ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 182 STOP and BATTERY light with burning electrical smell

I have purchased a 182 yesterday and it has had a new battery fitted within the last week.
It drive home fine and had a slight burning smell to it.
That night the stop and battery light came on when braking and off when driving

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Clio 182
Alternator will be around 150 for a refurbished one I think.

Labour I couldn't say as I do mine myself.
Do some basic checks with a multimeter before you order one.

You need to know the voltage out the alternator with the engine running.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's worth checking the power supply terminal hasn't snapped at the alternator end. Thick red wire with a ring terminal on it. They usually corrode, weaken, then snap. I had this happen on mine.
Sometimes the nut for the terminal comes undone, sometimes it doesn't which means you'll need a new alternator anyway.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Defo get the aux belt if it goes huge chance when it does it takes timing with it, Mine snapped and timing belt was OK but dropped a valve a few days later the 100 quid it costs is worth it

The belts only gonna be an extra 25 quid he said so I think I'm gonna. Then from there straight to Custom Pipes to let them have a look at my loose, rattly exhaust and price up a decat! Hopefully will sort the battery light anyway as it had a new battery last week.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Well worth it, I have no facts to back this up but I find batterys and alternators tend to fail close together, I just had a decat and 421 manifold fitted car sounds better and it revs alot better well worth it imo

So it's booked in today for alternator. I was just making a short journey to take my girlfriend to work and on the way back the esp and service light came on. Followed by the airbag light. Then the radio went off then headlights then speedo? Would this be the alternator causing the battery to be on its last legs? Thanks

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Quite probably yes, if the alternator is failing it will cause all sorts of issues as the correct voltage isn't being maintained anymore

Clio 182
Identical symptoms to when my alternator failed.

It's your battery running out of power.
After the radio dies the engine stops shortly after.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Yeah I'd say your alternator had stopped providing a voltage to the battery. As the battery dies it'll play havoc with electrics, then finally conk out.

Had if last month with our Puma

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
It's worth checking the power supply terminal hasn't snapped at the alternator end. Thick red wire with a ring terminal on it. They usually corrode, weaken, then snap. I had this happen on mine.
Sometimes the nut for the terminal comes undone, sometimes it doesn't which means you'll need a new alternator anyway.
This happened to me only a few weeks ago. Fortunately I had a spare connector and fixed it in 20mins. I was expecting a 3 figure bill for a new 'nator, so was pleasantly surprised.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
The belts only gonna be an extra 25 quid he said so I think I'm gonna. Then from there straight to Custom Pipes to let them have a look at my loose, rattly exhaust and price up a decat! Hopefully will sort the battery light anyway as it had a new battery last week.
for £25 i suspect thats just the belt, but it really should be done with the tensioner as thats just a common to fail as belt.

It's in the garage currently and they said their just putting it back together they told me it was a pig to do? Never done one so wouldn't know. They changed the alternator and aux belt so it should be sorted. It's my first Clio so never sure just need to sell my EP3 now!

Got it back. The belt didn't come with a tensioner so it's back in on Monday to have that fitted as on full lock it's squealing a little bit so on Monday all should be sorted...hopefully haha. Not having much luck so far