ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Caliper Set up

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
ok, on wednesday im getting my brakes sorted, getting the renault 5GT (RSi) brakes, brembo pads etc...

is there anything that i need to bear in mind for fitting, like removing the brake lines, how can i stop the fluid pouring out of them and so on...

also, for changing the discs, those small torque screw bits are very mashed up, will renault have them in stock, or can i go to another place?

cheers

S2000
Renault should have the wee torx screws but tbh they aren't needed - they just make it less fidly when fitting.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
hmm, can i just clamp the line to stop the fluid coming out while they are off edde?

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
i want to be able to change the calipers etc... without draining all the brake fluid and re bleeding them

SamboRT said:
i want to be able to change the calipers etc... without draining all the brake fluid and re bleeding them
Why would you want to do that? Using the old fuild is a waste you need to bleed them anyway so why not bleed the whole circuit won't take much longer and you'll have to buy the fluid anway.

SamboRT said:
i recently had the current system bled with new fluid edde..
Duct tape then over the reservior then will reduce loses bbut you still have to bleed the fluid anyway.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
hmm, as long as they work sufficiently until i can get them bled the next day.

the calipers/dics will be gettin fotted in manchester so not at my house, then i will need to get my local garage to bleed them as i cant be bothered with the hassle

SamboRT said:
hmm, as long as they work sufficiently until i can get them bled the next day.

the calipers/dics will be gettin fotted in manchester so not at my house, then i will need to get my local garage to bleed them as i cant be bothered with the hassle
I wouldn't drive a car which had brakes with that much air in them thats one heck of a lot of air in there I'd hate for you to suddenly find you've no brakes on the drive back.

Why not fit the brakes at the local garage?

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
well my local garage where i get my work sone is national, they seem to only fit parts they have supplied for safety reasons...

i know the people that run the place and get my stuff done there.

how would air get in if i was to plug the lines at the end?

Lionel Richie
why are you fiting the R5/Rsi setup?? don't you have that as standard anyway??

you should've done the 16v/williams setup

172 mk2 Iceberg
put a bit of plastic over the brake fluid res and screw the cap on.. this will stop air getting in to the res. and so the fluid wont be able to flow out

FredYozzasport said:

Won't fit behind 13's though.

I'm confused why the setup though.

S2000
FredYozzasport said:

Not the same as standard as Sambo has a 1.4 RT. I would agree that with going for R5/RSi brakes you are as well going for 16v brakes usually as you just need the other carriers as the callipers are the same, but iirc sambo has 13's on his car so 16v brakes wouldn't fit behind the wheels.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
indeed donsro, yoz and fred... im keeping my 13's because i love the look of them, my brakes as all of you might know on a 1.4rt, the bendix setup is absolutely pants, so the biggest brakes i can fit under my 13's would be the RSi/GT setup.

getting them fitted today so i will let you all know if they are much better lol!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
ok, im going to give my car brakes a pop now, what order should i do things and what technique so dont get alot of air in the system... as long as it brakes ok until i get to national later for them to bleed the brakes.

cheers

SamboRT said:
ok, im going to give my car brakes a pop now, what order should i do things and what technique so dont get alot of air in the system... as long as it brakes ok until i get to national later for them to bleed the brakes.

cheers
Do what bleed the calipers do you mean?

Doens't matter there is a process but so long as there done right it doesn't seem to matter.