 mile drive back from the blueflame factory, the lambda light turned itself off, and stayed off. bonus!

i did notice whilst i was under the car that the rear springs appeared to be odd,

DSC01310.gif

so i got on the phone to k-tec again (very helpful bunch down there) and ordered a set of eibach pro springs which arrived the very next day. great service.
All i have to do now is find time to fit them!!

cheers
Higgsy

When you say the lambda light went out, how come? Wouldn't the ECU presumably be seeing an open loop or was this nothing to do with the cat removal?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So let me get this straight, from you post the following things appear to be the case:

1) It fuelled spot on before
2) It now makes more power, so by definition must flow more air
3) The map hasnt been changed
4) It fuels spot on now.

Have I misinterpreted any of those things or are all of those things I listed fact in your opinion?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
10bhp and 12lb/ft from an exhaust? LOL. No

Only way that is happening realistically is if the "before" exhaust is completely knackered and losing loads of power, and hence the gains would have been similar from a replacement standard one.
Same as when people think they gain that much from a couple of silicon bends and a cone filter on the standard inlet manifold, if they do its only cause their old filter wasnt working correctly etc.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Dont let it bother you mate, its a forum, its not real life. Ask yourself, does the car feel good? If the answer is yes then it doesnt matter wether it has 25bhp or a million trillion bhp. You will learn on the forum that people get picky about certain things, this being one of them. I would go in to others but it would take too long lol. Dont let this put you off the forum though ive been a member on many and this is by far the best.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Dont let it bother you mate, its a forum, its not real life. Ask yourself, does the car feel good? If the answer is yes then it doesnt matter wether it has 25bhp or a million trillion bhp. You will learn on the forum that people get picky about certain things, this being one of them. I would go in to others but it would take too long lol. Dont let this put you off the forum though ive been a member on many and this is by far the best.

+1 . Well said that man :clap: Don't let this negativity about your exhaust put you off the forum , you'll get used to it . As long as you're happy with the results then that's all that matters :D

+1 . Well said that man :clap: Don't let this negativity about your exhaust put you off the forum , you'll get used to it . As long as you're happy with the results then that's all that matters :D

Completely agree that no-one should be too bothered by a bit of negativity. But I've learnt a lot from the "negative" coments - because they've seen it all before it can sound degrading, but those like chip who take time to explain their thinking are invaluable on any forum. It's just unfortunate that exhausts have been discussed over and over before.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Definatly mate, chip for example would be one of my 'go to guys' so to speak, that alone is worth £12 imo. take it as a pinch of salt and move on, is christmas after all :)

Definatly mate, chip for example would be one of my 'go to guys' so to speak, that alone is worth £12 imo. take it as a pinch of salt and move on, is christmas after all :)

... I think the OP probably has, unfortunately. I was genuinely interested in you findings Higgsy.

I'd rather get 20 comments, half of them might be unhelpful, but I'd rather that than a forum with no activity and each comment just echoeing what everyone else says... (like Trophy forum..:quiet:)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
yeah, tell me about it!

try to be friendly and helpful by posting about my clio experience and all i get is this.

see y'all later

All you get is people discussing it, its a discussion forum, why are you so offended?

Realistically unless you had a major problem with your standard exhaust, you wont have gained that much power, and if the fuelling was right before, and its right now, and the map hasnt changed, then where has the extra power come from? As if its now breathing more easily to make more power, and hence its flowing more air, then that means it WILL have leaned the fuelling out. Thats why I was asking about that, can you remember the actual AFR values at peak power before and after?

For example it might be that your fuelling before was 12.4 because the old exhaust was restrictive fro some reason, which is a little richer than ideal for peak power on these engines, and the new exhaust allowing it to breath slightly better has leaned it back out a touch so its now 12.8, both of which are in what most people would consider an "acceptable range" for these engines so thats why it looks like it hasnt change from you just saying it was fine before and fine after.

Did you get graphs other than just those screen shots there? If so did the graphs have AFR on them? If so I would appreciate it if you could post them.

182FF
All you get is people discussing it, its a discussion forum, why are you so offended?

Realistically unless you had a major problem with your standard exhaust, you wont have gained that much power, and if the fuelling was right before, and its right now, and the map hasnt changed, then where has the extra power come from? As if its now breathing more easily to make more power, and hence its flowing more air, then that means it WILL have leaned the fuelling out. Thats why I was asking about that, can you remember the actual AFR values at peak power before and after?

For example it might be that your fuelling before was 12.4 because the old exhaust was restrictive fro some reason, which is a little richer than ideal for peak power on these engines, and the new exhaust allowing it to breath slightly better has leaned it back out a touch so its now 12.8, both of which are in what most people would consider an "acceptable range" for these engines so thats why it looks like it hasnt change from you just saying it was fine before and fine after.

Did you get graphs other than just those screen shots there? If so did the graphs have AFR on them? If so I would appreciate it if you could post them.

But does it not correct for air flow assuming closed loop? So more air going through and the car then realises that more fuel goes through. My understanding was that the lambda sensor is there to correct for air fuel ratio.... and is there not also a mass flow meter?

HBT 172 Cup
But does it not correct for air flow assuming closed loop? So more air going through and the car then realises that more fuel goes through. My understanding was that the lambda sensor is there to correct for air fuel ratio.... and is there not also a mass flow meter?

Lambda only used for basic fuel trimming at partial throttle and under ~4k rpm, it won't correct full throttle fuelling.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

No mass flow meter on a 182, and lambda sensor isnt used at full throttle.

It will have had EXACTLY the same injector durations on both those runs.

182FF
No mass flow meter on a 182, and lambda sensor isnt used at full throttle.

It will have had EXACTLY the same injector durations on both those runs.

Lambda only used for basic fuel trimming at partial throttle and under ~4k rpm, it won't correct full throttle fuelling.

Ah right so! I should have realised the lambda wasn't involved at full chat, I've been watching the voltage with one of those bluetooth things and the "torque" app. It does stay rich at full throttle.