ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 1.5Dci Dynamique

306 GTI-6
Well, my MK2 Ph2 1.6 is in for its 36k today, and this is what I got for my courtesy car:

DSC00657Small.gif

DSC00655Small.gif

DSC00658Small.gif

So i thought I would write a small review. Won't have much time to drive it as I have to wait in for some deliveries today, but I did give it an extended drive back from the garage first thing this morning.

First Impressions:

Exterior: Well, I have never been a fan of the new shape clio. I feel the non sport models sit way too high and of course follow the trend of getting bigger and bigger as the years go by. I was however, impressed by the build quality. It now feels more like a proper car. This was apparent the moment I opened the door, it just feels more crisp and well put together.

Interior: Again, much better put together and definitely a lot less rattles than previous incarnations. Everything just feels of a higher quality. Ok, now for the niggles. Driving position is always something that gets criticised in the Clio, and although I agree that the position in my 2003 Dynamique is far from the best, I have to say that this appears to be worse. The adjustment available on the seat to move it back and forth does not have small enough increments. I found it would either be too far away or too close, so I elected too close as I felt this was safer. I also found that even with the seat all of the way down, I was sittin 'on' the seat rather than 'in' the seat. Of course, for people of differing leg and torso length they may be able to get it just right. The grab handles on the doors just aren't in the right position, they feel awkwardly placed and too far forward on the door. Finally, I didn't find the guages as easy to read as in my car. Don't get me wrong, everything you need to know is there, it just doesn't feel as intuitively placed.

Drive: Now this is where i was impressed. I have never had the opportunity to drive a diesel engined car in anger. My only previous driving in a diesel was on my driving lessons. I found the engine pulled very well and also accelerated smoothly. Though I did notice a lack of power in 4th. Nothing that couldnt be remedied by dropping down another cog though. To be honest, I felt that it would give my 1.6 a definite run for its money, if not actually beat it. Fuel economy shows an average of 54.0mpg, though being a courtesy car I suspect this is lower than normal due to the 'Drive it like you stole attitude' everyone adopts in such a vehicle. Body roll is more than on my car, but then mine is lowered on eibach proline suspension so I did expect this. Both road noise and engine noise is very low whilst driving, and there is no annoying whistle from the driverside wing mirror at speed. I found engaging reverse gear was a little hit and miss, as there was not a positive enough feel to tell you it was in the backwards gear.

So performance and build quality wise, I would not hesitate in recommending this car. Though I think it comes down to if you like the look of the car. I must admit that the RS models have grown on me massive;ly and now I thnk they look really good, with lots of road presence. The non-sport models IMO need lowering and some bigger wheels and I think they will be a great car.

Well, all of that is just my opinion, thought I would share it, and would be interested in hearing the views of other members who have driven/own a new shape clio.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
I use 1 of these cars every day to teach in, 1.5 DCi 106hp, pulls very well and top speed of 128moh gps recorded 136ish on the dials... German Autobahns of course.

I use it to teach in, and i know exactly what you mean by seat positioning... but i find once you fiddle for a few days you get the knack and find it easy to get comfortable in.

I normally get 52mpg, but bear in mind its mainly around town, with Learners, stalling, over revving wrong gears etc, 52mpg is pretty damn good.

Also my DCi has the 6 speed gear box out of the 197 & 225. Gear changes are lovely and smooth although i wish 6th was more longer ratio... sometimes wish it had 7 gears...

As for build quality i had the New focus before hand (AA Leanrer Car) and the clio feels so much more better put together than the Focus.

Also done 12,000 in 12 weeks nothing gone wrong expect for a puncture on the front Drivers wheel.

CB600FS
Also my DCi has the 6 speed gear box out of the 197 & 225. Gear changes are lovely and smooth although i wish 6th was more longer ratio... sometimes wish it had 7 gears...

Its out of the 197 but not the 225. Renault fckued up 6th gear big time on the TL4 - 182 owners where calling out for a 6th gear you could just drop it in and cruise at 110mph+, not a 6th gear for acceleration which they got.