ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car, cam-belt supposedly just changed.. how to check?

Clio 182 Trophy
I'm picking my other half's 182 cup up on Saturday and they have supposedly just changed the cam-belt as part of the deal (changed it yesterday they said). How can I check this? I had a quick look in the dark the other night and tbh the belt didn't look 'that' new, but it didn't look that old either.

Does anyone have a pic of the tensioner that should have been changed... it should look new? or is it not visible without removing bits.

EDIT: I have done a search and I know this has been asked before, but i've yet to find an answer relating to a cam-belt change within the last 1 mile of the car!

Cheers,

Edd

Mk2 Ph2 172
The only way to check the belt is by taking the covers off, and checking the belt and pulleys to see if they are new !!!

Clio 182 Trophy
which pulleys should I be looking at? don't suppose you have an image?

Is the belt cover off a quick job?

Mk2 Ph2 172
Its involves taking off the o/s engine mounting for starters

Here is a quick picture i found and up loaded while in the shiter ;)

633925ec.jpg

It still has the timing tool attached but you will get the idea

Clio 182 Trophy
cheers mate, so i'm looking at the 3 smaller black tensioners?

The belt did not have any bright white writing on the outside iirc :/

Mk2 Ph2 172
So you removed the covers to see this belt ???

If you just looked in the engine bay without taking anything off with tools, you would have seen the aux belt and not the timing belt !!!

Clio 182 Trophy
I haven't removed any covers yet, not with the car unfortunately. Correct me if i'm wrong then, but I thought I can see the cambelt as it goes over the large top/right pulley (in your pic) from just looking town into the engine bay?

Thats not the Aux belt is it?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You CANNOT see the cambelt without removing covers.

You are looking at the Aux belt.

Clio 182 Trophy
OK fair enough, thanks for that. I guess that's why its looking a little older then.

Volvo S60 T5
Why not check to see if the engine has the 2 camshaft caps near the throttle body changed, they have to be removed to fit the cam locking tool into place , chances are if they have been changed the belt has been as well.

Clio 182 Trophy
cheers for that, do these comes with the belt kit? if not, I guess they could of just reused the old ones?

I will have a look at my car tomorrow for reference. Cheers mate.

275 Trophy
If they've used a proper kit then yes they should of fitted new cam seals. The should also of changed the aux belt, so this should also be new because if this fails it can take the cam belt out.

Clio 182 Trophy
cheers guys, I will have a check of the core plugs.

Not sure if they have done the AUX belt, but think it has had one fairly recently.

They have stamped the service book, but they have an inhouse workshop that did the work, and this is part of the deal for the car so no invoice etc.