ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New cambelt change now a strange supercharger noise

172 SPORT PH2
hey guys, as you all know for thos who read my previous messages, my valves bent on my clio.. so the car had to be stripped and stuff... ok im just gonna get straight to the point

The cambelt is on, and started it without the alternator belt etc on.. it sounded sweet, and gave it a few revs - all ok , all clear...

So put the alternator belt on etc etc, put everything back together....

Now the alternator belt has being on.. its making a whirling / screaming / supercharge noise when you rev the car....

what could this be...

Could it be too tight, could it be one of the rollers.. the area is comming from where the alternator belt is, could it be the alternator?

Any sugestions... as before the alternator belt went on, the car sounded sweet.. the cambelt sounded fine etc... but now 2mor its stripping down again to find the noise unless someone here had the same problem or could help me

All i can describe it as is a high pitched noise like a supercharger noise comming from the belt area... ?

CLIO 172 CUP....
i no you said it wasnt making the high pitch noise when the alternator belt was off. bit if it was me i would take it off once more time and just see if it is still making the noise still and if it isit making the noise once it off then you no it 100% it is some think to do with belt or some think like that then ther would be no need to strip it down would ther..

172 SPORT PH2
yes exactly, the plan 2mor is to take the alternator belt off again, then re-start it without that on and see if its there.. if it is, we know its the cambelt, But it wasnt making the noise before... im preety sure it the alternator belt.. it could also be might of over tighten the belt or even the pully if that can be done...

its just a pain to take the belt off again, to see if the noise is the cambelt or the alternator belt! ugh.. plus the clio's dont make it easy for you.. there is no space to move... But did manage to fit every thing without taking engine out which is good :) bdw, only took 2 days to replace strip head etc... most of that time was fiddling about with the nuts and bolts lol!

The only adjustable tensioner is on the cambelt and he said the noise is only there with the aux belt on, so probably not that.

Is it routed correctly? Could be rubbing on something if not.

Did you use a new aux belt kit, with new pulleys?

Octavia VRS LE
have you got any speakers amped?? because when i amp my 6x9's i get a supercharger whistle for some strange reason.... its probably my dodgy wiring...

I can't see if it has aircon or not (cup or non cup) - if it has aircon I'll suggest checking the lower idler pulley (small silver pulley at the very bottom of the aux belt routing.)

Listerine & Poledo
keechy - Alternator drive?
Tom - recently had to have an aux-belt put back on, could well have been done badly (AA dropped me to Nationwide :( ), could this be a route of the air-con fail?

Mine made a weird noise when getting into high rev's after having it changed.

Turned out the pulley it sits on has grooves around it with different positions/widths of belt depending if the car has air con or not.

My belt had been put in the wrong position.

Might be completely off but worth a look.