ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car

RS Clio 172 Cup
Hey people,

Recently my Ph1 172 was wrote off, and getting paid out this week. Anyway i have been looking at getting another 172, but every one I like and want seem to sell before i get chance. Must of looked at 100's of CS.

My budget really was £2500max.

Anyway today, i was browsing eBay, and came across this below:

Did checks on it first as it was recorded as CAT C (Girlfriend works insurance company) came back as minor CAT C in March 2005. Not reported as stolen, no finance, etc....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170418104204

Bidded and won it for £1800.

So spoke to bloke about paying for it later this week and asked him few questions, then he said it didn't have no MOT or Tax (his friend made c**k up when he placed advert on eBay), and that he would let me have it for £1600 instead. He said he services it himself, fast car, no engine knocks and it runs sweet, bodywork good condition, etc.

So i brought for £1600.....

Anyway as my budget is £2500, that leaves me with £900, to sort out MOT, tax, service and to do the tracking and whatever else (Ph2 lights);)

So to be honest, if it passes MOT, without no problems, do you think i've got a bargain???

No, not really. It's a Cat C car with no tax, no MOT and no service history.

Tax is £200 a year. If it needs a few tyres, brakes, suspension or anything else then your budget is going to disappear.

I'd have told them to MOT it.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Cat C ph1 for £1,800? Blimey. I thought mint ones went for £2,500? Seems alot of money to me for a bent car.

172, Tiguan
As Dan said really. Unless it sails through an MOT in which case, I guess it's alright.

S3, Polo
Not a bargain mate, sorry. Especially when you consider that you *should* be factoring in:

- A £700+ cam/ aux belt service
- Tax £200
- MOT (£50) and whatever that may throw up (being a Cat C - this could be anything or nothing, depending upon the quality of the repair!)

I thought mint ones went for £2,500?

:lolup: Seriously? A mint '02 Cup for £2.5k?? No. :dead:

Editing out the first part of Jamie's post makes that a pointless quote.

He, the same as I, thought he'd bought another Ph1. As that's how it's worded.

It's not quite as bad as it's a Cup, but it's still not a good deal in any way, shape, or form.

Nissan 350z
If you've just had a 172 written off you might want to look at the insurance costs before rushing out to get another 172. I imagine its probably going to have increased... alot :p

RS Clio 172 Cup
Cheers for comments guy. Mostly negative... Like i say, got it for 1600quid, which i would say is a bargain for a 2002 172 cup. I have 900quid to send on MOT, tax, tracking and what ever else it throws at me. I'm in no rush to get it back on the road, as i have a works van.

Plans are for next Monday:
MOT - 40quid for test
Sort Insurance
TAX (6months) 120quid
Tracking - 40quid
and hunt for some Ph2 standard rear lights
and a full detail.

So with test, tax and tracking it is 200quid, so overall that gives me 700 for any repairs, and a service which I'm gonna do myself.

Belt will be done next month, but to be honest most CS I have been looking at require belt to be done next year, so had that planned to do if i brought another CS.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Revels is for a change (;)) quite right. Filter at work so from what was being said I assumed it was a ph1 172 not a Cup.

RS Clio 172 Cup
Should of just fixed up you ph1 tbh, wouldn't have cost much imo.

I would of done it, but in the end fancied a change of car. In the end, brought it of insurance company and sold it for more. So had the budget, to buy something newer, then saw this and decided it would be a project for myself, as i never stop wanting to do summat to a car......

S3, Polo
Editing out the first part of Jamie's post makes that a pointless quote.

He, the same as I, thought he'd bought another Ph1. As that's how it's worded.

It's not quite as bad as it's a Cup, but it's still not a good deal in any way, shape, or form.

Sorry, but I've not idea where the assumption that this was a Ph1 came from (aside from the OP's avatar)? :S

The link in the OP *clearly* shows the car as being a Ph2 Cup, hence my response to Jamie's post (selective oversight of the Ph1 comment and prohibited links though, sorry!).

Apologies for any offence Jamie, and good luck with the new car Mark. :)

Last edited:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Sorry but id never buy anything thats been repaired regardless how good the repair was purley because trying to explain this to the next potential owner comes with absolute ball ache

RS Clio 172 Cup
Guys,

Went to have a look at it tonight before i departed with my cash later this week, and overall it looks OK. Did a full check on it. Engine was started from cold. No funny noises or knocking. Checked oil cap and coolant. Looked spot on. All tyres had plenty of life of tread. Suspension looked fine. No leaks from exhaust. Body work looked good. Belt will need doing next year, as I always do the belts on any car i buy. Took me on a drive around estate. Gears felt fine, brakes ok, and drove as i should.

He explained that he has had it since begin of year, and has be caught speeding a few times so his insurance has shot up, and therefore cant afford to insure it anymore. He seemed to be a genuine bloke, and he did expect to sell it for more on eBay. As it hasn't got MOT or TAX and it was previously a CAT C, he decided to sell it to me for 1600quid.

It was a CAT C because it had O/S damage to rear panel, door, and front wing, but looked like it was repaired spot on. Accident happened in March 2005.

So overall it needs a MOT, taxing, service and tracking. Oh i forgot some Ph2 standard rear lights.

My budget is 900quid to get it back on road, so fingers crossed.....

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I'd have bought it for £1600 :)

The way i see it is hopefully for £2500 you should have an mot'd, road legl tidy looking cup.

I've seen cat 'c' phase 2's go for that much (£2500) in the past on this very forum....

As long as your planning to keep it for a few years you'll soon get your moneys worth out of it, sod it being a cat 'c' at the end of the day its always gonna be worth between £1200-£1500 even in 2 or 3 years time?! no matter what the age of it is.....they will always sell as track cars and there always be some demand for clio sports due the nature of the beast!

So worst case scenario you lose a grand and a bit on it after after a couple of years fun? i'm sure most of us have lost more that in depreciation on a car at some point.

Good luck with it and keep us updated!

RS Clio 172 Cup
Cheers Gavin J...

Hopefully will keep it for a few years. Will be getting company car soon, so will be used as a weekend toy.

I've always been into fiddling around with cars, and I always stand back from a car and just think what can i do to it, wheather its checking fluids to tidying it up. So its gonna be my project car. I've got no rush to get it back on road.

Service will be done by myself, and any reasonable repairs it throws at me from the MOT, so will be keeping costs down.

Fingers Crossed it all goes fine. Once i get it, i will start a project thread for everyone to see.

Golf GT TDI
good luck with this mate, my friend bought a damaged cup in 2005 came on here and everyone was slating him for buying a car that needed "tlc" but think they were suprised when they saw it finished.

just sort the lights;)
bonnet
wheels
grill
washer blanks
bloody good service/check over and your pretty much there

RS Clio 172 Cup
good luck with this mate, my friend bought a damaged cup in 2005 came on here and everyone was slating him for buying a car that needed "tlc" but think they were suprised when they saw it finished.

just sort the lights;)
bonnet
wheels
grill
washer blanks
bloody good service/check over and your pretty much there

Cheers Jordan

Will be leaving bonnet as it is for now til i get money for a respray.
Wheels - Hopefully some standard 172 Cup, when money comes along.
New Sport grill
Didn't notice washer blanks, but will get them.
And yes, it will get full service. Got next week off, so will be trip to buy next filters, Oil and the rest....

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Some inspiration this was my cat 'd' when i got it,
clio172iceburg007.jpg

clio172iceburg006.jpg

Yep it had been attacked by a hammer or an axe! :mad: all but one window had been smashed.....

Now,

S5001259.jpg

S5001282-1.jpg

Saved a fortune by doing 95% panel work myself, low mileage and runs faultlessy despite its run in with an angry scottish person at somepoint in its life!!

cat d is usually panel damage where as cat c is chassis damage , so if he told you it had wing damage and stuff he is more than likely talking rubbish , you have got to remember that the car would of been wrote of because the damage was worth more than the car so it would of been easier to pay out , and a wing and rear quarter wouldnt be £2500-£3000